Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #41
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
DL you are a really good sport and I am sorry if any of reponses seemed short or condescending. That was not my intention. As for provinding a link, I don't know if I could even find the conversation(s) anymore, they are SO burried in all the XM threads that I am pretty sure I would NEVER be able to fine them again. I know the general gist as I said in the other thread, I just know that they aren't interested in that kind of partnership with SSC right now or atleast they weren't during those conversations, and I don't see that changing. MAYBE when XM has the ability to negotiate THEIR terms from a stronger position, but as of right now SSC is the big kid on the block and they would most likely insist on calling the shots. I just can't see XM going into that kind of relationship right now.
If XM has the mindset of not wanting to deal with SS right now...good for them...I think is a smart business move for the being.

XM is new to the market and at this point would have minimal leverage in negotiating a distribution agreement with SS. As you mentioned Spidey....any agreement negotiated at this point and time would likely overwhelmingly favor SS.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Logic View Post
No hard feelings friend, "thick skin" is my middle name...for now.
It is all good m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traylorc View Post
If XM has the mindset of not wanting to deal with SS right now...good for them...I think is a smart business move for the being.

XM is new to the market and at this point would have minimal leverage in negotiating a distribution agreement with SS. As you mentioned Spidey....any agreement negotiated at this point and time would likely overwhelmingly favor SS.
Yep, I wouldn't do it if I were them. They don't need to right now, and when they have more stroke ... Well that is when I could see it happen for the betterment of both parties.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #43
mistermark
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I wouldn't want SS touching my XM pieces in any form -- creation, design, painting or shipping. It only muddies the waters if there are issues.

This is true especially since SSC has started phoning in their Marvel lines and shifted a great deal to DC and orignal pieces. Which is fine -- I enjoy having the options for both Marvel (XM) and DC (SS) pieces.

IF XM gets the rights to DC (which I don't see happening) then SSC might start feeling cagey. Until then, let them live in some sort of peace where fans of collecting don't have to worry about too many cooks in the kitchen.

Hell, we can't even get thru a thread without nit-picking ONE company design and pitting SSC and XM against each other thru own opinions. Could you imagine if TWO companies worked together?! Lord almighty.
I agree with all of this. I am probably still getting Catwoman from SS and new Freddy Krueger PF but after that, I am all about XM. Their quality is incredible as are their designs. Low ES, brilliant and unique designs and solid casts. Totally worth the extra cost and frankly, much classier to not ever be affiliated with SS (SS business model and qc has tarnished their rep lately). XM is too new and they have done no wrong as of yet, so why go to an old company that seems to be on a slow decline?
mistermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #44
bicoid18
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrog View Post

No probs, I'll do my best. Got a decent macro lens if you want REALLY close up pics, heh. Won't be necessary though.

I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing what the hulk looks like as I didn't order him so want to see if I like the look of him in person / if I could get one and do a custom head.

And yeah, I'll do my best to buy them as many drinks as possible but I have to save as much cash as possible for future XM releases so unless they are lightweights then we'll be none the wiser!
Cheers Bobfrog, I hope XM Hulk impresses in person.

I'm looking at facing some tough choices in terms of purging some stuff to help fund my XM orders in the new year. So I guess I'm hoping your pics will help make letting those pieces go easier to swallow.
bicoid18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #45
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
It is all good m8

Yep, I wouldn't do it if I were them. They don't need to right now, and when they have more stroke ... Well that is when I could see it happen for the betterment of both parties.
I agree. Now may not be the time for the reasons you explained. In the future I think it would be great to see some XM pieces via SS distribution (only) to allow the states and EU some hassle free XM pieces.

I agree it would be important to have the deal set up where xm maintains QC standards and they be the ones to produce the piece. In regards to leverage, I do think it would be very important for SS to approach XM first on this vs the other way around. As you said, leverage is important in negotiating terms and if XM came knocking at SS door, that would give SS the leverage advantage thus the possibility of less favorable terms. And we all know, XM DOES NOT NEED SS badly enough to accept less favorable terms. To be fair, I don't know if SS would pull a move like that..Id hope they would be more than fair considering collectors are watching how SS will treat the fan favored XM.

