Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 01-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #91
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
OK , well, you don't have to go by what they say... you could just do the math. At 20", that would make the piece IRL 80" if 1/4 scale. That's 6'8". Batman is what, 6'2" right, so that leaves 6 inches for base and cowl ears, since I think we can agree he's basically standing straight up. We'd need the actual height of the base and his ears to confirm.... at best he's a hair shy of 1/4 scale. Certainly nothing close to 1/5.
I’m not saying it to argue what actual scale/size the statue is, I’m saying they can just get away with stating “Non-Scale” on the product page. If stuff like that is possible it just makes me question all the licensing/agreements/whatever that people tend to bring up.

And if they can do this and get away with it (like they're doing with the Zero Year statue by misidentifying the scale) then why not do it more? Why not just call something "Non-Scale" or whatever and make it slightly smaller/bigger than the scale they (supposedly) don't have a license for?

It all just seems very selective/fluid to me, like they can get away with it if they make statues that Sideshow would never consider making or something.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #92
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
I’m not saying it to argue what actual scale/size the statue is, I’m saying they can just get away with stating “Non-Scale” on the product page. If stuff like that is possible it just makes me question all the licensing/agreements/whatever that people tend to bring up.

And if they can do this and get away with it (like they're doing with the Zero Year statue by misidentifying the scale) then why not do it more? Why not just call something "Non-Scale" or whatever and make it slightly smaller/bigger than the scale they (supposedly) don't have a license for?

It all just seems very selective/fluid to me, like they can get away with it if they make statues that Sideshow would never consider making or something.
I have nothing to say about any of that, as it's all entirely speculation. For me, the actual size of the piece is what is important (I would think to you as well since you keep bringing up the Zero Year piece) so I don't really care what scale, if any, they call it.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #93
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
I have nothing to say about any of that, as it's all entirely speculation. For me, the actual size of the piece is what is important (I would think to you as well since you keep bringing up the Zero Year piece) so I don't really care what scale, if any, they call it.
I don't bring it up to expect any kind of definitive/absolute answer, it's a message board and that's all 98% of what's posted is here anyway. Opinion/speculation that doesn't really mean anything.

I just find it curious that there are these statues periodically that either clearly aren't the scale they're stated to be or aren't even given a specific scale, and that's an ok thing to do even though there are these supposed licensing agreements in place to make statues of certain properties/scales.

I can not "care" whether or not a statue is the scale they've stated and yet still have curiosities about how the business side of it works. It's ok to think about/ask those kinds of questions.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #94
pau123
Sailor Moon

THe Batman vs Superman DK shoudl be this scale.
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:58 PM   #95
pau123
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
The question is, who would win in a fight, the Justice Buster, or the Hulkbuster?.....
Defeating just One Hulk vs Justice league members. I say justice buster hahaha.

The dimensions needed to display this is a whole new ball game. 88cm x 75cm x 71cm. Bonkers
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:50 AM   #96
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Justice Buster alone is $2499, Batman alone is $649, Ultimate Version [both Batman and Justice Buster together] $2999......
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:23 AM   #97
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Well, 1 and 3 are personal opinion, so not really raining on anyone's parade. The cape... of course I'd always prefer sculpted over fabric. I can't speak to quality of the fabric from a picture though. However, the stories I have heard/seen of their 1/3 scale capes peeling/falling apart do concern me. The problem with those stories is that the collectors like to leave out details, like the climate the piece is displayed in, for example.
If I recall correctly, the cape on this is real leather so, there shouldn't be any issues with cracking or flaking. I think I remember hearing that on the video from P1 on this piece, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, I think you're right about the climate playing a large part in the cracking and peeling of pleather. I've had the Lobo PF since it was released and he's wearing a ton of pleather. I don't have any issues at all with cracking or peeling after all the years I've owned it. Same with my OG Catwoman PF. However, I live in a suburb of Chicago so I don't have to deal with high heat or humidity year round.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #98
WhistlingTime
Birdman

Quote:

Some good points.

I wonder what is stipulated when a scale licence is issued. Would they specify a ‘real world’ height for the characters to guide the sizing? More obscure things, like this Justice Buster, would surely be more variable as the licensee is going to be inferring sizes from a comic panel/source material.

It would be interesting to know at what point an increase or decrease in size would lose approval from the licensor.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #99
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
If I recall correctly, the cape on this is real leather so, there shouldn't be any issues with cracking or flaking. I think I remember hearing that on the video from P1 on this piece, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, I think you're right about the climate playing a large part in the cracking and peeling of pleather. I've had the Lobo PF since it was released and he's wearing a ton of pleather. I don't have any issues at all with cracking or peeling after all the years I've owned it. Same with my OG Catwoman PF. However, I live in a suburb of Chicago so I don't have to deal with high heat or humidity year round.
Oh that's interesting. However, if it were true I assume P1 would list it as such, and not "fabric cape"...
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:03 AM   #100
sparda
The Avengers

Quote:

Correct, Prime 1 does not hold a 1/4 license for DC. The new52 1/4 license is held by SSC and we all know how that turned out when their relationship with SSC went sour (RIP Aquaman).

They managed to secure a license for the new52 storyline, though they are not allowed to produce it in 1/4 scale, hence they've put on 'Non-scale' whilst it is obviously a 1/4 piece.
sparda is offline   Reply With Quote