Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 08-31-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Frankierock
Omega Red

To Upgrade or not to Upgrade!? That is the ?

Ok so my wife last week surprised the hell out of me...I wanted to go into Best Buy and get the Mission Impossible Bluray set..first 5 movies 20 bucks...
Anyway while in there she was like , we're done? Why are you not looking at the TV's ..I was like for what we don't need a new TV I just want one...
a Second later she was like ok so go get one...
So I purchased a new 4K LG Tv..and love it...few Days later I upgraded my Original Xbox to the Xbox one X...
So here is the real question...
I love the quality of the display and Tv, but the games don't look that much different...yeah I see some things here and there but don't think it was a HUGE difference. I was going to Upgrade my PS4 to the Spiderman Pro version but don't know if I should even bother.
Has anyone else had this dilemma? Is it me? Is it because I don't have the old Xbox and Tv playing the same game next to me, that I don't see much difference?
What do you guys think?
Do I bother getting the PS4 pro? I mean the PS4 looks amazing as is on the new TV...will it be another letdown like the Xbox was...

And to Clarify the Xbox one X is an Amazing machine...superior in every way of the original...I just don't see big difference when using HDR on the games.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

HA! Got you beat! My wife wants me to upgrade from a 65" Samsung 4K curved to a 75" Samsung OLED 4K Samsung but wants to wait until black friday for any deals. But I've got the okee-dokee to get it.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Mister H
Green Goblin

You’re right about the OneX. The games look a little better here and there but not a gigantic difference like I hoped. I mainly wanted a 4K system to watch my nature shows. I never bothered with PlayStation because those darn controllers are too small for my hands.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
HA! Got you beat! My wife wants me to upgrade from a 65" Samsung 4K curved to a 75" Samsung OLED 4K Samsung but wants to wait until black friday for any deals. But I've got the okee-dokee to get it.
Actually best time to Upgrade is not Black Friday...they put the crap on sale first...wait a few extra months for the Super Bowl!!! The best stuff goes on sale before the big game.

Oh and Mister H I love the nature stuff as well...I download the 4K and 8k nature films and OMG they are Amazing on the TV...
Old 09-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Fiancé bought the One X as soon as we got our new Tv (see below). I can see the difference on some games, but not all. Old we games - nope. But games designed for the 4K life look amazing.

We also have a PlayStation, but have no interest in upgrading until the newest model comes out. No PS exclusive games are giving us the itch to uograde right now. So unless you are getting the new PS bc there is a brand new game you want which shows off all the 4K magic, save your bucks. But I do agree that the SpiderMan version looks cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
We have the 75 OLED, bought it last year Black Friday. I like it a lot, but it wasn’t our first choice. I will say that video games looks great on it. Overall, Our choice was dictated because we have giant wall and a 65 inch looked...”small”. I know, I know, first world problems.

Truthfully - if we didn’t have a giant wall, we would have gotten the LG OLED. It is a slightly superior picture. Close to the old school plasma blacks. The issue is the LG never goes on sale, so we were priced out of LGs since we needed/wanted at least a 75 inch. The jump in price btwn the LG 65 and 75 inch was bananas.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Funny you post this I went through the same decision last week for similar reasons!

One thing to remember that I realized is that while Xbox one X plays 4k games - the games themselves have to be 4k or (xbox one enhanced).

For example I also recently upgraded my tv to a 4k one and I have an xbox one s (which I learned plays 4k movies but not games) but I see only a couple of my games are 4k anyways.

I'm sure you have since made your decision anyways since your original post.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Frankierock I love your story about getting the new TV so much I'm going to share mine sorry if you feel I'm hijacking your post

My TV broke about 3 weeks ago and I was really bummed. Not so much about the TV but it kind of capped off months and months of being in a bit of a rut. This year has not been my year. Hasn't been awful but not great. Anyways I took it to a repair shop where it still is and I've been getting the run around. Anyways last weekend my wife was like we should just get a tv. Nothing crazy but something that will get us by for a few years then we will get a good one. So we went and got a 50" LG tv. It was a good tv, nothing special but I was happy. The next day I was at a family BBQ where I guess my bro told my parents about my tv situation. Now I didn't tell them I bought a new TV because they are weird and slightly judgmental about how I spend my money. I just told them it was still in the shop and if it ends up being too much to repair I will get a new cheap one. So the next morning my step mom calls and says they have talked it over and want to buy us a new tv. I was like holy crap... I was kind of caught so I just said that morning before she called I went and bought a tv! So she was like ok well take it back and we will get you a better one. So I ended up with the LG 65SK9000 and it is f*cking glorious. We hosted my family Sunday night for a thank you dinner to show our appreciation. It really put me on the right track mentally too. It's such a nice tv I've never had one that was so nice and big!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Y3E
Gen 13

I have the PS4 Pro playing on my 65" Samsung 4K and there are some differences in graphics but not a big difference.

I would wait until Sony makes a Playstation that 4K player.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Frankierock I love your story about getting the new TV so much I'm going to share mine sorry if you feel I'm hijacking your post

My TV broke about 3 weeks ago and I was really bummed. Not so much about the TV but it kind of capped off months and months of being in a bit of a rut. This year has not been my year. Hasn't been awful but not great. Anyways I took it to a repair shop where it still is and I've been getting the run around. Anyways last weekend my wife was like we should just get a tv. Nothing crazy but something that will get us by for a few years then we will get a good one. So we went and got a 50" LG tv. It was a good tv, nothing special but I was happy. The next day I was at a family BBQ where I guess my bro told my parents about my tv situation. Now I didn't tell them I bought a new TV because they are weird and slightly judgmental about how I spend my money. I just told them it was still in the shop and if it ends up being too much to repair I will get a new cheap one. So the next morning my step mom calls and says they have talked it over and want to buy us a new tv. I was like holy crap... I was kind of caught so I just said that morning before she called I went and bought a tv! So she was like ok well take it back and we will get you a better one. So I ended up with the LG 65SK9000 and it is f*cking glorious.We hosted my family Sunday night for a thank you dinner to show our appreciation. It really put me on the right track mentally too. It's such a nice tv I've never had one that was so nice and big!
Lmao, that's exactly what I ended up purchasing...except I got the 55 inch..I figured this was more of an impulse purchase rather than a need, so wife and I talked and figured we could upgrade again in a few years, since we are likely to move from NY to Florida in next 2-3 years when my son finishes middle school. Then we will go to the Oled TV or Hell now Samsung is bringing out the 8k with adaptive AI this October to the public. Granted we are not even really at full 4K yet...but with this new AI it is said to scale everything to true 4K and 8K no matter what the source...except gaming. But this will give us another option down the road. Plus our $$ will stretch farther down there with the housing / upgrade in size, downgrade in price. Which is a major plus+.

As far as games , I have over 150 on my console now and a bunch using the Xbox Enhanced modes. Again they look great...just not what I was expecting with all the hype.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I have the PS4 Pro playing on my 65" Samsung 4K and there are some differences in graphics but not a big difference.

I would wait until Sony makes a Playstation that 4K player.
Totally agree...the PS4 looks great as it is with the HDR on the older model anyway. I'm going to wait...thank goodness that Spidey Ed didn't have more detail on the system like Webbing, and a better looking controller...that would have been harder to stay away from.