Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Very nice mate . . . a slight bamboo-ish asian feel which compliments the print nicely.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Looks great!!! The frame is a perfect match for the print! Love it!!
How much did that run you?

I was searching around for info on framing and came across this site. It had some good info on protecting your posters. So, I though I'd share.Hollywood
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #23
MagnumOpus
A day without sunshine is like... night.

MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #24
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
Looks great!!! The frame is a perfect match for the print! Love it!!
How much did that run you?
Same price as the print basically. Yeah quality framing is NOT cheap.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #25
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wow, congrats Scott! Very nice framing job.
You just made me want this poster that much more. I actually made an offer on one that ended with no bids on ebay, but I haven't heard back from the seller.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #26
Luminous
Cyclops

Excellent choice on both the frame and matting, Scott. I have seen a few different frames for Kill Bill with an Asian or bamboo design to the frame, and I must say I think yours turned out the best. A very nice combination of subtlety and design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
I was searching around for info on framing and came across this site. It had some good info on protecting your posters. So, I though I'd share.Hollywood
That site is one of the first choices I came across when I first started looking into framing. While they are definitely a lot more affordable, they do have some down sides when considering framing screen printed prints.

The first glaring problem I see with that company is that they don't offer spacers or matting (site says custom matting is available upon special request). One or the other is needed to keep the print off of the glass. Over time the paint on a screen printed poster that is constantly touching the glass can rub off on that surface. Speaking of glass, they frame everything in plexiglass. While it is lighter and sometimes cheaper, plexi often develops a slight haze, collects dust and dirt easily, and is very prone to scratching and scuffing. Frames are also extremely limited and they appear to only offer metal.

If these weren't screen prints that used high quality inks and paints then I would have no hesitation using that company. Their acid free materials are still nice for single sheet and double sided movie posters.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Excellent choice on both the frame and matting, Scott. I have seen a few different frames for Kill Bill with an Asian or bamboo design to the frame, and I must say I think yours turned out the best. A very nice combination of subtlety and design.

That site is one of the first choices I came across when I first started looking into framing. While they are definitely a lot more affordable, they do have some down sides when considering framing screen printed prints.

The first glaring problem I see with that company is that they don't offer spacers or matting (site says custom matting is available upon special request). One or the other is needed to keep the print off of the glass. Over time the paint on a screen printed poster that is constantly touching the glass can rub off on that surface. Speaking of glass, they frame everything in plexiglass. While it is lighter and sometimes cheaper, plexi often develops a slight haze, collects dust and dirt easily, and is very prone to scratching and scuffing. Frames are also extremely limited and they appear to only offer metal.

If these weren't screen prints that used high quality inks and paints then I would have no hesitation using that company. Their acid free materials are still nice for single sheet and double sided movie posters.
You are a wealth of info mate . . . I think I may just sub-contract you do organise all of my framing Thanks again
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #28
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
You are a wealth of info mate . . . I think I may just sub-contract you do organise all of my framing Thanks again
Heh, I only learned all of this in the past couple of months; while I was researching the possibilities for my own framing. Bear in mind that I am no expert, I am merely passing along what I have learned. A lot about custom framing also reflects personal taste. While one person may hold one technique in high regard, another will come in and tell the other person how "wrong" they are. I think the use of plexi is one such debate.

If you ever have questions don't hesitate to ask. I have spoken to a few different framers from different areas about many of these subjects, and I can easily pass along the information that was passed to me.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #29
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Heh, I only learned all of this in the past couple of months; while I was researching the possibilities for my own framing. Bear in mind that I am no expert, I am merely passing along what I have learned. A lot about custom framing also reflects personal taste. While one person may hold one technique in high regard, another will come in and tell the other person how "wrong" they are. I think the use of plexi is one such debate.

If you ever have questions don't hesitate to ask. I have spoken to a few different framers from different areas about many of these subjects, and I can easily pass along the information that was passed to me.
Cheers Ronald . . . I may just do that
Old 11-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #30
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Wow, congrats Scott! Very nice framing job.
You just made me want this poster that much more. I actually made an offer on one that ended with no bids on ebay, but I haven't heard back from the seller.
Thanks Tony and good luck on your offer, hope it pans out.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Ronald. I spent a lot of time deciding exactly what look I wanted, looked at as many different ideas in forums as I could and toyed with a lot of different options both online and at the framers. Almost went with some red in the matting but ultimately felt it was a bit much and pulled attention away from the red in the print itself. Even after getting it back from the framers I wasn't 100% sure I made the right decision leaving the red out but the more I look at it the more I like it and feel I made the right choice to favor subtlety.

Framing is a much more involved and challenging process than I expected, but it's very fun and allows one to put a personal touch on the artwork. Can't wait to plan out my Blade Runner print.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote