Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #141
built2shred
Phoenix

Not every franchise is for everyone.. I know the Fast and Furious is a popular franchise but I just don't get it myself, the stories are so bad and the acting is meh... but it makes a lot of money....
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #142
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
I also have Marvel fatigue. I know I'm the extreme minority but I didn't like Infinity War at all. For me, the story was too convoluted, the fight scenes dragged on endlessly and I was just kind of bored through the entire thing.
Same here, just didn’t like it and was really let down. It was ok but I too was bored and just not into it...liked Antman 2 much better!

Solo was good though, not great but again, much better than Last Jedi.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #143
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Not every franchise is for everyone.. I know the Fast and Furious is a popular franchise but I just don't get it myself, the stories are so bad and the acting is meh... but it makes a lot of money....
Case in point! I love the hell out of Fast and Furious because it always fulfills my expectations, terrible story, ridiculous cars, cheesy Vin Diesel one liners, all there, all the time, every movie, except for like the second or third one, I think.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #144
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Fast and Furious movies have great characters, superb action, and even some drama. Something Ep9 lacked big time!

I love the Fast movies, especially once The Rock joined.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #145
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Fast and Furious movies have great characters, superb action, and even some drama. Something Ep9 lacked big time!

Agreed, mostly. Not sure about the great characters. Cheese ball for sure and I love it!
Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #146
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yep, felt the same way about John Wick.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #147
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

LOL, I love that you wrote EP9 by accident, though we all know this statement is going to be true anyway
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #148
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Last I checked a $120 a month cable bill is not exactly free.
Yeah, but you're already paying that. It's a subconscious expense.

Quote:
The way I took your argument was watching to many movies within a franchise (during a short period of time) gives you fatigue regardless if the movie is bad or good. Now your saying that's only if you pay $8 for a ticket? So if all these Star Wars movies were direct to TV there would be no fatigue and they would all be popular?
Nah, you were just comparing movie fatigue to a TV show and how long it ran for, which has a much smaller budget per episode, requires much less viewership to be considered a success and as mentioned, requires much less effort to experience than a movie of similar nature.

I still believe as you state, too many movies in a short period of time produces fatigue.

Quote:
Imo when it comes to movies, either the movie is entertaining or it's not. If you have a franchise and you keep releasing bad to meh movies then people will lose interest in the franchise and move on to something else. If on the other hand you keep releasing winners (IE: Marvel) then the franchise can stay strong for a long time.

I'm not saying that fatigue doesn't play a part but if you keep releasing really good movies fatigue is going to be very minimal regardless of the time between movie releases.
You're kinda right, we've already addressed Marvel. However even something like Harry Potter with a rabid fan base and good films throughout had declining sales until the finale at the end.

I'm not saying fatigue can't be minimised by quality writing/direction but over time it will happen. Another way of combating fatigue is for the main trilogy films to be spaced out, making them more of an event and have people hungry for them.

As it is, they are just another star wars film with another around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Not sure what point you're trying to make. The Last Jedi is a terrible movie, no matter if one pays to watch it or saw it for free.
Well, you've already said you basically don't like star wars, with only 2 out of the 10 film franchise getting a pass mark.

We were debating franchise fatigue.

Quote:
I think I forgot what exactly we were arguing about
I mentioned they shouldn't produce a Star Wars movie every year. You said they should just get good....

Quote:
I believe his argument for the Solo movie doing bad was they're releasing the movies to close to each other, were my argument was the TLJ pissed off so many fans with a horrible story most refused to go see the Solo movie out of protest in an attempt to get Disney to replace Kennedy as President of Lucasfilms....
Nope, nothing to do with Solo. I just said I felt the Star Wars franchise in general suffered by them coming out before the ink on the contract was dry, saying that they were going to do one movie a year.

My belief was that diminishing returns would net fewer ticket sales as the movies came out. You felt that not to be the case if they were good.

I still believe that no matter how good the movies are perceived, ticket sales would decline over time as people can always just catch the next one at theatres.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:43 AM   #149
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
LOL, I love that you wrote EP9 by accident, though we all know this statement is going to be true anyway
LOL
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #150
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by off View Post
LOL
Now I know it will suck. That Doctor Who dude was just cast. Awful.