Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #111
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Mix media is a nightmare to keep clean and deteriorates over time . Once the fabric starts to come apart it’s toast . That’s why I don’t like it
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #112
equi-nox76
Alpha Flight

That's only with the faux leather mixed media. My first Hulk PF has mixed media jeans and no problem at all with it. I hope for a similar quality on Logan. I even would have preferred a fabric shirt.
Chris
equi-nox76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #113
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
personally i think it takes more than a mixed media element to make something a "doll" - these are still statues, you cannot pose them. they still are in fixed positions with a base and no visible joints

i get people not liking mixed media because they just dont like the way it looks or whatever but dont get the doll argument though. personally i like it in the right applications, hellboy and gambits coat look better in person than anything sculpted could have imo
Personal preference, but I think the sculpted coat on XM's Gambit looks much better than that huge wrinkly fabric coat the PF has (I used to own it).

I also think a sculpted coat would have looked much better on both Rogue's over that cheap pleathery crap.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #114
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
personally i think it takes more than a mixed media element to make something a "doll" - these are still statues, you cannot pose them. they still are in fixed positions with a base and no visible joints

i get people not liking mixed media because they just dont like the way it looks or whatever but dont get the doll argument though. personally i like it in the right applications, hellboy and gambits coat look better in person than anything sculpted could have imo
That's because it's less of an argument and more of a pejorative, meant to rile some of us up.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #115
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by equi-nox76 View Post
That's only with the faux leather mixed media. My first Hulk PF has mixed media jeans and no problem at all with it.
I have the first maquette, and the pants are holding up just fine...

nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #116
MPCanes
The X-Men

Denim is a fabric in particular that I haven't seen a good sculpted/painted solution yet.

Any examples? Not trying to start something, just genuinely haven't seen it.
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #117
Y3E
Gen 13

People always post that fabric deteriorates and the majority of my 1/4 statues (over 100) have fabric, including OG Hulk, OG Thor, OG Cap A (decade old pieces) and none are deteriorating.

I've seen only a handful (2, maybe 3) pics of fabric cracking on faux leather (as Equinox said) and how many statues with fabric are there?

The argument about fabric deterioration has no justification.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #118
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I just feel like people calling it “Doll clothes” are just insecure about their collection around normies who live with or visit them. At the end of the day, to them your collection is a waste of money and just a bunch of “Dolls” sitting around collecting dust. Also, I agree with sonic that the faux leather on these will decay much faster than the fabric used on say Bane or Hulk. Take a make up brush to these things and turn your nose up to the haters.

On topic though, this Logan PF is cool. I just wish we could get away from the Hugh Jackman look. Logan always had a cool bomber jacket, or some sort of cowboy hat that he would wear from time to time as well. I dunno, just mix it up a little! Exclusive better not be muramasa blade either.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #119
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjones View Post
I just feel like people calling it “Doll clothes” are just insecure about their collection around normies who live with or visit them. At the end of the day, to them your collection is a waste of money and just a bunch of “Dolls” sitting around collecting dust. Also, I agree with sonic that the faux leather on these will decay much faster than the fabric used on say Bane or Hulk. Take a make up brush to these things and turn your nose up to the haters.

On topic though, this Logan PF is cool. I just wish we could get away from the Hugh Jackman look. Logan always had a cool bomber jacket, or some sort of cowboy hat that he would wear from time to time as well. I dunno, just mix it up a little! Exclusive better not be muramasa blade either.
The exclusive is a fabric tank top
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #120
Biggunz
Loki

I actually like the fabric on this wolverine.
And think when fabric is done right it does give another level of realism to a statue.

Sometimes too much skulpt comes off a little too much like a Neca to me

But everyone has their own taste.

Either way....suck it Sideshow !

Price better not be crap. They've been on one hell of a streak this year
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote