Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector
Storm, Jean Gray, or Invisible Woman would have hit more mass appeal than spider-woman as well!

AS far as Dr. Strange, come on! While Silver Surfer or Namor may be questionable, I'd rather see them there than STrange.
Surfer, I'll give you, but Dr. Strange waay before Subby. Thor and Daredevil before Wolverine, Surfer, Subby, Elektra and, Spider-woman (sorry MB). I'd even vote for a few villians before those as well.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
XSE
Nightwing

I'll wait to see them, but the line-up is so-so....I really like the DC stamps though....hopefully they will look really good
XSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #13
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

hawkeye never gets love in these things. i am surprised he got a slurpee cup. of course it was in the 70s when he was one of 4 avengers. i am surethey are just saving some heroes for a second release.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!!
Surfer, I'll give you, but Dr. Strange waay before Subby. Thor and Daredevil before Wolverine, Surfer, Subby, Elektra and, Spider-woman (sorry MB). I'd even vote for a few villians before those as well.
Sorry, but I can't possibly see how Dr. Strange, Thor, and Daredevil come before Wolverine. He is a top five, if not top three, marvel hero these days, especially mainstream wise. Sure he's not from the 60's, but you can't deny his role in the marvel u now.

As for Elektra and Spiderwoman, they were gonna put in two women, so two guys had to be bumped. I still argue an Invisible Woman/Storm or Invisible Woman/Phoenix combo would have been better, but I'm not too upset.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
fossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Elektra but not Daredevil? No Thor?
they did say they wanted to keep the 8-2 breakdown of male-female like the DC stamps...but Spider Woman & Elektra???
Old 08-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
MerriemsDaughter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I am ecstatic that Spider-Woman is there, but I would've liked to see Storm also.
The whole thing about Wasp or Wanda having more "mass appeal" than Jessica is debatable.
If you really think about it, the fact that Spider-Woman has the word "spider" in her name is in itself the reason they included her and an understandable marketing decision, since Spider-man is their # 1 character.
Plus like it or not, neither Wanda nor Wasp are known for anything beyond their teams' dynamics...they never had a regular ongoing series, or a TV cartoon or tons of ancillary merchandising like Jessica had in the seventies (Halloween costumes, Slurpee cups, underoos, appearances in Saturday Night Live and some other comedy show whose name I forget)

I am not talking about who's the better character or not, don't get me wrong...I am just saying that Marvel probably went by who they think has a good chance (today) of becoming a well-known property beyond comic book fanboys and fangirls.

Personally, Storm has a great significance in comics' history, as well as Black Panther, and if I were to choose which females to include I would have THREE: Spider-Woman (for the reasons mentioned above), Storm (The first substantial, massively known female character of color in Marvel comics), and Sue Storm (I would have her being the FF representative, not Ben, and she is indeed one of the best known female women ever and a huge part of its history)

As for the other stamps...no Dr.Strange or Thor???

My lineup would've been:

Spider-man
Hulk
Cap
Iron Man
Wolverine
Dr.Strange
Thor
Storm
Sue Storm
Spider-Woman

These are the Spider-Woman images I would choose: I can't imagine a Spider-Woman stamp that would reflect a "classic cover" not using the cover for Spider-Woman # 1;and the Frank Cho splash for New Avengers # 14 is a favorite of mine that imo has a very cool looking close up of Jessica...

MerriemsDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

I can only venture a guess here...No Thor because he is the GOD of Thunder...flack from religious groups...No Daredevil...No clue...I think the Original Human Torch would have fit nicely with the Original Captain America and the Original Submariner...if they are using the originals...to round out the Golden Age...Wolverine because he is so popular with the younger generation...As to Electra and Spiderwoman before some of the other wimmen...again...No clue...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #18
bat_collector
Galactus

I think merriams daughter does have a great point. Wasp and Scarlet aren't really known outside the comic community.

Stil would rather Storm make it.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
fossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nuff
I can only venture a guess here...No Thor because he is the GOD of Thunder...flack from religious groups...No Daredevil...No clue...I think the Original Human Torch would have fit nicely with the Original Captain America and the Original Submariner...if they are using the originals...to round out the Golden Age...Wolverine because he is so popular with the younger generation...As to Electra and Spiderwoman before some of the other wimmen...again...No clue...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #20
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossa
Fossa...You are not allowed to hit wimmen...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote