Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #71
buffyscrubs
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thanks for a great tip. Is the book worth a buy?

----------------------------------------
Criminal minds
Seinfeld dvd
CSI Las Vegas dvd
buffyscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #72
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyscrubs View Post
Thanks for a great tip. Is the book worth a buy?

----------------------------------------
Criminal minds
Seinfeld dvd
CSI Las Vegas dvd
Which one buffyscrubs?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #73
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Chronicles of King Conan!

Keep your eyes open this month for the first volume of King Conan reprints from Dark Horse. This series was a breath of fresh air at a time when the regular Conan series was pretty stale, and Thomas and Buscema put their hearts and souls into it.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/13-39...n-Volume-1-TPB

Also, a collection of Conan newspaper strips will arrive next month:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/17-22...trips-Volume-1

verjoyed:
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #74
protector2814
Phoenix

King Conan was a good book. I remember like a 10 issue run of a Conn, son of Conan story which kind of killed the book for me. Somehow, Conan and the little woman, believed Conn dead. Conn had to survive on his own for a fell year arc. I found him annoying and an attempt to rehash young-Conan type adventures.

Did Howard create a son for Conan?

Burroughs did with Tarzan and that actually worked quite well. DC's Korak books rocked as hard as their Tarzan.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #75
Babytoxie
Ghost

Conan the Second (aka "Conn") was created by deCamp and Carter and appeared much later in the 12-part Ace series. He was a major character in Conan of Aquilonia. I think another child, a daughter maybe, was mentioned in Conan of the Isles (?) where Queen Zenobia was said to have died giving birth... it's been a while.

The King Conan comics established 3 children - Conn, Taurus (son), and a daughter, and added yet another son that resulted from Conan's "wanderings" in the East during Conan the Avenger.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #76
calkat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I've always been a pretty big fan of Conan as well. Mainly collected the old Conan the Barbarian comics, and Savage Sword of Conan. As well as the novels. The Dark Horse Conan stuff is great and really renewed my love of the character. My dad introduced me to Conan when I was a kid, and I wish he could read some of the new stuff that's out there.
I read the Conan the Phenomenon book a while ago as well and it mentioned the movie 'The Whole Wide World'? It's mainly about Novalyne Price and her relationship with Howard. Has anyone seen it? I havent been able to find it yet, wondering if it's any good.
calkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #77
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by calkat View Post
I read the Conan the Phenomenon book a while ago as well and it mentioned the movie 'The Whole Wide World'? It's mainly about Novalyne Price and her relationship with Howard. Has anyone seen it? I havent been able to find it yet, wondering if it's any good.
It was entertaining, not bad at all, but it didn't pull me in to the degree I thought it would (being an REH fan). In fact, it made me realize that if I'd lived in Cross Plains at the same time, I'd have thought he was a weirdo, too.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #78
calkat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Good to know Babytoxie. I'd still like to find it one day, and check it out.
calkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #79
protector2814
Phoenix

So the end of 2010 was bittersweet on the Barbarian comic front. Conan the Cimmerian ended its spectacular run much too early for me. Dark Horse filled the void with, so far & 1 issue, a lukewarm King Conan mini. That being sai, on Wednesday, DH dropped its $8.00 Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword (cover above) which while expensive, contains 5 Howard' Barbarian stories! With artists like Bradstreet, Conrad and Barry W. Smith, I was visually blown away. Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Dark Agnes (I believe, the real Red Sonja) & more. You may wanna pick this one up.

The excellent Boom Studios work on Cormac Mac Art in Hawks of Outreamer finished in late fall and is now out in trade. This was great!

Red Sonja is still rolling around and looking good. Finally the Dynamite version of Burroughs 1st Mars novel (Warlord of Mars) is now 3 great issues deep, moving kinda slow, but still quite good.

Also the DH Kull and Solomon Kane releases in 2010 were all top-notch. We're 2 issues deep into the new Kull, The Hate Witch and I'm diggin' it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #80
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
...That being sai, on Wednesday, DH dropped its $8.00 Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword (cover above) which while expensive, contains 5 Howard' Barbarian stories! With artists like Bradstreet, Conrad and Barry W. Smith, I was visually blown away. Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak, Dark Agnes (I believe, the real Red Sonja) & more. You may wanna pick this one up.
Is this a magazine, squarebound format, or something like that? Also, from the names you mention, I'm assuming it has some reprinted Marvel material...