Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #2381
craigcliff1
Zot

Shredder statue is awesome, once I got my custom cape he was more awesome. I started on these forum in start of 2007 and I have lost count how many people have complained and about what piece, I remember when Shredder came out boy he was not liked. He is an awesome piece of sculpting.
Was on here for years before I joined didn't want to get caught up how people can become on these forums.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #2382
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjones View Post
I wouldn't risk it either after the way Shredder and the mousers sold. Some people on here seemed so caught up on characters being TV show accurate that they disregard any other attempt at how these characters can be made. However, I do think that a modern Casey Jones would look fantastic. Although you will probably have complaints about their being a lack of cape.
A lot of hobbyists like myself are more geared towards intricate sculpts with contemporary renditions of the charachters aka I bought Sideshow's He-man over PCS's faithfully accurate Classic He-man. There are a number of reasons why but the point is simple,the contemporary renditions look cooler and come with the taste of nostaligia all packed into one.

I had the old TMNT set on pre order and I cancelled them because they looked awkward to me. If I had kept my pre ordee I would have flipped them because I would have got bored of them.

I am fan of the 90's movies and the TV show,never touched a turtle comic book in my life.

I am fan of sculpting as much as the charachters so I don't care if it's my fav charachter it has to be an awesome and imaginative sculpt.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #2383
Parallax
Nightwing

Unfortunately, the only other characters that would guarantee sales are Bebop, Rocksteady, and Shredder. I may never get a Splinter or Casey Jones.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #2384
SONICobra
Batman

i think casey and april would also sell well, splinter.... probably not so much
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #2385
Parallax
Nightwing

The biggest issue this line has is that there aren't many TMNT comic fans out there. The overwhelming majority of TMNT fans are fans of the cartoon and 90s movies. The Turtles are a set of 4 that you can sell. After that, you wind up with a bunch of people who are content with only having the Turtles. Marketing the villains and supporting characters is going to be a lot harder. I think the best way to make this set shine is to use the exclusives to bridge the gap between the modern comic and old school look.

For example, although Shredder's design has changed it hasn't been as drastic as it seems. I personally prefer the silver and purple look, so do that with the exclusive looking like the comic book head. Same can be done for just about every character. Bebop and Rocksteady will sell, you don't need to change a thing about them. Casey Jones might sell, but give him an unmasked head to match the Raphael ex. Krang can be done similarly to Shredder. You give a goofy looking old school head and a modern looking evil head. I honestly don't think this line would have a ton of success outside of the Turtles. However, we're talking about statues that sold 500 within a matter of hours. That never happens these days. I wouldn't give up on the line based on the failures of the previous line. As much as these are comic book Turtles, they are not specifically Eastman and Laird comic book Turtles. These are modernized and realistic Turtles of Sideshow's own design that combine the best of what every iteration has had to offer. I think if heroes and villains of the TMNT Universe are done right with great designs and dynamic looks to them (smaller edition size as well), Sideshow can have a hit on their hands. The biggest factor is the price point. If they make another piece and the price is bumped up, it is not going to sell period.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #2386
IzeroI
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i think casey and april would also sell well, splinter.... probably not so much
Have a low ES maybe?
IzeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #2387
Parallax
Nightwing

Every piece after the Turtles needs to have a lower edition size if you want to keep the line popular. Not everyone who bought the Turtles wants to have the other characters as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #2388
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
Every piece after the Turtles needs to have a lower edition size if you want to keep the line popular. Not everyone who bought the Turtles wants to have the other characters as well.
Having larger edition sizes is suddenly going to make the line unpopular? Thats some crazy logic. The people that are only interested in buying the Turtles wouldn't care one way or the other since those people had no interest in the other characters to begin with.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #2389
Parallax
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Having larger edition sizes is suddenly going to make the line unpopular? Thats some crazy logic. The people that are only interested in buying the Turtles wouldn't care one way or the other since those people had no interest in the other characters to begin with.
It's not a matter of making the line unpopular, it's a matter of pieces not selling. The EX Turtles sold well but the regs are all still available. Do you think you're going to sell 1,500 Shredders, Casey Jones, etc? No way in hell when the Turtles didn't even sell out months after release.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #2390
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
It's not a matter of making the line unpopular, it's a matter of pieces not selling. The EX Turtles sold well but the regs are all still available. Do you think you're going to sell 1,500 Shredders, Casey Jones, etc? No way in hell when the Turtles didn't even sell out months after release.
IMO, some of you guys have some serious misconceptions about what constitutes successful sales. The idea that these statues have to sell out in 6-9 months time to be deemed successful is just so flawed on so many levels.

Just scroll down Sideshow's entire list of Premium Format statues still in stock. The number of statues still available that one would deem older statues is incredibly small and most of them are now down to "low stock remaining" including Red Son Wonder Woman, Red Sun Superman, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Joker: Arkham Asylum, etc. Just because those statues took longer than the average sell out rates doesn't mean they weren't sucessful. At the end of the day, they will still sell out. And the regular editions of the Turtles will also sell out and it wont take a long time for that to happen. By this time next year they will all be sold out. As for Shredder, yes I do think they could sell 1500 Shredders. It might not sell out in 6 months, but I have zero doubt it would wind up selling out. Given that Sideshow completes 100% of thier editions, there has never been a single Sideshow statue in the entire history of the company that didn't eventually wind up selling out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Hope we get an Alessandra Ambrosio statue made.
Honestly, I am surprised we havent seen a company go this route yet (making statues of supermodels). I know I would buy an Adriana Lima and Gisele Bundchen statue if they were really well made. Actually, you could throw a Paulina Porizkova in there as well.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote