Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #91
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Sat down last night and really read the Robert Howard's Savage Sword that came out a week back. Man, the Roy Thomas/Barry Smith/Tim Conrad ' Bran Mak Morn, Last King of the Picts story is flat out worh the $8 I paid for the book. Now that I've read it, I do remember reading it in my teeens, but piecemeal and over a couple months. To read it in color from beginning to end (37 pages) was fantastic. Great, bloody barbarian fun w/ art that has never been topped i.m.o..

I also read the excellent article on Howard's ex-patriot, Afghan soldier El Borak by Mark Finn & learned a lot. I'll confess, I knew nothing about Borak and this article discussing the character & Howard's creative process w/ him was a great read. Next month's ish will see El Borak's 1st comic book intrepretation w/ art by my fave. cover artist of the Modern Age, Tim Bradstreet. Plenty of teaser images were shown in this book, and I've come to the conclussion that Bradstreet had to have used actor Thomas Jane as his model. El Borak will look just like the 2nd Punisher in film.

The Conan' 1st parter in chapt. 1 was only so-so. I hope it picks up.
I agree, this was a good book, and maybe worth the $8 in retrospect. The three shorter tales of Conan, John Silent, and Dark Agnes were just average, but Worms of the Earth was badass, and I am looking forward to the El Borak adaptations.

John Silent was mentioned in one of REH's Solomon Kane story fragments which was adapted by Dark Horse in their first SK trade, Castle of the Devil. They could have at least provided some of that background in the Savage Sword story, as the events really don't make much sense otherwise.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #92
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Groo
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #93
psycho shark
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

So anyone on the west coast get this book yet?

My LCS is telling me SSOC hasn't come out yet, but now I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever get them in. Might have to start looking at other shops for my copy.
psycho shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #94
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho shark View Post

My LCS is telling me SSOC hasn't come out yet, but now I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever get them in. Might have to start looking at other shops for my copy.
Been looking for it on the rack for the past 3 weeks, my LCS said it comes out next week.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #95
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Here's a Conan exclusive to USA today only, drawn by 1 of my all time favorite comic artis Bart Sears, see the link below to the short story.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...ead22_ST_N.htm

warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #96
psycho shark
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Thanks for posting that link, was a fun little read. It sounds like I haven't missed the SSOC ish yet, so that's great too!

Hopefully next year will bring us lots of Conan goodies with the movie coming out and all.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #97
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho shark View Post

Wha? I had no idea you all on the West Coast hadn't received this yet. I guess I've had mine for a month. I apologize then for the spoilers I dropped. I kinda thought we just talked about Barbarian comics as they hit on this thread. I've never heard of this sort of delay within the States. Is this a normal thing for you fellas? Crom, I hope you guys get this.

Warhead - thnx for that USA Today Conan.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #98
psycho shark

It's all good man, I'm sure I'll forget what you posted by the time I actually get my copy

And no, it's not really that common for us west coasters to get delays as far as I know (unless it happens with titles I don't read).
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #99
Babytoxie
Ghost

Thanks for the Conan link, I had no idea!

Sears' art just gets uglier and uglier over the years, but it still has a certain appeal that I can't describe.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #100
protector2814
Phoenix

Dark Horses' new King Conan mini hit today. The Scarlet Citadel by Tim Truman w/ Art by Tom Giorello was outstanding! I'm not quite sure what Howard story this was adapted from (if any) 'cause I'm pretty sure I haven't read it. One cool aspect is that the story begins w/ a King Conan I've never sen before...a quite old one. As I recall from Marvel's take on the King, he was mostly shown in his 40's. To see Conan grizzled and gray, and have Truman pull it off, is worth a shout-out. The story. w/ only 1 issue under it's belt, is great. Check it out fellow Barbarian lovers.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote