Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Augen
Metal Men

Cool Ted Lasso discussion (with spoilers)

As requested season two just ended, discuss AFC Richmond here.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

thanks, i was too lazy to make one. season started off a little too sitcomy for me, and i really think they skipped out on some really important character moments (there really should've been a talk between Ted and Sam after Jaime returned for example) but over all another really great season. I think they could've done a better job of showing us why Nate felt so neglected instead of him just telling us in the end, but i could at least see where they wanted us to relate to him. also calling Trent taking Keely's job as a result of him being locked out of his car and bumping into Rebecca in the parking lot.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I don’t think I needed to “relate” to Nate. I liked him and how he was getting confident, finding friends, and expressing himself. What I never saw was that he was neglected and ignored. What did I miss there? It does say volumes about how much I’m invested when I went from liking him, feeling sad for him and now wanting to smack his ass.

To not use all my talking points at once - I’d like to say I am Team Rebecca and Sam!! Not forever pairing but a good time, sweet and sexy pairing.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
What I never saw was that he was neglected and ignored.
that's my point, they never showed it and that is one of the downfalls of the season and this storyline. Nate is an incredibly insecure man with obvious daddy issues, so Ted coming in and showing him that he can accomplish things and be a leader and not a follower conflicted with his inner self, problem is we've only ever seen Ted be supportive and proud of him so the breakdown in their relationship really seems out of place. the only time i can even think of where Ted even slightly knocked him down was early in the season when he laughed at the notion of Nate being a "big dog" in the Isaac situation.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
Augen
Metal Men

I think Nate's self image has been one based on negative self loathing and sense of smallness. He was the victim of bullying and dealt with a father that never approved of him. People didn't even know his name, he was invisible and would have remained down likely his whole life isolated.
Then Ted Lasso shows up and gives Nate something, hope. He learns his name, lifts him up and sees the potential in him. Nate develops confidence, and in doing so comes to resent his past self. He spits at the mirror seeing his own reflection as disgusting and something to overcome. He becomes a bully himself when given authority over others. Conflicted with himself Nate tried to break free and finds he isn't taken seriously as a threat to Roy that way Jamie is.
Nate hates this, he hates the fact that he sees himself and how others see him. In his anger he blames Ted. It was easy before, he wasn't happy, but he knew his place, but now he is filled with bitterness. To take a line from the show "it's the hope that kills you".

I don't think Nate's journey is close to being over and how his layers will be revealed in S3 and beyond. In hindsight the entire arc will hopefully make more sense to people.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Damn Augen that is deep....and I am here for it. I also think Nate will come full circle, just like Jamie. Til that time I'm still gonna hate him

What did you guys think of the Christmas episode? I don't think I have laughed so hard in an episode and I enjoyed random Christmas cheer in the summer. BTW the girl who plays Phoebe is fantastic. Any scene with her and Brent (Roy) I just know will be gold.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
SDguy

I agree with Augen's comment. I also think maybe they did it on purpose... to have Nate's story line come a little out of left field, and not completely spelled out and foreshadowed for the viewer. Perhaps to put us into Ted's frame of mind more? Realize how easy it is to miss something when you are dealing with your own crap.

I absolutely loved the Christmas episode. I'll likely rewatch that one for years to come. It was so funny and feel good, I just couldn't get enough of it. How I restrained myself from putting up my xmnas lights in August I'll never know.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
SDguy

Oh, I also felt Jamie's story came around full circle almost too quickly. I definitely hope they make Nate's a longer run... those are some major issues to deal with, to resolve so quickly.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
Augen
Metal Men

One aspect I found interesting is how men's relationships with other men, in particular fathers.

Ted - We learn Ted's father committed suicide and deeply that affected Ted, how he tried to be eternally optimistic and never quit. How he struggles against his mental health and dealing with losing his wife to divorce and rarely seeing his son due to distance.

Jamie - Seeking affirmation and finding only a father who mocks and belittles him Jamie retreats into himself never wanting to be vulnerable. It's only after seeing other paths that he questions and confronts his father about the toxic relationship.

Sam - A positive relationship full of love and encouragement. The only conflict is when Sam's father asks him to consider his actions and who he associates with (oil company). This pushes Sam to be better and brings out the best in his character.

Nate - A stern father who demands and is never impressed. Even when Nate shows his pride, his father dismisses it as lacking humility.

A lot of the show is about finding family within the club and challenging home life. Jamie hearing Sam's conversation makes him consider his own dynamics. Ted and Roy take on surrogate roles to help the younger guys work through things in productive fashion.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Since Apple+ original programming is pretty new, I wonder if they look at shows as Netflix does? As in, don't drag it out past the golden number of 4-5 seasons. This could be why things seem rushed to us, but I imagine now that we have a whole new team with two nemeses it will move at a slower pace.

Mr. Yac, you had a very interesting theory in Trent taking Keely's old job. Never crossed my mind that might be a thing

Augen, you're there seems to be a lot of Daddy drama and I think you missed two - Rebecca had her own issues with her now dead Dad. Also, didn't Roy's father leave him when he was very young?

Vanity sidenote: It's refreshing to see the women's faces move. Not all frozen and botoxed. Hannah Waddingham has a body I could only dream of having. #Shame for me