Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #2911
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Entire season was terrible. The two big buildups, Night King, and Cersei battles, ended so quick. Should have each been a season.

The worst was last nights episode. So many bad decisions and character developments just flushed down the toilet. What a waste.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #2912
Mister H
Gen 13

Was looking forward to watching all the seasons again. Not sure now if I want to or not.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #2913
Mean Green
Fantomah

I think we're all victims of how George RR Martin set us up for shock and heartbreak since Season 1 (which is why the show was so great). It was "realistic" in the sense that just because we fell in love with a character, it doesn't mean it turns out well for them.

I agree, these last two seasons definitely seemed rushed and I think it really contrasts Martin's genius with Benioff and Weiss's (two very smart men I'm sure) mediocrity, when put side by side. Adapting the books to screen successfully had to take a lot of skill but it all fell downhill (for me) after there were no books to guide them. And to clarify, I'm not one of the book snobs either as I've never read the books.

With that said, most of us cheered for the Starks and 4 out of 6 of them had a typical happy ending. I didn't hate it, but the series prepared me for something more "realistic". Daenerys consumed by power and becoming the dictator/tyrant she vowed to rid the world of once she had a taste of it would've been a more realistic ending.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #2914
Augen
Metal Men

On the Unsullied I'm not sure what was funnier. The fact they seemingly respawned in greater numbers than before the battle of Winterfell. Or the fact they are all going to Naath to die brutally with butterfly fever.

Anyways...

Let's think about the concept of having a Kingsmoot now to rule the 6 kingdoms (soon to be 5 when Dorne leaves).

So either this is a dark ending with the Three Eyed Crow using a nigh immortal Bran to sow discord leaving the realm vulnerable so "Valar Morghulis" can come to past.

Or it is just a messy ending that will revert the realm back to the days before Aegon of constant warfare and battles for power and succession. Just because everyone was reasonable once do we really think future generations will hold this sort of process peacefully?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #2915
Mister H
Gen 13

Maybe I should just read the books instead of watching the series again.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #2916
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I always believed the Three Eyed Raven has no interest in meddling in the realms of mortal men. Nothing leading up to this had made it seem the King of Six Realms was his intent. That turn and the pointless of making Jon a Targaryen bother me...a lot.

I hope GRRM told HBO some halfassed ending so the books will be so much better.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #2917
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Maybe I should just read the books instead of watching the series again.
I will say that watching the series again was pure joy. It’s really a master craft show up until Season 7. Maybe 7.5 bc while it felt rushed it felt complete and to have purpose. It’s this trashy season that mucked it all up.

Whereas in contrast, I can’t stomach reading Books 4 and 5 again. Martin just seemed to be writing just to write. Books 1-3 were great. My husband has reread all the books twice, but does not watch the show. So I suffered this final season alone
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #2918
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
I'm guessing she was taken back to Greyworm...how else did they know Snow stabbed her? Did he rat his own self out? He could have just said he found her Dead, or she left with the dragon..there was no witness.
Plot hole or bad story writing...hmmm I smell both.
To me season 8 was a total letdown. Except for Arya.

Also no one mentioned Snow was the rightful heir at the council meeting? 5 people knew the truth..that wouldn't have helped his case? Just odd.
Jon Snow being the honest fool that he is, I bet confessed to everyone immediately.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #2919
nearmint
Phoenix

Seems like Varys writing those letters about Jon's true identity is another dangling thread.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #2920
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

It seems the writers did their best to make every character so unlikable (and often so contrary to their nature, as established over the first 7 seasons) that no one would care what happened to any of them, therefore relieving the need to have meaningful and well thought out endings for the majority of them.

My wife and I have always enjoyed watching the show, but aren't nearly as invested as it seems many people are. I've never considered it to be much more than modern day Shakespearean schlock. For those who say the books are better, that's great, I've never read them and don't plan to. Frankly, I'm pretty sure GRRM didn't have any idea how to end things himself, hence the mysterious delay in completing the books. Now that he knows what people like or dislike from the tv show, I'm sure he'll write something that people think is genius because it's all the good with none of the bad...
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote