Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #21
Gir
Death is hereditary.

The SOTA Pumpkinhead is 18" tall. The Sideshow Pumpkinhead is 27.5" tall including the base. If the two pieces were in the same scale, the Sideshow one's base would have to be 9.5" tall. I doubt that. I'm pretty sure the Sideshow one is bigger.

Also, while I'm sure the SOTA Pumpkinhead will provide the most bang for your buck, I sincerely doubt it will look as good as the Sideshow one, which is being designed by Stan Winston Studios.

If I liked the Pumpkinhead character, I'd probably go with the SOTA one, too, because it's a much better value. Let's be realistic though. The Sideshow one is going to be a higher quality piece.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

What's SOTA?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #23
Spliff
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir
The SOTA Pumpkinhead is 18" tall. The Sideshow Pumpkinhead is 27.5" tall including the base. If the two pieces were in the same scale, the Sideshow one's base would have to be 9.5" tall. I doubt that. I'm pretty sure the Sideshow one is bigger.

Also, while I'm sure the SOTA Pumpkinhead will provide the most bang for your buck, I sincerely doubt it will look as good as the Sideshow one, which is being designed by Stan Winston Studios.

If I liked the Pumpkinhead character, I'd probably go with the SOTA one, too, because it's a much better value. Let's be realistic though. The Sideshow one is going to be a higher quality piece.
I've seen SOTA's Pumpkinhead in person, and it's well over 2 feet tall and towers over their Lord of Darkness.
Spliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #24
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The SOTA Pumpkinhead is a very well made and finished posable action figure, as is their Legend Lord of Darkness. But at 18" tall, it's almost 10" smaller than Sideshow's statue.

I don't think most people realise just how big Sideshow's Pumpkinhead is going to be - it's almost 4" taller than the Predator maquette!

In person the SOTA won't come anywhere near Sideshow's piece for quality, just as a giant McFarlane toy wouldn't, but whether Sideshow's is worth hundreds more is a personal call I guess.

KInd of bad luck for Sideshow that they're coming out together..!
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #25
Spliff
Birdman

18" SCALE isn't 18" TALL.

As I said before, I've seen their Pumpkinhead in person, and it's bigger than the LoD who clocks in at 24".

I know it's like comparing apples and oranges as SS is making a maquette while SOTA an action figure, but they're both the same size, yet SOTA's is ALOT cheaper and still a great deal.
Spliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I'm hoping to pick the SS piece up cheaper off ebay.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #27
robomorph
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spliff
18" SCALE isn't 18" TALL.
Okay, point taken. I think SOTA should revise their scale descriptions however, as it's quite misleading. Many of the vendors offering it for presale describe it as 18" in size. It would be much more clear to refer to it as 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale etc. Describing it as being in the 18" range doesn't tell you anything about the size of the piece.

It's a shame they didn't make it a solid statue really. I just hate the nasty joins in posable action figures. I bet the original sculpt rocks!
robomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
srne
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Having seen both the SOTA and SS/SW pieces (and having worked with/for both companies), the SOTA is not even in the same league as the Winston piece. It's a fantastic cheap alternative, but isn't even close in terms of size and quality. Lets not forget that the SOTA figure is just that, a figure, and the final factory paint won't even come close to that promo photo.

Again, good CHEAP alternative, but for someone who wants a true representation on P, you gotta go with the SS/SW piece.
srne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #29
srne
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General
What's SOTA?

SOTA is/was an FX company that did a lot of the low budget slasher films of the 90s (ie - Children of the Corn Part 10,000-1,000,000... you get the picture). They branched out into toy prototyping when the blood and guts FX side was dropping off.

SOTA - actually stands for "State Of The Art" although within the FX circles, they're more commonly known as "SH#T Out The A##" because of their toss it together in a weekend for $10 mentality. The owners are nice guys and Jerry is quite good at sculpting toys. I will say that.
srne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #30
ResinDog
A day without sunshine is like... night.

This SS/SWS piece looks very cool but all I can say is, thank god I am totally oblivious to this film and character - one less piece to worry about spending big money on!
ResinDog is offline   Reply With Quote