Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
projectjordan
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Returning to an old piece

Hi All

I don't get to sculpt as regularly as i'd like, and in some cases this can mean months away from an already started piece.

I currently have a piece in started in sculpey firm, last night i attempted to continue with it, but found, as expected, the existing piece had 'dried out'.

As a result when adding softer/fresher SF, I found that in some cases the new clay wouldnt stick, I added a little turpenoid to the older clay, this did seem to help, but found that blending in was still difficult. and the newer clay seemed to drag.

What is the recommended storage method? Do i need to occasionally apply turpenoid or similar to the piece while not in use?

The piece is bagged/covered between sittings.

thanks

Ryan

(I have tried the search option, found plenty of guides on reconditioning older 'unused' clay)
projectjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I'd bag it a few times (not just cover it but try and seal it if you're leaving it for a long time).

Tbh though even if you completely seal something off it eventually seems to dry out. I had some sculpey firm as well in it's original boxes, inside a sealed plastic box and the stuff dried out to the point of no return as I hadn't used it in over a year.

If you're thinking of leaving something for long periods you could always get the piece to a point that you're happy with it and then heat gun it to cure the surface. Then when you come back you can add more clay. You can just add a vaseline or maybe turpenoid to help the new clay grab.

Good luck.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
projectjordan
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

thanks
projectjordan is offline   Reply With Quote