Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
JG, glad the lil guy came back!

Ours have escapes several times, but luckily I always find them behind the washer and dryer!

I am the night owl of the house. One time, I had no idea one was on the loose, and around 4am, as I was drifting off on the floor watching tv, i saw this little furry thing crawling towrds me on the floor! Freaked me out but good! I grabbed him, and all was well. We have 2 kids, 2 dogs, and a cat and thankfully none of them have ever managed to hurt the little suckers!
Me too Ryche - the little critter got out a few months ago when I had fallen asleep on the couch watching TV. I awoke to the sound of rocks making some noise. I woke up and noticed the cage door was open and found it under the aquarium by some extra rocks.

Our count - 1 dog, 1 hampster, fish, and a couple of geckos. My youngest wants a hampster of her own - told her she has to wait until she is 5.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
here's one for you, my cousin had 2 hamster a male and female, about 5 months later he had about 12 in a cage running around. His father was a miserable SOB and one day when he was drunk was so pipssed at my cousin he decided to play let's throw the hamster out a 9 story project window onto the street pavement. He started tossing those hamster like he was playing darts at a bar. I cousin went screaming to the street, only 2 survived the fall and hit the grass, the original male and female. I couldnt tell those damn things apart, but he could. He picked them up and went up stairs crying and his mom helped him sneak them in. I saw those damn things lying bloody. I never liked hamsters but that was wrong
That's just demented
Old 01-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Here's an awful, but true, story:

Two years ago we had a birthday party for my son, now 10. It was a great party, everyone had a good time, Sam (my son) was on top of the world. A few kids stayed late and so they went up to Sam's room to play with the hampster. Out from his room came a blood-curdling scream! The damn thing died on his birthday! Tears, snot, gasping, wheezing...it broke our hearts. The poor kid. What a terrible thing to happen on his birthday.

Haven't bought another since. He doesn't want one. Fortunately he keeps our two golden retrievers plenty busy.
Yikes, that is a bummer - my wife and I decided not to tell the girls that she had gotten out as they probably would have been freaked out that the dog would eat it.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #14
Crocostimpy
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

My kids' hampster died while we were living in a hotel waiting for our house to be finished. (did I ever mention here never to build a new house?) We kept it in the freezer (we were staying in a suite) for a few days hoping we would close on the house and then could bury it in the yard. When the cleaning lady remarked about it though, we knew we couldn't keep it there any longer. They hadn't graded the yard yet, so I was afraid to bury it there. The last thing I wanted was for us to show up at the house and see the little shoe box half uncovered with his little body hanging out. In the end we buried it as close to the back of the house as we could, thinking that they wouldn't disturb the ground as much there. We had to go buy a shovel just to do it because all of our stuff was in storage.

"Avoid the clap." - Jimmy Dugan
Crocostimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
Gruson
Suicide Squad

What is really sad is we had two hampsters. male/female

They both got out of their cage and we found them days later (we put peanut butter on a plate for them). It worked and we saw them crawl out to it.

Well, they must have eaten some "rat" poison because both of them looked VERY sick and could barely move.

The male died in about a week but the female had some baby hampsters!!

There were three of them. Very little creatures.

Later on , we noticed there was blood all over it's cage. The female had EATEN all of the babies and there were little body parts everywhere. She was very sick looking and ended up dying a couple of days later.

Very sad....I can still picture it all. I think they are both still buried in our backyard too.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson

The male died in about a week but the female had some baby hampsters!!

There were three of them. Very little creatures.

Later on , we noticed there was blood all over it's cage. The female had EATEN all of the babies and there were little body parts everywhere. She was very sick looking and ended up dying a couple of days later.

Very sad....I can still picture it all. I think they are both still buried in our backyard too.
A mother hamster eating her young is not all that unusual. It is sometimes a defense mechanism (protecting the young) and mostly I think it is because they cannot nurse the entire litter successfully, I remember as a youngest my hamster had 10 babies. She ate 5 of them. The other 5 she was able to wean successfully. I was up to my eyeballs in hamsters as a kid. My daughter has one now.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #17
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
A mother hamster eating her young is not all that unusual. It is sometimes a defense mechanism (protecting the young) and mostly I think it is because they cannot nurse the entire litter successfully, I remember as a youngest my hamster had 10 babies. She ate 5 of them. The other 5 she was able to wean successfully. I was up to my eyeballs in hamsters as a kid. My daughter has one now.
I see you saved them and used them for your toupee!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #18
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13
I see you saved them and used them for your toupee!

You really should do stand up for a living. You'd starve, die and be out of our hair in fairly short order.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #19
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Hamsters are stupid.
When I was 8 I had a hamster,he was nice. Then I decided to get him a friend. A week later I found my first hamsters head outside of the cage. The new one had apparently chewed his head off during the night.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Yep, as a kid our had babies and munched them all