Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 09-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #911
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite GLORY View Post
Didn't like it. The sculpting on the human faces at this 1/10 size is horrible. Not just for the X-Men line, but the other Avengers pieces as well. Human characters just look bland and need more sculpting, which im sure is hard to do at this size.

I know I say that, having ordered Cable, but Cable I just couldn't pass up. But with my record of 1/10 pieces, I get bored of the simple sculpting and end up selling them. But I WANT to love this X-Men collection.
Damn, I’ve got to disagree with you there.

I have the Professor X piece, and I thought it was a solid piece, and I’ve also got a large chunk of the MCU pieces in my collection. At last count I had 50 1/10 scale statues in total. They’re not perfect but I make certain allowances because of their physical size and their low cost.

And I’m someone who prefers accuracy and quality in my pieces as I also collect a not so insignificant amount of 1/6 Hot Toys, 1/4 and 1/3 scale statues and now I’m dipping my toe into Queen Studios line in which I’ve ordered around 10 pieces so far.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #912
Infinite GLORY
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Damn, I’ve got to disagree with you there.

I have the Professor X piece, and I thought it was a solid piece, and I’ve also got a large chunk of the MCU pieces in my collection. At last count I had 50 1/10 scale statues in total. They’re not perfect but I make certain allowances because of their physical size and their low cost.

And I’m someone who prefers accuracy and quality in my pieces as I also collect a not so insignificant amount of 1/6 Hot Toys, 1/4 and 1/3 scale statues and now I’m dipping my toe into Queen Studios line in which I’ve ordered around 10 pieces so far.
I can respect that. I just look at them, and then look at my 1/4 scale pieces, and I just can't stand them sometimes. Yes I know we are talking $150 vs. $600 or more, so we are talking more money for better sculpting, plus more canvas space to work with giving a larger piece. When they were $100 - $115, I was willing to be ok with what we got. Professor X was almost $200 after shipping/tax. For that price, sculpting should be better. Look at the proto type of Rogue's face. Ewww. That's the best they could do? And for what over $150 after tax shipping? Same with the Endgame Scarlet Witch face, X-Men Storm, & Cyclops.

BUT, don't get me wrong, I will walk back my original statement of ALL human pieces look bad because some look promising, so it could very well just be who's sculpting at IS? I think the open helmet portrait of Endgame Rescue Pepper Potts looks great. Also the Maria Hill Spiderman FFH looks good, the X-Men Jean Grey, X-Men Emma Frost, Magneto, Psylocke, Gambit all look good. I just wish they were all consistently excellent.
Infinite GLORY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #913
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I'm going to agree with Infinite Glory. I have a ton of these on pre-order but IS in the 1/10th scale is wildly inconsistent. Some pieces are just awesome but then some are like WTF!? Again with their rising prices for 1/10th its fair to expect more.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #914
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
I'm going to agree with Infinite Glory. I have a ton of these on pre-order but IS in the 1/10th scale is wildly inconsistent. Some pieces are just awesome but then some are like WTF!? Again with their rising prices for 1/10th its fair to expect more.
I agree. Many awesome ones but some stinkers as well. Really think sabretooth looks very bad.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #915
CWalker
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite GLORY View Post
but Cable I just couldn't pass up.
Cable is much more impressive than X.

I did review last week. (half fast)
CWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #916
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I too ended up walking away from this entire setup due to some of the reasons highlighted here. I decided to stick to the XM Sentinel Diorama. Its a single sentinel but at a larger scale which, in my opinion, captures much more detail.

I can see the appeal of 1/10 scale, but the lack of detail I would expect to be bothersome for some collectors. I am also concerned about resale value for this line...
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:59 AM   #917
Biggunz
Loki

I’m just buying the one sentinel. First one and I think it captures a good snap shot of a good battle. I don’t need the full war
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #918
Infinite GLORY

I received my Cable and I must say I'm surprisingly impressed. Details on the face in the proto images just didn't look that great and seemed like a wash out, but in hand the detail is more impressive. I do have this weird issue where if you look at his face straight on, it looks like the front half of his face was pinched together. But only the front, as the rear backside of his head looks fine. Not sure who thought that was a good idea his head should have been more symmetrical. But from the sides he looks good. I hope Rogue ends up looking way better than what her proto face pictures look like currently. I might pick her up.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #919
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The critiques are interesting opinion reads....but this thing is going to be epic! Especially for anyone who pics up all 3.

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #920
Infinite GLORY

The Sentinel Dio's do look great. My problem is if you don't get the dio's, and just want the pieces individually, then they look kind of silly as stand alone pieces. Or I should say, Sentinel Dio 2 and 3 are fine. Whether you get the sentinels or just the stand alones, each piece looks great and works. My issue is with Dio 1. Wolverine especially and Beast. Their individual piece stances look out of place. Those are probably the only 2 I'm not sure if I want to get. And unfortunately they are the only other 2 available right now from the newer pieces. I think Rogue and Cyclops are next in December.