Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 12-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
johnclone
The Enchantress

What's wrong with these people?

As reported by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, a recent winter sports pep rally at Rosemount (Minn.) High featured a comedy skit which took advantage of unknowing captains of the various winter varsity squads. After the team captains walked into the gym blindfolded, they were told that they were going to be kissed by a special someone, and then were asked to guess who it was that kissed them.

You can see full video footage of the pep rally incident here, but beware, there are some moments that veer into "make out" territory and can come across as pretty inappropriate.

It turns out that the person who kissed the athletes -- in every circumstance -- was their own opposite sex parent. While no one has questioned the comedic intentions of the prank, the stunt itself has still drawn plenty of criticism not for the student athletes, but for what the parents did in executing the practical joke. As you can see above, some of the parents took their roles as "special someones" to a level that left many onlookers feeling uncomfortable and even queasy.

Here's how the Star-Tribune described the sketch's lowlights:

Some of the parents during the 59-second YouTube video are seen holding the kisses for several seconds, cupping their child's faces or embracing and swaying.

One mother moved her son's hand down to her behind during the encounter. Another mom has her son down on the gym floor to the delight of two male students nearby.

According to the Minneapolis paper, a number of those in attendance called and emailed to make it clear that they felt offended by the sketch, despite the fact that none of the students or parents involved in the kissing antics complained about the routine at all.

Still, Rosemount Principal John Wollersheim insisted that the school wouldn't repeat the comedic routine, despite the fact that a similar routine had been a huge hit at a prep rally at the school years earlier.

"There is no question that people were offended," Wollersheim told the Star-Tribune. "I apologize to those who were offended, and we won't do it again.

"Anything that happens at this school is the principal's responsibility. I take full responsibility. ... There shouldn't be an event in a school that we offend people with."

WTF?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
rychehitman
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
You can see full video footage of the pep rally incident here
liar!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
johnclone
The Enchantress

oh sorry, it was in the article. if you really want to see the video i will post the link
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Ok, that is very weird, not funny, and incredibly creepy.

However, your title is ridiculous. Just because this situation happened in MN, that means you are going to generalize that all Minnesotans are freaks?

I'm not even from MN originally, although I live here now, and find your thread title offensive.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
johnclone
The Enchantress

Hi Northernlad, the title was completely not done in a serious way, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was not really trying to suggest that all Minnesotans were freaks based on this one incident, and the preceding incident at the same school from a few years back mentioned in the article. I'm sure that most Minnesotans would find the behavior of this select group of Minnesotans just as bewildering as people from other states would. The title was just a comedic play on the article, not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or insinuate anything about people who live in the fine state of Minnesota.

I agree with you, it sounds incredibly creepy and I can't see how anyone would have found it amusing to watch (blindfolded) kids make out with their parents.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

I tweaked your title. If you have a better one let me know.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
bigsilva77
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
oh sorry, it was in the article. if you really want to see the video i will post the link
Link please
bigsilva77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
ratchet
Mandarin

I saw the video - creepy indeed
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
DRL
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsilva77 View Post
Link please
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnhuLQCntN8

I have not seen it, just reading about it was creepy enough for me!