In the corporate world, Ive seen instances where the bigger more dominate company would welcome the hot, new kid on the block in a collaboration or in this case, distribution as a show of good faith and to show the customers, "see, we love these guys too...no ill will..we have nothing to fear from them".lol...

If some don't like SS current pieces, you have to at least appreciate there efforts at positioning themselves as a hub (go between) for distribution and licensing. If you feel SS standards have declined, the focus on distribution is a smart move.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #46
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thing is, Sideshow is slow. They may have set the standards and so on, but they are failing to adapt. Every change they make seems to take forever to be accomplished. People have been complaining about the open ES in their Legendary Scale line for years, and Sideshow waited until a few days ago to slap an ES on the Obi Wan LSF, probably because it was selling SO BAD that they NEEDED the low ES to sell it.
I mean, it doesn't take years and years of pondering to take a similar decision? Years in which their pieces are produced with old criterias. This is the main factor for which their LSF line has been a huge fail up to now, and it took years for them to figure it out and we still have only ONE case where they applied common sense. Let's see if future LSFs keep this INNOVATIVE INNOVATION alive or if they'll just try to go back to open ES.

I don't know why everything takes so long for them, but if they keep this pace they'll likely open to XM when XM will have a worldwide license for everything and will need SS even less than now.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #47
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Thing is, Sideshow is slow. They may have set the standards and so on, but they are failing to adapt. Every change they make seems to take forever to be accomplished. People have been complaining about the open ES in their Legendary Scale line for years, and Sideshow waited until a few days ago to slap an ES on the Obi Wan LSF, probably because it was selling SO BAD that they NEEDED the low ES to sell it.
I mean, it doesn't take years and years of pondering to take a similar decision? Years in which their pieces are produced with old criterias. This is the main factor for which their LSF line has been a huge fail up to now, and it took years for them to figure it out and we still have only ONE case where they applied common sense. Let's see if future LSFs keep this INNOVATIVE INNOVATION alive or if they'll just try to go back to open ES.

I don't know why everything takes so long for them, but if they keep this pace they'll likely open to XM when XM will have a worldwide license for everything and will need SS even less than now.
lol...sounds like SS better reach out quick before they are not needed.

Slow?...funny you should say that. Something comes to mind. Consider Im not saying this is SS problem...Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are light years from this, but I've seen situations in big, older type (privately held) companies where management is older..been in the position for years, not very computer literate, less ambitious and not up on current software or innovations, using the same old software back from years ago (for basic paper work and official forms)...They just do things in a very slow, procrastinating, last minute, (wait til your back is up against the wall) manner. These people maybe actually do work 30 minutes out of a 8hr day with a 2 to 3 hour lunch. Very stuborn and set in there ways. Cant tell them squat. These guys sit back comfortable, no longer hungry and totally out of touch. The most talented and motivated in the company are usually the artists or grunts but they are constantly slowed down by there superiors. Again, not saying this is side show, just what I've observed in other industries. I personaly hope SS will never get like this.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #48
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEETEE View Post
I am also not sure that they are the official distributor but on the German forum, the shop said that they had to buy 300 XM-pieces to be able to get them all. Magneto was there for sale a few days ago, I saw it for sale for 1100€...

I followed the discussion there a little bit and it seems that they had to buy the stock of Semic(French, previous European distributor).
Well, this completely defeats the purpose of european distribution. The prices are so high that you could seriously order from Asia, pay the expensive shipping and the ludicrous customs fees, and still spend less than that.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #49
CEETEE
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Well, this completely defeats the purpose of european distribution. The prices are so high that you could seriously order from Asia, pay the expensive shipping and the ludicrous customs fees, and still spend less than that.
What I could understand is that the first ones are so expensive because they had to invest a big amount upfront already.

The new statues of 2015 would have a much better pricing....

I never ordered from them so I can't so anything about them. Like you said I am not sure they are the official distributor since XM did not announce anything yet.
CEETEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #50
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Still makes no sense. I could understand for sold out pieces like Magneto and Phoenix (even if I'm not crazy about an official retailer flipping preorders), but thanos pre-preorder at 999€? Hawkeye, Ant Man and Hulk at 800-850€?
The only one that COULD pass is the Mark 42 at 719€. Still overpriced, and it's plenty available from Singapore too, but at least it doesn't have a ludicrous mark up.

I have a bad feeling about this, honestly.