Statue Forum 





Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #271
nearmint
Phoenix
 
nearmint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Secret Sanctuary
Posts: 12,187
She still looks too young to me. Like a teenage Ripley.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:29 PM   #272
qz33
Rescue
 
qz33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 15,955
For sure the update is a huge improvement but no one will be getting that in their homes.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:09 PM   #273
Johnny Utah
A day without sunshine is like... night.
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 246
The likeness and sculpt are always number 1, and the deciding factor for me.

In this case, it's a miss. They could still update it.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #274
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
 
marker2037's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
I usually refrain from being disputatious but going to chime in on this remark.

Entitled?

No, collectors want something worthy of the money they?re spending. When it appears a company is phoning it in, we call them on it.

Thank the maker for massive competition, or else we?d be spending thousands on statues that look like 1st grade school projects.
The only way to "call them on it" is by not buying it. Companies learn fast and hard if their products don't sell and even if there was only 1st grade school projects being put out I would never buy something just because it's the only game in town.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #275
SDguy
Moderator
Moderator
 
SDguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I completely agree with what you're saying here, but it sounds like most collectors are complaining about the sculpt specifically.

Not to sound like a wise-arse, but if Weaver is a tough likeness for professional artists to nail, would it really be a shocker that the audience's radar is off as well? There's always room for improvement, but some people are saying this looks "nothing " like her, that her teeth are too prominent, and I can't help but wonder what image they have of Weaver in their minds.

When asked by a fan what the problem with the sculpt is, one critic on Instagram replied "The fact you need to ask worries me." I'm not saying you have to be a professional to recognize a bad likeness, but if you reply with that, it gives the impression you don't have anything of substance to say and your eyes can't be trusted. If you say the sculpt is slightly off, ok, there's room for uncertainty. If you claim it looks nothing like her at all, then expert or not, you should be able to specify what's so blatantly wrong with it.

This matters because unclear or unreliable criticism can lead the company to simply ignore their customers in the future.
You really nailed it, and it's a pretty rampant issue via social media.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #276
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.
 
Yojimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: US
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
even if there was only 1st grade school projects being put out I would never buy something just because it's the only game in town.
It’s all relative. You can say that easily because of the competition and how high they’re raising the bar.

Go back 15 years.

We would be salivating for some basic Pred piece that just ‘resembled’ it from afar. Because it was the best available. Didn’t have the luxury of nitpicking everything.

This is also why P1 is getting sh*t on a lot lately. They’re asking 2022 prices for 2016 pieces. They haven’t evolved yet.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:30 PM   #277
cigaro
Justice League
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I completely agree with what you're saying here, but it sounds like most collectors are complaining about the sculpt specifically.

Not to sound like a wise-arse, but if Weaver is a tough likeness for professional artists to nail, would it really be a shocker that the audience's radar is off as well? There's always room for improvement, but some people are saying this looks "nothing " like her, that her teeth are too prominent, and I can't help but wonder what image they have of Weaver in their minds.

When asked by a fan what the problem with the sculpt is, one critic on Instagram replied "The fact you need to ask worries me." I'm not saying you have to be a professional to recognize a bad likeness, but if you reply with that, it gives the impression you don't have anything of substance to say and your eyes can't be trusted. If you say the sculpt is slightly off, ok, there's room for uncertainty. If you claim it looks nothing like her at all, then expert or not, you should be able to specify what's so blatantly wrong with it.

This matters because unclear or unreliable criticism can lead the company to simply ignore their customers in the future.
Anyone who says this sculpt looks nothing like her is being disingenuous.

It honestly cracks me up to see a ton of people saying the portrait on this is off, but then a ton of praise for a statue like the JND Catwoman which is an absolutely horrible depiction of an unmasked Anne Hathaway.

I just dont get it.
cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #278
Blade3327
Nightwing
 
Blade3327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
It honestly cracks me up to see a ton of people saying the portrait on this is off, but then a ton of praise for a statue like the JND Catwoman which is an absolutely horrible depiction of an unmasked Anne Hathaway.
Had to look it up to see what you were referring to.

Good lord.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:05 PM   #279
MASTERSAFARA
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
 
MASTERSAFARA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster, Ca
Posts: 1,125
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigaro View Post
Anyone who says this sculpt looks nothing like her is being disingenuous.

It honestly cracks me up to see a ton of people saying the portrait on this is off, but then a ton of praise for a statue like the JND Catwoman which is an absolutely horrible depiction of an unmasked Anne Hathaway.

I just dont get it.
It looks like her but they definitely went overboard.
MASTERSAFARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #280
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
I completely agree with what you're saying here, but it sounds like most collectors are complaining about the sculpt specifically.

Not to sound like a wise-arse, but if Weaver is a tough likeness for professional artists to nail, would it really be a shocker that the audience's radar is off as well? There's always room for improvement, but some people are saying this looks "nothing " like her, that her teeth are too prominent, and I can't help but wonder what image they have of Weaver in their minds.

When asked by a fan what the problem with the sculpt is, one critic on Instagram replied "The fact you need to ask worries me." I'm not saying you have to be a professional to recognize a bad likeness, but if you reply with that, it gives the impression you don't have anything of substance to say and your eyes can't be trusted. If you say the sculpt is slightly off, ok, there's room for uncertainty. If you claim it looks nothing like her at all, then expert or not, you should be able to specify what's so blatantly wrong with it.

This matters because unclear or unreliable criticism can lead the company to simply ignore their customers in the future.
You have been the voice of reason my friend. I think it?s a damn fine sculpt and you can see that with the updated paint apps


As we all know bad paint apps can ruin a great sculpt. Unfortunately I don?t see many companies being able to replicate those paint apps
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com