Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #191
Babytoxie
Ghost

I had been iffy on this season until the last 3 or so episodes. That was a run of greatness.

I fully expected Don to spill his guts to Megan about Sylvia once he got home, but I suppose that would have been too much after everthing else. Darn.

Only one more season to go!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #192
protector2814
Phoenix

Don's "departure" in his great pitch to Hershey and where his speech ultimately led to was amazing to me. Seeing the other partners disdainfully digest what it was he was saying was, in a weird way, fun to watch. "Was that true?" asked Rodger ... man, that was a great moment, Don coming clean. I loved it. But, not as much as that final scene, where Don takes his kids home. That moment, & his exchange, through eyes, with Sally, was oddly beautiful and actually caused me to well-up for a moment. Did Sally & Don's facial exchange, in front of that old house, mean that a little bit of her father's behavior over the years was finally explained? Sally, for me, seemed to express a look of understanding in that final moment.
An excellent episode and boy are things being set up for a huge final season.

* and on a sidenote - The Pete tragedy is somehow hilarious to me in its own weird way. Great writing on his side.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #193
protector2814
Phoenix

So, the 2-year final season kicked-off last night, and ... I gotta say, it didn't feel too fresh. Characters felt bogged down by variations of situations that have happened during the past 6 seasons, often more then once. AMC plugged so many commercials into this 1st show of the seventh season that it felt like they were attempting to just stretch-out the show as if the decision to elongate the final season comes at a price of shortening the content of actual episodes. I can remember when "with limited commercial interruptions" used to be a tease used w/ Mad Men.
The California stuff felt fresh & we can discuss w/ more detail as more of you have the chance to see this ep.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #194
Babytoxie
Ghost

I was annoyed with the S7 premiere. Almost a year break, and we get... that? You're right - everything seemed like well-tread territory, same old stuff. And the commercial breaks drove me crazy.

So we have only 6 more episodes until the mid-season break. Then it's more waiting until spring 2015 for the final 7 episodes. It's hard to get excited about it, and I have fears that this show won't wrap up in a satisfactory manner.

Though I got a kick out of California Pete. He's definitely found his element.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #195
protector2814
Phoenix

For me, Don always seemed most-complete and at peace when he visited the original Mrs. Draper in California. There were a few almost Jack Kerouac-ian scenes while Don visited out there & he felt right in those scenes. I've always wanted Don to finish in CA, where he seems to be most fulfilled so I'm hoping this season 7 shift to the west will bring him closer to figuring his sh&% out.

What I'm not really interested in anymore is more torrid affairs & benders which result in guilt-crashes, which then result in momentary Phoenix rising from the ashes scenes ... rinse & repeat.

Where I'd like to see the show end, & I realize this is just wishful thinking on my part, is Don Zenning out in CA, maybe as kind of a Dharma Bum . w/ a now 50 something Sally Draper recalling the whole show & it's ending w/memories her Father, from her front porch from her life now. She too, having closure & a happy life. W/ us experiencing the entire show from her memory & conclusions.

I want some sort of closure after faithfully & enjoyably following this show since day one. Will I get it? Nope, I doubt it.

BT - California-Pete was just great. Pete is so much fun to watch, I'm starting to think he stole the whole 6+ seasons.

* side note - I saw another Bewitched reference while re-watching last season. Don, before he clocked that born-again Christian at the bar & ended up sleeping it off in the slammer, was watching Bewitched on the bar-tube before it all went down.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #196
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I liked the premiere. The complaints I'm reading sound similar to last season which also started slow, but ended great so I don't know why one would doubt this season would end well too.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #197
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm venting, of course, but I don't see why we can't hit the ground running instead of having to build up to something. After a long wait, and another long wait not too far away, I just want more. Last season certainly did pick up, but for me, it didn't come soon enough.

Of course, my frustration could be amplified by the fact that I watched the Mad Men season premiere right after GoT, which, after only two episodes into the current season, has blown my mind.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #198
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Wife watches this but it does nothing for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #199
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

This season opener was not worth waiting for.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #200
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I liked the premiere, but last night's episode was much better. The ending might be the greatest Don/Sally moment in the entire series.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote