Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Tried to re-read this recently - it is so bad... can't even make it through issue #4 - ans it's only 12 issues.

Personally, everything after Planet Hulk - WWH ended badly, The Red Hulk series for the first 25 issues is pretty much all crap and the Hulk family was a failed experiment.
Planet Hulk was soooooooooo great and WWHulk was such a poor storyline. What a disappointment. Yeah, and nothing more need be said on Red Hulk and Hulk Family. Hulk's just not a "family" sort of character. What may work for other "solitary" characters, like Batman, just doesn't work for The Hulk.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #42
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Every Crisis storyline after the original.
The original crisis is SO dated and drawn out. 12 issues for something that couldve been told in half that but I understand that 12 issue maxi-series were the trend back then. Infinite Crisis is a masterpiece compared (or not) to the original Crisis in terms of compelling concise storytelling. I'm not saying that CoIE shouldnt have occurred since it was essential at the time...just that it's not as good as IC. I'll agree with you on Final Crisis though but that's because DC continued essential parts of the story in crossover titles which made the main book totally confusing if read alone.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #43
rychehitman
Galactus

I think a thread is needed to just focus on the debate over which CRISIS was the best.

IMO CoIE set the bar. So much happened and literally every character in the DCU at the time had some sort of appearance in the 12 issue run. It was before its time with the easter eggs and the scope of what it was intended to do.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #44
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Planet Hulk was soooooooooo great and WWHulk was such a poor storyline. What a disappointment. Yeah, and nothing more need be said on Red Hulk and Hulk Family. Hulk's just not a "family" sort of character. What may work for other "solitary" characters, like Batman, just doesn't work for The Hulk.
Agree 100%; the ball was dropped with WWH, and the Hulk is happiest when he's "left alone", as he says.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #45
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
I think a thread is needed to just focus on the debate over which CRISIS was the best.

IMO CoIE set the bar. So much happened and literally every character in the DCU at the time had some sort of appearance in the 12 issue run. It was before its time with the easter eggs and the scope of what it was intended to do.
I haven't read CoIE in years; I remember the "bullet points", but nothing else.. need to rectify that.

That said, Identity Crisis was a good read, I thought. I also like how the Zatanna "incident" is referenced in DC Comics still, by those characters who know of it; and not forcibly so.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
rychehitman
Galactus

If the Hulk is such a problem in the eyes of the Illuminati....why didn't they simply transer Bruce's consciousness into an android body/ LMD / etc. and destroy the biological body that is full of gamma rays?

Done and done.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #47
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
If the Hulk is such a problem in the eyes of the Illuminati....why didn't they simply transer Bruce's consciousness into an android body/ LMD / etc. and destroy the biological body that is full of gamma rays?

Done and done.
Xavier (the member who could do what you're suggesting, possibly) wasn't involved with the decision to shoot the Hulk into space (Tony didn't invite him to that meeting; for that matter, another Illuminati member, Namor, was against shooting the Hulk into space entirely, as he felt it was unjust behavior, and knew the Hulk would be pissed once he found his way back ), which is why the Hulk ultimately backed off from kicking his ass into orbit after destroying about 100 X-Men/mutants, all by himself.

The fight took Hulk and one of the younger mutants (she stretches.. I forget her name) into the X-Mansion's graveyard, where quite a few students were recently buried after being killed off during a Purifier attack on the Mansion (I think this happened a few years ago in their books); Hulk was saying even if Chuck wasn't there when the 'Nati decided to shoot him into space, he was an affiliated party by being Illuminati, but the girl got through to Hulk by saying Xavier's suffering enough already (by way of all of his dead students, which he helped bring about by making them part of his Academy).

Hulk said "You're already in your own personal Hell right now"/etc, and left.

Emma admitted earlier in the fight she couldn't get through to Hulk's mind (forget why), and Chuck refused to try; when the Hulk first arrived, he demanded Chuck X's surrender, and Chuck complied since he mentally projected to the students what the Illuminati was responsible for (and what happened on Sakaar. via the Hulk's noggin)... but his students said "he may agree to this, but we don't" and came at him, after which, promptly, the Hulk beat the snot out of 'em.

Hulk's mental faculties at the time weren't accessible to every telepath, and his healing factor's incredibly powerful... it's more thorough than Wolverine's... would his consciousness BE transferrable? I'm pretty sure you can't grow one of those back once it's gone for good.

Yes, Wolverine has been killed, his soul went to chat with Jean's soul, and he came back to life.. but that's just silly.. and supposedly Marvel's weakened him since Logan's main weapon for a while was getting himself "killed" so nobody else had to be. But if Logan's soul can leave his body only to return later, I'd think the Hulk's could as well... Hulk's body regenerates from nothing, so they'd have to keep it in a constant state of being broken down into nothing or he'd never stay dead.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #48
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
The original crisis is SO dated and drawn out. 12 issues for something that couldve been told in half that but I understand that 12 issue maxi-series were the trend back then. Infinite Crisis is a masterpiece compared (or not) to the original Crisis in terms of compelling concise storytelling. I'm not saying that CoIE shouldnt have occurred since it was essential at the time...just that it's not as good as IC. I'll agree with you on Final Crisis though but that's because DC continued essential parts of the story in crossover titles which made the main book totally confusing if read alone.
What kind of drugs are you on that I'm not getting any of?
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #49
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
What kind of drugs are you on that I'm not getting any of?
LOL The good kind.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #50
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Let's see off the top of my head.

Identity Crisis. (Geeze the only part of that I liked was the rather interesting death of Ronnie Raymond, I barely knew the character but was almost brought to tears when he flew away to make sure no one got hurt when he died/blew up). So you can kinda see why I was equally annoyed when he came back as a essentially binge drinking teenager who'd rather just party than be a hero.

Green Lantern Rebirth. I love all the new Corps but goddamn it. Parallax/Hal as hero turned villain was such a better idea that Hal guy who got possessed by a fear but that made him do nothing that had any relation to fear. Hal really doesn't bring anything to the Lantern Mythos that Alan Scott, Guy Gardner and Kyle Rayner don't in spades already. Plus it made the moral quandry of Zero Hour (letting Parallax win but restoring the Multiverse or stopping Parallax and possibly destroying all of reality) a moot point since now Parallax was being EEEEVIL.

Cry for Justice. I...I can't even think of anything about it to praise. Not. A. Thing.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote