Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
randy bowen
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
Which is prefered for newbies sculptor?

Also, which is prefered, Magic sculpt or Apoxie sculpt?

Thanks

Super Sculpey (grey)

Magic sculpt : especially for areas that cannot be baked or rebaked.
randy bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Malumsonitas
Doh!

I have also heard that you can use Apoxie Sculpt first to act as an armature or bulk out the figure and then use super sculpey or a mixture of the sculpeys to add details ,like muscles... pretty much the flesh. correct me if im wrong i have never used this combination. i have only used only wire armature and aluminum foil
Malumsonitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
unbounddreams
I am da law!

My opinion:

Super Sculpey is great for beginners. It may be a bit soft for those who have firm hands in which then I recommend Super Sculpey Firm. I use both. Sometimes mix and match. You endless things with these including baking a whole piece or baking in layers or baking the body and adding super sculpey with a dab of vaseline(this does wonders to stick the sculpey onto anything baked) and proceed with a heat gun. More experience and time recommended for that process.

Apoxie Sculpt is really nice. I use to use this as well. It is good for the armature and for detail work to put on top or to do a quick sculpt or a sculpt that you want to let cure and sand and add more and repeat.

Magic Sculpt I currently use in conjunction with the sculpey products or by itself is awesome. I personally find it a bit smoother and a little less grainy then Apoxie Sculpt.

Now keep in mind that if you use Apoxie/Magic Sculpt for amature that it will make your sculpt much stronger but it comes with the price of weight. If you have a sculpture that is very dynamic and not balanced you will need more weight on the bottom. But as you gain experience you will learn to balance the sculpture so no matter the weight and material you can find a way for it to hold its own. The armature is just as improtant as the detail process because it can determine how much time you will spend on your sculpture and sometimes the amount of material needed for the project.

I hope that helps.

-Jon
unbounddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Danaedhel
Doh!

so you can make an aves apoxie armature, then cover it with super sculpey and bake without problem?
Danaedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #15
Alphaduce
Kindly Asked To Leave

primal wrote -
"Ive been using the $10 box of Super Sculpey..."

there aint no way id pay that much for it, check it out here for $7.48 for a lb. plus S&H-
http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/17/
it is a respectable art store

the grey super sculpey firm is a little bit more-
$9.91 for a lb.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/73/
Alphaduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 AM   #16
Alphaduce
Kindly Asked To Leave

PS: some people say that super sculpey is too soft.

all you have to do is a little technique called wicking
put flat sheets of super sculpey on a top of several sheets of paper, coardboard. let set. repeat until it is the way you want it to be. dont go overboard with it because the polymer clay needs some of the oils inside to cure properly while baking. but as long as you dont go too far it is a good way to make it firmer without payin the extra price for super sculpey firm.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Alphaduce
Kindly Asked To Leave

Danaedhel wrote:
so you can make an aves apoxie armature, then cover it with super sculpey and bake without problem?
yes no problems
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
ecastellop
Doh!

Hi,
I have used Magic Sculpt but never used Super Sculpey.
Magic Sculpt is good and is more flexible than Milliput(another epoxy putty),so for some things is better because not break so easily when you do small things like belts,and small details.Maybe when is ready for work,the time is too short for beginers.

Someone who tried Super Sculpey Firm can tell me if is similar than work with Chavant NSP Plastiline?

*I like Chavant medium but you must always make molds if you want to keep it
ecastellop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaduce View Post
primal wrote -
"Ive been using the $10 box of Super Sculpey..."

there aint no way id pay that much for it, check it out here for $7.48 for a lb. plus S&H-
http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/17/
it is a respectable art store

the grey super sculpey firm is a little bit more-
$9.91 for a lb.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/73/
Yes, Dickblick is very good, I have used them for many purchases! They often have sales too, and shipping is reasonable.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Apoxie/Magic/Sculpey

I would not use Apoxie or Magic AS an armature...use armature wire then use the epoxies to glue the places where the armature wire joins...this makes for a very durable armature. You might put a thin layer of one of the epoxies over the entire armature to give the Sculpey something to grab onto so don't smooth it too much Sculpey has a tendency to push off/through armatures that are smooth.
Apoxie/Magic can be smoothed with cool water
Alcohol can be used on SS but may leave little balls everywhere...Mineral, baby or vegetable oil work much better for smoothing though IMHO

Be aware though that when baking SS it does shrink a bit so new layers on old layers may have a tendency to crack some...usually at major intersections where two lumps of clay may have been joined and not kneaded thoroughly.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote