Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #41
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I just read over on a local Transformers forum that it was very VERY busy and crowded. It'll be interesting to hear what Rod says, to hear it from a seasoned con-goer (I suspect maybe the attendees from the other forum perhaps weren't prepared for lining up an hour at a time, though I may be wrong).
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #42
BoloMusashi
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
And c'mon Rodders - we haven't heard from you as yet as to how the show is going and what you got!
Yeah stop squirrelling the goods
BoloMusashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #43
Rocket
Art of Mod

hahahahaha Sorry guys I am wiped after two nine hour non stop drives in as many days I will say however that Song is totally right, the crowds were FANTASTIC (or not so much depending on your patience levels ) Seriously, VERY similar to Melbourne crowds for much bigger "name" guests, so that was even more promising and IMO spoke volumes about the Adelaide people really wanting cons in their neck of the woods. In all honesty, while I did come across some "con issues", the method for celebrity photo collection immediatley comes to mind, I have to say straight down the line, and especially as a debut con, that this event was handled with aplomb. I'll start a full con thread tomorrow, but small things like the volunteers, floor set out, etc were streets ahead of both Aramgeddon and Supanova in terms of foresight.

On the negative side, the stalls and merchandise were severly lacking. Funnily enough, that may have been a product of two things. One, I got the impression that a lot of dealers may have shied away from the "risk" of going hard at a new con, and two, I'm not sure many of the stalls that WERE there, were quite prepared for the turnout! Many booths were at 1/3 of their stock levels by Sunday morning and unable to replenish!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #44
Rocket
Art of Mod

Oh and it happened again I had a new friend come up to me and ask if I was Rocket from Statueforum And Ryan, I told you I'd type this, so STOP LURKING AND START POSTING MATE!! If for no other reason than to share that stunning Jim Lee Magneto
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #45
blink90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Oh and it happened again I had a new friend come up to me and ask if I was Rocket from Statueforum And Ryan, I told you I'd type this, so STOP LURKING AND START POSTING MATE!! If for no other reason than to share that stunning Jim Lee Magneto
Glad to see my art got home safely. Whoops, I meant Rocket, glad to see that Rocket got home safely

Very soon we'll have Supanova, Armageddon and OCC putting up Rocket's name and profile in the guest list.

Looking forward to hear how it all went, I did hear that day 2 was much much quieter but that's generally the case (although I remember SuPERTHnova being very active on the Sunday as well).

Jim Lee Magneto?!? Ryan, I think you just became our new best friend.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
jollyskeleton

Quote:
hahahahaha Sorry guys I am wiped after two nine hour non stop drives in as many days I will say however that Song is totally right, the crowds were FANTASTIC (or not so much depending on your patience levels ) Seriously, VERY similar to Melbourne crowds for much bigger "name" guests, so that was even more promising and IMO spoke volumes about the Adelaide people really wanting cons in their neck of the woods. In all honesty, while I did come across some "con issues", the method for celebrity photo collection immediatley comes to mind, I have to say straight down the line, and especially as a debut con, that this event was handled with aplomb. I'll start a full con thread tomorrow, but small things like the volunteers, floor set out, etc were streets ahead of both Aramgeddon and Supanova in terms of foresight.

On the negative side, the stalls and merchandise were severly lacking. Funnily enough, that may have been a product of two things. One, I got the impression that a lot of dealers may have shied away from the "risk" of going hard at a new con, and two, I'm not sure many of the stalls that WERE there, were quite prepared for the turnout! Many booths were at 1/3 of their stock levels by Sunday morning and unable to replenish!
Rod! I didn't know you were here! We could have met up lol. 2 weeks time then

For those who don't know, Song = Me

I was quite puzzled regarding their photo collection system, seeing that that pretty much forced people to stay at the convention for an extended period of time. I have to say that the volunteers handled the crowds pretty decently and as far as I can tell, there weren't really any tight squeezes and temperatures (both literally and figuratively) didn't rise. Everyone was cool about it even whilst waiting in line. Very encouraging I think.

The comic panels I think were placed in a non overly ideal location, without much space to move about at all.. sorta smack in traffic.

Panels seemed to be handled pretty decently, though I hardly think they were prepared for such a huge turnout for certain guests. Sean Astin said he was really impressed at what seemed like the whole Adelaide turning up on Saturday morning at 10am and I'm actually inclined to believe him. Lol! I've been here 3 years and I hardly ever see such a strong show of participation

Merchandising was a tad disappointing, but it gets a little repetitive after a while and I don't even bother looking anymore. Now maybe if Sideshow had a booth... hmmm.

Very resounding success I think, and Armageddon would probably be slapping themselves for deciding to pass on Adelaide this year. lol
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #47
67wm
The Flash

Quote:

BAH!! less talk and more pics!!!

glad to hear you made it back okay - look forward to hearing the con review
67wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #48
Royd
Producer
Producer

Great to read about your experiences gents! I look forward to hearing more about estimated numbers etc. (if known) although that may take a little while.

I know that when Supanova Perth started in 2008, it had an attendance of around 8,300 but this has built up to 17,500 last year. It appears that Adelaide supported Oz Comic-Con very well and I hope they also turn-out for Supanova Adelaide later in the year
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #49
blink90210

Alright, after keeping you guys in suspense for too long, I can now put you out of your misery
Now I have nothing to say about the con except that by all accounts it was a success. I really wished I could have been there but work got the better of me. Luckily Rodney was able to help an Asian brother out and pick up something for me. I'm a huge fan of Freddie Williams and just had to have him contribute to my sketchbook. Without further ado -

Inspired by a recent piece which you've all seen. You may note that he really filled the whole page. The ink is also applied quite thickly, to the point where it's almost textured like acrylic paint. I'm so happy that Freddie could do it and of course in debt to Rocket for being my mule.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Awesome piece Ken - congrats mate!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote