Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #26901
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Natural Born Killers (1994) (Directors Cut) - One of the most visually striking movies I've seen, I really liked the different effects and styles they used, and the cuts of animation throughout the movie, I thought it was really creative. I know the subject matter isn't for everyone, and it appears to be one of those love it or hate it type of movies, but I really liked it. I've always liked Woody Harrelson (pretty much because he was on Cheers, and I love that show tremendously) but he really got to show his acting chops in this movie, I didnt realise the depth he actually has as an actor. It seemed like he could flick a switch and go from eerily calm, to absolutely psychotic in a moment, but there was always so much going on behind his eyes, I could sense all this range of emotions just by looking at his eyes, I gained a lot of respect for him as an actor after this role. Also stars a young Robert Downey JR as an Australian reporter, Rodney Dangerfield, Tommy Lee Jones, Tom Sizemore and of course Juliette Lewis as the other half of the murderous couple - 9.5/10

Zodiac (2007) (Directors Cut) - This movie stars a pre-Hulk Mark Ruffalo, a pre-Iron Man Robert Downey JR, and a Pre-Mysterio Jake Gyllenhal (it was neat seeing the 3 of them together in this one considering they'd all be comic movie actors later) The movie is about the real life Zodiac killings from the 60's and 70's in California. Director David Fincher only portrayed the murders in the movie where there was a survivor because he wanted it to be accurate, so he got the real life accounts from the survivors and told the story that way, any murders with no survivors were not depicted as he felt there was no way for it to be truthful and he wanted to be respectful to the victims. The showing of the crimes is only a small part of the movie though, after that it evolves mostly into the investigation of the murders and tracking of clues etc but what they did show of the crimes was very well done. It was a bit slow at times, as is the nature of this kind of movie, but it held my attention constantly throughout and was really interesting - 8/10

Dark Blue (2002) - Been meaning to watch this one for a while, it was brought up by someone here a while ago. Another KURT RUSSELL movie! lol can't get enough of those. I saved this one to watch with my parents as they like the cop drama type movies more than me, but this one was interesting to me because it wasn't about proper cops, it was about corrupt cops, corruption from every level of the police force (think Training Day) so it was really entertaining to see Kurt play a not so nice guy in one of his best dramatic performances. I like how the movie didn't try to over complicate things, the story was pretty straightforward but very effective. Also stars Ving Rhames as the only person trying to do the right thing, Scott Speedman as Kurts new rookie partner who the audience uses as the viewers 'eyes' into what its like entering the world of corruption and lies, and Jonathan Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad) I ended up enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, it was nice to see Kurt in an unusual role like this - 7.5/10

American History X (1998) - what a powerful movie this is, just as relevant today as it was when it was released. I couldn't even believe Ed Norton in this role, some of the best acting i've ever seen, he was genuinely *terrifying* in this movie, if I saw him in a dark alley i'd run for my life, hes just personified hate and rage in every stare, every word, every action. The movie really shows both sides of the coin when it comes to racism, it shows how its cyclical, but it also shows that people have the power to break the cycle and redeem themselves, but it also reminds that tragically that does not always heal all wounds. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it, its extremely, extremely heavy, but it has a powerful message and should be seen. Also stars Edward Furlong as Norton's brother, in one of his best performances, Beverly D'Angelo as the understandably strung out mom, and Fairuza Balk as Norton's very extreme girlfriend - 10/10

We Summon the Darkness (2019) - this is a horror movie starring the beautiful Alexandra Daddario, it was nice to finally see her get a role she could really sink her teeth into and she definitely did. Its hard to explain the movie without giving away spoilers but its pretty much a murder gone wrong type of story. It was clear it was fairly low budget, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, had some entertaining moments and was never slow. Also stars Johnny Knoxville as a psycho pastor lol - 6/10

Opera (1987) - this was quite a change for Dario, this movie doesn't have many of the usual things hes known for (use of color, stylistic shots) instead it seemed like he was trying to focus on a coherent story, which I felt worked, it was a nice change of pace and mixed things up from his usual works. One of his trademarks that didn't change was the intensity of the murder scenes, in fact they were a bit more savage than usual in this movie, and the blood/gore effects were some of the best I've seen from any of his movies, a couple parts made me cringe and that doesn't happen often - 8.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 AM   #26902
spriggan
The Spirit

The tax collector. 7/10
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #26903
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

The Confessional 2/10

I probably shouldn't even rate it as I couldn't get through it. It is on Shudder for some reason even though it has no scary or horror factor at all and is just awful.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #26904
Barbarian
Jedi Order

The Outsiders - 10/10
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #26905
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
The Outsiders - 10/10
Such a great classic. Unbelievable ensemble cast. Been a while since I’ve seen it too. Will have to revisit this soon. “Stay Gold Ponyboy”
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #26906
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Such a great classic. Unbelievable ensemble cast. Been a while since I’ve seen it too. Will have to revisit this soon. “Stay Gold Ponyboy”
Truly, my brother. I've seen this flick so many times and never realized one of my favorite dudes ever was in it with all the other stars. Tom Waits was in there for a few seconds and had 2 or 3 lines.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:38 AM   #26907
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

6Underground - 7/10 - It's mindless but fun and that's all it's really meant to be.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #26908
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Oh yeah, one of my all time favorites.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #26909
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
The Outsiders - 10/10
10/10 all the way.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #26910
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Color out of Space (2010) - Definite slow burn movie, but from what I understand this is the most faithful adaptation of the original story by H.P.Lovecraft, and overall one of the most faithful adaptations of any of his works translated to film. This is a black and white German film, the only use of color was to show the color out of space when it was present, so that was a neat contrast. It was a slow moving movie but the payoff at the end was worth the wait - 8/10

The Color out of Space (2019) - From what I read this movie took a few more liberties with the original story, mostly just minor things like gender of the kids and such, but was faithful overall to the story. They did a great job with the use of the 'color' and weren't afraid to show it a generous amount in the movie. Normally I'm not a Nicholas Cage fan but I felt he was really good in this, he is a great match for Lovecraft type craziness cause he seems pretty crazy himself lol there was some questionable CGI in some areas, but when it came to the actual color itself and how they used it the effects were great. Very weird, very captivating and very stylish, lots of the monster effects you would expect from a Lovecraft movie, and although there were a couple parts that used CGI where I felt they shouldn't have, they had plenty of practical effects thankfully, a Lovecraft movie without practical effects would be dead on arrival in my opinion, CGI should always take a back seat - 9/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote