Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #61
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchunleo View Post
sorry i am first time in sculpting and would like to know more about purchasing oven to bake the sculpey. Sorry if it has answered some where hidden in the threads of discussion..

my question what should i look for in purchasing oven for baking the clay? i am looking into small oven, is it fine? what the temperature range should i be looking at? or the minimum volume?

i am intending to get a used toaster oven as would not be using for cooking and poison myself...haha...

not looking for perfect answer but to get some sensing...thank you
just buy the cheapo oven toaster. It's more that enough to do the job. Just make sure your piece can fit right in. If your sculpt is large scale, obviously you need to bake it in pieces.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #62
srallives
Artist
Artist

I see a lot of you guys asking about super sculpey being toxic. Can you bake sculpts in the same oven that you cook in. Obviously not at the same time though
srallives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #63
The Last Ronin
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srallives View Post
I see a lot of you guys asking about super sculpey being toxic. Can you bake sculpts in the same oven that you cook in. Obviously not at the same time though
Yes you can but Sculpey does release chemicals which are known to irritate skin. Many of us who've used it for years get itchy hands after prolonged use.
I put my sculpts in oven roasting bags to bake them. They're clear plastic bags that don't melt and will contain the chemicals. You can find them in the grocery store.
The Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #64
NewBraunfelsSculptor
Sculptor
Sculptor

I bake everything I've ever made in sculpey at 225 degrees for an hour.... I've been using this stuff for over thirty years
NewBraunfelsSculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:53 AM   #65
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I bake mine in my kitchen oven, there is a slight toasty smell but as long as you don't burn it, I think it's fine
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote