Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 10-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
AridCat
Doh!

Help with a super sculpey project?

Hi a friend suggested I post here for some help, all the pages I find on google are for american jewellery makers. But I'm a total sculpting newbie living in the UK so a lot of the supplies they use I cant get.

But I wanted to know, if parts of my sculpt (I'm making a dragon) are under 6mm thick how long and hot should I make the oven? its a gasmark oven. The sculpey is put over a tinfoil, wire, masking tape armature.

Are citadel acrylic paints usually used on my boyfriends war hammer OK to use to paint sculpey once its baked, or do I need a varnish sealer or a different sort of acrylic, I know some acrylics just chip or peel right off??

What sort of sealer/varnish should I use that i can get in the UK (if I need it at all) because a lot of the jewellery sites say dont use at all because it goes sticky and ruins the sculpey.

And any other tips any of you might have that would be useful, are greatly appreciated!
AridCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

I don’t use an oven, I like using a heat gun. I can control the heat coverage better. I keep the end of the gun about 6 inches away from the surface of the sculpt and move it around in a circular pattern. Initially, I keep the heat on until I see the sculpey loose it’s shine then move on to the other parts, when the whole thing has lost its shine I start back at the first area and keep the heat on it for about 2 or 3 minutes and keep going back and forth until I’m satisfied with how much heat it’s had. If it’s “squishy” when I lightly squeeze it, it’s not set completely. It will give a little because of the plasticizer in it but you’ll be able to tell the difference.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
AridCat
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I don’t use an oven, I like using a heat gun. I can control the heat coverage better. I keep the end of the gun about 6 inches away from the surface of the sculpt and move it around in a circular pattern. Initially, I keep the heat on until I see the sculpey loose it’s shine then move on to the other parts, when the whole thing has lost its shine I start back at the first area and keep the heat on it for about 2 or 3 minutes and keep going back and forth until I’m satisfied with how much heat it’s had. If it’s “squishy” when I lightly squeeze it, it’s not set completely. It will give a little because of the plasticizer in it but you’ll be able to tell the difference.
Thank you, we have a heat gun used to take paint off some chairs we reclaimed last year, so I will certainly try this out with the dragon! :3
Old 10-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Mister H
Green Goblin

If you haven’t tried it before then do some test runs first. Post some pics of your dragon when he’s done.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
AridCat
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
If you haven’t tried it before then do some test runs first. Post some pics of your dragon when he’s done.
My boyfriends dad said to beware of uneven baking with the heat gun? but we tested it on some smaller bits and it does work on them pretty well, The dragon is bigger though.

Here is a wip of my dragon boy so far, I need to finish his other wing before I can use the gun on him :3 Also pushing on his back to sort the wings has bent his front legs support wire but I can fix that easy enough XD