Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
DetroitSportsFan
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Manhunt 2 Gets "AO" Rating

From Gamespot.com

Manhunt 2 receives AO rating
ESRB tags Rockstar sequel with Adults Only initial rating; Take-Two now exploring its options.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Jun 19, 2007 2:44 pm PT

Earlier today, the British Board of Film Classification gave Manhunt 2 a thumbs down, banning it from sale in the UK due to its "unremitting bleakness" and "casual sadism." Now it appears the Entertainment Software Rating Board is ready to hand down its own most restrictive rating to the latest controversial offering from Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar Games.

A Take-Two representative told GameSpot today that the ESRB has issued an initial rating of AO for Adults Only to Manhunt 2. While not an outright ban, the rating would severely limit a game's sales potential, as most major American retailers have chosen not to carry games rated AO.

As for the reason this is only an "initial" rating, when the ESRB rates a game, it notifies the publisher 30 days prior to publicly releasing its decision. This gives publishers unhappy with ratings the chance to either modify their games and resubmit them for a second assessment, or go before the ESRB's appeals board to challenge it directly.

"We believe the process of rating video games is to help people make informed entertainment choices and not to limit them," a Take-Two representative said. "Manhunt 2 was created for mature audiences and we strongly believe it should receive an M (Mature) rating, aligning it with similar content created in other forms of media. We are exploring our options with regard to the rating of Manhunt 2."

While Take-Two doesn't agree with the idea of an AO-rated Manhunt 2, one parent watchdog group believes it's only appropriate. Earlier today, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood demanded that the ESRB give Manhunt 2 an AO rating, saying that "harmful effects of ultra-violent video games on children will be magnified by playing them on the interactive Nintendo Wii system."

The group's announcement contained a statement from Dr. Michael Rich, director of the Center on Media and Child Health at Children's Hospital Boston, who explained, "The content of Manhunt 2 and the unique physical interaction with the Wii control combine to take [the game's simulation] a level closer to reality--we can expect that the effects of this experience will be even greater."

The group directed like-minded individuals to contact ESRB president Patricia Vance with their concerns, and Vance today issued her response.

"We have received the letter from CCFC and, while we might take issue with some of the statements made within, we sincerely appreciate their expressed concerns," Vance said. "Our ratings are intended to provide guidance that allows parents to choose games they deem suitable for their children, and that is a responsibility we take extremely seriously."

Manhunt 2 is currently slated for a July 10 release on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Wii.
DetroitSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Does anyone else think this is just to build hype for the game?
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

According to CVG, the British Board of Film Classification have refused to issue an age rating for this game, meaning it cannot be officially released in the UK.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

There is actually a "Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood"?????
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
DetroitSportsFan
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
Does anyone else think this is just to build hype for the game?
Unless Rockstar paid off the ESRB to give Manhunt the AO rating, which means almost no stores will carry it, I would say no.
DetroitSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Unless Rockstar paid off the ESRB to give Manhunt the AO rating, which means almost no stores will carry it, I would say no.
kinda hard to build hype if ya can't play it
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

This is the first game to be banned in Ireland too.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #8
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

I imagine this will be reworked to get a different rating. To the best of my knowledge neither Sony or Nintendo will license an A.O. title. Since the game is only slated to be released on the PS2 and Wii, who knows if either company will bend their policy?
Spatial.Archite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

And, as was basically assumed, Manhunt 2 is officially delayed. I assume they'll have to rework the title... a rating of A.O. isn't a ban, but it might as well be. Their main option would be as a PC title (if they don't rework the game), even then most big-box retailers won't carry it. I'd have to assume they'll rework it to get an M rating so it can be released on the Wii and PS2.

It does make me wonder if the interactive nature of the Wii plays some part in the ESRB's decision? Perhaps they perceive it as it's one thing to hit a button and stab someone, but to actually make the gesture is something completely different?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Spatial.Archite
U talkin' to me?

I hate to post again, but I'd just like to point out how much I despise this entire situation regarding Adults Only games. What's the point of having the rating if Nintendo and Sony refuse to allow it on their systems, and major retailers refuse to carry the game? Most likely Microsoft wouldn't allow an Adult's Only game on their system (as I believe GTA: San Andreas is the only console game ever to have an A.O. rating, and it happened long after release).

So a company can release an A.O. game... that can't be played on a console or sold in most stores? It completely defeats the purpose of a rating system in general.