Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Kinetiquettes

Old 02-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #51
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Mai was perfect aside from what they did with her eyes. You don't notice from afar, but up close it really holds back an otherwise stellar sculpt. Terry had some weird paint application choices in certain spots. Once again not really noticeable except up close. Packaging wise I just don't understand how they thought this would work. One of the parts of the effect on the base (the giant pink slash mark looking things to show off the laser) has a really long and thin point on it that ends up wrapping around part of the packaging. I wouldn't be surprised if it had broken off the moment they closed the box. I'll be inspecting and assembling the statue as a whole and I'll post some pictures and thoughts on it.

I'm hoping it is just that one part broken. If so I will probably ask for credit as I wouldn't be surprised if a replacement one would have the same issue.

Edit: almost done setting her up. Expect a full writeup and some pictures soon!
Gyro Zeppeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #52
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Sorry for the delay. As usual my photos are really bad, but I figured I would try to take some anyway. Anyway let me get the bad out of the way first, which is the breakage.

As you can see the way the effect of the imperial ray is done is by having all those pink slash effects surrounding where the beam would be. Three of them are supposed to circle above the statue and reach the other side. Two of them are on one side, and the other is on its own. That separate one broke clean in the packaging. I had nothing to do with it and it is clear to me from the way it is packaged that there is a huge risk of this happening. I'm honestly not sure how I want to deal with this. I could probably glue it, but since it is translucent I am guessing the crack will be really noticeable from that side. I am hoping Sideshow can either send me a replacement part or give me a decent partial credit. I am hesitant to return the whole statue because I think the breakage will just happen again, and also because...

she is otherwise wonderful. I'm really happy with how she turned out. Problems aside, I always felt this company had a lot of potential. Both Terry and Mai had shortcomings, but were amazing sculpts and ideas that were mostly realized. Dizzy is fully realized. From the getgo, I was shocked how well sculpted and painted Necron, Undine, and Dizzy are. Her face is so perfect and her expression looks more natural than it did in the prototype.

As much as I hate rubble and rock bases, this is one of the rare instances where it is done really well. The foliage and hints of greenery all over the rocks look fantastic. You can tell a lot of careful attention was put there as there is surprisingly quite a few shades of green, grey, and brown with some nice weathering too.

Every angle you view this statue there is so much going on. You essentially get three 1/6 scale statues in one so once I got her in hand I immediately understood why she was the price she was. She's also quite heavy too and everything connects to each other using magnets and rods, something I've noticed Kinetiquettes is really good at figuring out.

The engineering is top notch in general. I'm amazed how everything works out. Undine and Necron not only fit into the rocks of the base with a rod, but they also fasten into Dizzy's back for extra security. Dizzy herself goes into the base with a rod, but is also essentially kept locked in place by Undine and Necron. All the different pink effects are connected to the rubble via magnets. Dizzy's hair, arms, head, etc are all separate and were well packaged.

So everything was really thought out here and perfectly executed. That breakage is the only issue I have with it, and considering how well packaged everything else was I am wondering if I just got unlucky. Oh yeah there was one other issue: she doesn't come with any instructions. Seeing the pictures you won't understand, but trust me she is a complicated statue. There are so many pieces here that I had to keep turning around and placing randomly until it all worked out. I also ended up having to replace certain parts in different orders as the order you connect everything matters too. I'm really not sure why they didn't include a manual. Blizzard includes one even for their statues that are only a base, body, and arm lol.

If you have any interest in this character then buy this statue. I don't think Dizzy will ever get a better one than this, and she already had some great figures in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	136936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	136937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	136938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	136939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	136940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	136941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	136942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dizzy8.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	136943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakage.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	136944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakage2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	136945  

Old 02-13-2021, 04:58 AM   #53
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

And with that I'm a lot more comfortable with Kinetiquettes as a whole. Hope they could live up to the potential I felt I saw in them was what kept me from canceling my preorder with Dizzy. Even with the breakage, I am really impressed with how she turned out. I'll be keeping an eye out on their future releases. So long as they keep doing characters that interest me, I want to keep supporting them.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:03 AM   #54
qz33
Doctor Doom

Pretty rad looking. Might want to try asking Kinetiquettes just to see.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #55
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Yeah maybe asking Sideshow was a waste of time
Old 02-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #56
Westhelle
Shadowhawk

Wow the statue itself looks great and I agree that the face looks much better on the final product than on the prototype. Sucks to hear that it is such a fragile piece.
I'm really tempted to add her to my collection, eventho I don't usually collect 1:6 statues.

I'll wait til a few videos of her surface on youtube.
Westhelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #57
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

I think if worse comes to worse you could take a decent credit and glue it, with the break being behind Necrons arm...if displayed at an angle you would never see it.

I agree when it comes to portraits and paint they nailed all 3 of them, i was especially impressed with the paints/eyes on Necron.

My only problem with this piece which is what it's always been is length and how to display...I REALLY want to see it in hand though and work out that angle and see if i could make it work..

If i see her in the UK (which i really doubt lol) i'll pick her up.

I really want a GOOD GG line and Kinetiquettes have the potential to give us that, but 1 piece up for PO in 4 YEARS since initial reveal...I just can't get excited to get a Sol Vs Ky piece in another 4 years...
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #58
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Yeah she might end up being a one off at this rate. It's a shame too since I would like to see them tackle more of the females in a similar way. Imagine a statue of Jam using her dragon kick, or I-No using chemical love.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #59
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Yeah she might end up being a one off at this rate. It's a shame too since I would like to see them tackle more of the females in a similar way. Imagine a statue of Jam using her dragon kick, or I-No using chemical love.
A dynamic 1/6 line is exactly what GG needs, just imagining what could be done with Zato, Slayer, Jam, Johnny, May, Raven, Jack-O.....Faust!

I would buy the lot for sure...
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #60
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Yeah. I love the idea of each statue being a 1/6 "diorama" that is just the character doing one of their most iconic flashy attacks. There are a lot of horizontal huge moves they could choose from if they want to try to keep the characters having a similar footprint to Dizzy. Would also help them stand out from the rest of the market.

Jam - Ryujin dragon kick
Ino - horizontal chemical love
Baiken - tatami mat (I think this would look so cool) or the fireworks dragon from her air Dust
May - riding a dolphin
Millia has that move where she rides her hair like a board
Faust has the long range fishing grab thing
Anji's anti air grab On with his fan fully out
Justice having her sword slash fully extended
Almost any of Axl's moves

And so on and so forth. So many awesome choices they could go for. I'd love to see Axl, but I'm nervous his kusarigama would snap if they tried to have it in an extended pose.