Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 01-29-2024, 12:58 PM   #191
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Yup, exactly. Very different team in the second half.
Nothing can make a team go cold like a big lead at half time. Hard to find that same momentum after a break.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #192
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Yep, if they?d taken the field goal at least they?d have gone into OT. I know his aggressive coaching got them to the championship finals but I was yelling at the TV for him NOT to go for it on 4 and take the 3 points!
I was screaming at the TV and pounding the table. "Take the F**king Points"

Quote:
There were actually 2 times in the game Campbell went for it instead of going for the 3 points. But can't blame the coach entirely. They started dropping passes like crazy in the second half.
I can blame the coaching staff for those two call - and will. In the first half, they took the points and kept their foot on the Niners throats.

When you see your team struggling with catching all of a sudden, you have to make what they are able to do worth something 3 is better than 0. And IMO that keeps the swing of momentum in check. Which is what I feel ultimately killed Detroit was they felt it slipping away and panicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Nothing can make a team go cold like a big lead at half time. Hard to find that same momentum after a break.
Nobody could have predicted that Aiyuk would make a crazy play off a defenders face mask. THAT was a soul crusher for sure. But Detroit had the chance to keep the lead and just keep the swing from getting out of control if they had kicked the FG. I will stick with this til the day I die (and I'm not even a Lions fan )
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #193
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

They should've gone for it at the end of the first half...kick was an easy one and the smart move but a TD there might've sealed the deal. If you're going to go for it where they did then go for it at the goal line. As for where they did go for it...it's one of those where if they had converted we wouldn't be talking about it outside of good ol' Dan doing good ol' Dan things and trusting his players. The kick was the smarter option but not a given...
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:00 PM   #194
qz33
Doctor Doom

Always expect the unexpected.

When I play any videogame football I believe in going for it on 4th down. I think that travels to real life except if you have the opportunity to actually score at least some points with a Field Goal.

Earlier in the 2nd Qtr I think the Lion's coach waifed on going for the touch down on 4th down and went for the field goal. If they'd made that touch down and extra point then that would have negated that 2nd half 4 and out when they could have had the field goal and imagining only that one change the Lions would have won the game by 1 point.

Difference is that 2nd time in the 2nd half the Lions had gone cold where in the 1st half they were manhandling the field. You take risks when you're hot and you don't when you're not.
With that big of a lead and being tired after half a came complacency is hard to fight off. As Bane said: "Victory has defeated you..."
Old 01-29-2024, 02:01 PM   #195
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
They should've gone for it at the end of the first half...kick was an easy one and the smart move but a TD there might've sealed the deal. If you're going to go for it where they did then go for it at the goal line. As for where they did go for it...it's one of those where if they had converted we wouldn't be talking about it outside of good ol' Dan doing good ol' Dan things and trusting his players. The kick was the smarter option but not a given...
Oooh yeah you beat me to it!
Old 01-29-2024, 03:04 PM   #196
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

I have no issue with the 4th down calls, the receivers just dropped balls on some crucial plays...we turned into the regular season Chiefs receiving core in the 2nd half But this year, and especially the postseason, was really valuable experience for this core group. It's sad it had to end this way, but it was a great ride and Lions fans have so much to look forward to.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:40 PM   #197
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The other real headscratcher was the change in defensive strategy. Like WTH? It was golden in the first half. San Fran was going to get their points, but the change was insane.

It's like the Lions couldn't believe it was happening so easily - so they challenged themselves

Next season will be telling because their schedule is harder by default with the fill-in games being the #1s in their respective divisions. Meanwhile, my Vikes will be bottom tier in the North. I think the Bears are on the come-up and the Packers are always annoying.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:46 PM   #198
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The other real headscratcher was the change in defensive strategy. Like WTH? It was golden in the first half. San Fran was going to get their points, but the change was insane.

It's like the Lions couldn't believe it was happening so easily - so they challenged themselves

Next season will be telling because their schedule is harder by default with the fill-in games being the #1s in their respective divisions. Meanwhile, my Vikes will be bottom tier in the North. I think the Bears are on the come-up and the Packers are always annoying.
*sigh* a lifetime away. I wish I could hibernate March till September.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:30 PM   #199
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
There were actually 2 times in the game Campbell went for it instead of going for the 3 points. But can't blame the coach entirely. They started dropping passes like crazy in the second half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

I can blame the coaching staff for those two call - and will. In the first half, they took the points and kept their foot on the Niners throats.

When you see your team struggling with catching all of a sudden, you have to make what they are able to do worth something 3 is better than 0. And IMO that keeps the swing of momentum in check. Which is what I feel ultimately killed Detroit was they felt it slipping away and panicked.

Now wait a second ...I didn't say you can't blame the Coach. I said you can't blame the Coach entirely.

Campbell is partly to blame, but the receivers dropping the ball are also partly to blame.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:42 PM   #200
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swift.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	167901  
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote