Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 01-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Keevilz
Doh!

Hot Toys - new collector question

Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first Hot Toys collectible soon after loving my NECA Heath Ledger Joker. Only question I have is;
I'm use to collecting statues rather than posable figures, looking at the vary in prices, am I right in assuming the cheaper they are the less great the quality of the figure is?
For example - seeing a Black Widow figure for £50, and then another Black Widow for around £150?

Any information on Hot Toys is appreciated!
Thanks
Keevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
LEC
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Not a very reliable brand when it comes to delivering on promised products.
LEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Keevilz,

Frist welcome to the board. I would suggest that you define your own definition for quality. Since you collect statues, you might be familiar with the debate on material of statues. Some collectors believe the resin statues are better quality over mixed media and PVC statues because the material costs more. I use criteria like sculpt accuracy, details, long term durability and others as my criteria. I always considered NECA as a provided of high end toys but many collecotrs are happy with what they deliver. What Hot Toys often delivers is highly accurate likenesses, detailed figures, and multiple accessories. In general, Hot Toys figures use a plastic body, fabric clothes, vinyl head and metal parts and rooted hair where appropriate. I suggest that you check out Hot Toys Facebook page where you can see the final production pieces or othe in-hand photographs to determine if the $200 and up price for a figure meets your criteria for quality.

I have a dozen Hot Toys figures and for the most part I have been very happy with them. I have had a few issues like the glue on Lt Gordon's uniform patches coming off (something I fixed), a missing pin on Robocop's finger (I fixed) and the cracking rubber cover on ED-209 (biggest disappointment).

Another concern for some, for Hot Toys to get th scale accuracy, some parts and accesories are extremely fragile and can be easily broken if not handled properly.

My biggest concern for any collectible is how well they will how up over the years. I display my collectibles, so i wonder how well they will will hold up to fading, cracking and becoming brittle. This goes for statues as it does with figures like Hot Toys.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keevilz View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first Hot Toys collectible soon after loving my NECA Heath Ledger Joker. Only question I have is;
I'm use to collecting statues rather than posable figures, looking at the vary in prices, am I right in assuming the cheaper they are the less great the quality of the figure is?
For example - seeing a Black Widow figure for £50, and then another Black Widow for around £150?

Any information on Hot Toys is appreciated!
Thanks
Welcome aboard - For me it depends on what captures your eye. I have cheaper figures that I significantly prefer to my Hot Toys and I have Hot Toys that could not be matched by others.

I think that the biggest detractor for me, based on my personal experience, is that the plastic tends to break down after a few years; and faster than other products. FTR I live in a climate very "collectable friendly" enhanced by a few things with my heating and humidifying systems. I changed a TDK display recently and the inner ring from a Ledger head pulled right out of the socket, a Bale head absorbed the black pattern and colour of the Hot Toys box it was in, and the handles on the Bat-Pod were all woefully loose.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 01-24-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Buy what you think looks good at a price you can afford. I have found what is an issue for some isn't an issue to others. I also have seen what some think is a great likeness, others don't think it is. So look online for in hand pictures and judge for yourself.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Welcome to the board my man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I think that the biggest detractor for me, based on my personal experience, is that the plastic tends to break down after a few years; and faster than other products.
I think there's some validity to this statement as you should be VERY careful with storing hot toys in their black plastic casing, since over time some of that rubber can absorb the colors around it.

Because their accessories are so detailed and minuscule, one has to handle them with the utmost care.

I keep my HT collection on constant display rotation and for the most part, do enjoy them although their prices are going up, like with all things.

Whatever you decide, stay away from the Iron Man line. They keep cranking out those puppies every 3 to 4 months. You'll be broke before you know it!
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #7
Keevilz
Doh!

Thanks all for your replies and the welcomes. I think Im set on buying what I like the look of providing I can afford it . I have now ordered Age of Austria Black Widow and War Machine. Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated and I hope I'm not going to ruin my bank account
Keevilz is offline   Reply With Quote