Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-09-2024, 09:21 AM   #241
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
This may be the most attention I've seen Spiderman's ass garner...way to go everyone, new frontiers!

I blame it on Shoo ... and his Flanders post.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:25 AM   #242
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
Same sculptor who did all their highly stylized life sized busts. Hes a talented artist with a unique style but it doesnt work for these large scale pieces that I have always seen as realistic interpretations imo. Just like the divisive busts this seems to be a love it or hate it situation

Yup, those busts were not compelling to me either. But I do agree, the artist is very talented. It's just that his style is indeed very "love it or hate it".
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:11 PM   #243
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

My only problem with it is it makes no sense. Other than that....

When has Spider-Man's spider-sense served as a smoke-infused picture of the exact situation he's about to face?

I guess I can just call it "Spider-Man Sanity" and be done with it.

Why XM didn't try that with Spider-Man, I don't know. I'd be in BIG trouble, so I hope they don't.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:37 PM   #244
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

I see what you guys are saying about the artist style and this not really being the "Spidey Sense" , but for someone like me, who doesn't have a collection of Marvel stuff, this statue kinda tells it's own story, and gives you a glimpse at other characters, which I like, as it can be sort of a stand alone piece, I'm leaning towards preordering this
Atlantisatdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:13 PM   #245
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
I see what you guys are saying about the artist style and this not really being the "Spidey Sense" , but for someone like me, who doesn't have a collection of Marvel stuff, this statue kinda tells it's own story, and gives you a glimpse at other characters, which I like, as it can be sort of a stand alone piece, I'm leaning towards preordering this
I agree.

I've always liked diorama type bases, but unfortunately many seem to really dislike them. Especially classicists who want it as basic as possible and find such add-ons make the piece "too busy" for them.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:28 PM   #246
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

I too don't think it makes much sense to be his Spider-Sense. But it really is no problem to ignore Sideshow's explanation and come up with your own. Mysterio's hallucination would be my take.

I think everyone thinks bright zig zag lines when thinking about Spidey-Sense...but this would've looked weird in statue form. Maybe if they had huge zig zags in the background (similar to what they did with the fast ball special statue) and sculpted the sinister six into the zig zags.

darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:45 PM   #247
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Yeah, the real spider sense effect has always looked cartoony.

I think one of my Hot Toys figures came with the effect, and it looked like a cheap plastic halo.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:58 PM   #248
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I agree.

I've always liked diorama type bases, but unfortunately many seem to really dislike them. Especially classicists who want it as basic as possible and find such add-ons make the piece "too busy" for them.
Yeah everybody has different taste for different reasons, and I do think some bases are too busy, like the XM Spiderman, but I like this one
Old 02-09-2024, 10:10 PM   #249
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
Yeah everybody has different taste for different reasons, and I do think some bases are too busy, like the XM Spiderman, but I like this one
I find it kind of a surprise, that recently Sideshow are willing to create more involved bases. It doesn't always work, but they've been staying away from such ideas for years, while brands like Prime 1 and XM have been filling in this gap for near a decade.

In many ways, I find their designs are getting closer and closer to their competition, but without the higher sticker price. As can be shown by the ever-increasing comments in this sub-forum wanting more classic designs.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:45 PM   #250
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I find it kind of a surprise, that recently Sideshow are willing to create more involved bases. It doesn't always work, but they've been staying away from such ideas for years, while brands like Prime 1 and XM have been filling in this gap for near a decade.

In many ways, I find their designs are getting closer and closer to their competition. As can be shown by the ever-increasing comments in this sub-forum wanting more classic designs, but without the higher sticker price.
I guess sales will dictate which direction they go moving forward, but I think this Spiderman will be a success, and hey if they wanna do another Amazing spiderman of just him hanging off a ledge, I'm all for it