Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
jimi311
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Anyone not disapointed with DK2

I just reread the first Dark Knight and now I am reading DK2 and I am really enjoying it more the 3rd and 4th time around.
jimi311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

I'm not disappointed.

Mainly because I haven't read it yet. Honestly I've heard such bad things about it I wonder if it can possibly be as bad as I imagine.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I'm not disappointed.

Mainly because I haven't read it yet. Honestly I've heard such bad things about it I wonder if it can possibly be as bad as I imagine.
This is key, I think. If you go into it thinking "wow, this is going to suck mightily", I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yeah, some of it will be noticably bad, but all in all, not a complete loss.

But if you were to go into it as most fans did, when it first came out, and expectations were sky-high, and then not only was it crappy and sub-par compared to the first series, but took forever to finish up (the last issue was what...6-9 months late?). Yeah, in perspective, you might hate it.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
jimi311
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah the wait between issues sucked but when I read the trade it flows very well and is great. No where near the darkness and depth that the first one has but then what does. I highly recommend it!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
whd
Suicide Squad

Well the first series reintroduced Batman as grim and gritty, which was revolutionary at the time. The second series tried to go in the exact opposite direction by telling a fun superhero story. I enjoyed the second series, but I wasn't blown away by it, like the original series did. The only real disappointments I had was with the lateness and the coloring.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Elements of the story are great:

Ray Palmer, thinking he's on some alien world fighting for his life, when in fact he's been in a petri dish the whole time. one of the most inspired ideas in comics if you ask me.

Barry Allen being used by Lex and Brainiac to power the whole city.

The Kandor element in taking down Brainiac.

BUT there are absolutely woeful parts:

Superman's playing Government patsy to Lex Luthor, then flip-flopping and deciding all along that batman's hardline tactics were correct all along. Ok Miller, we know you despise Superman, but if you really hate him, leave himalone. there's no neded to compromise the integrity of the character everytime you can get your hands on him.

Catgirl on rollerblades- WTF!

Constant popculture news reports- they worked in DKR, but to saturate the story with them like he does in DK2 means the reports have more substance than what they are reporting on.

Flash's Costume!

Last but not least- Frank Miller's pop psychology attempt at putting a pseudo communist message accross. "Batman fights the world" Give me a break. he might as well have put a hammer and sickle on his suit. As much as I love the character, Batman operates on the street level, he is not the saviour of the world.

Although as a sequel to DKR it sucks, if Frank Miller hadn't have marketed it as a sequel, it probably would've done a lot better. It's so different to DKR it detracts from the story.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
jimi311

I completely agree about the social comentary being unnessecary. I did how ever not mind the superman idea and I believe that the turning point of his opinion, which was the introduction of his daughter, was good enough to change his view.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
BUT there are absolutely woeful parts:

Superman's playing Government patsy to Lex Luthor, then flip-flopping and deciding all along that batman's hardline tactics were correct all along. Ok Miller, we know you despise Superman, but if you really hate him, leave himalone. there's no neded to compromise the integrity of the character everytime you can get your hands on him.
Supposedly Miller is a big Superman fan, but it doesn't show in his writing.
Quote:
Catgirl on rollerblades- WTF!
It worked for Miho, but it was too redundant using them on Catgirl also.
Quote:
Flash's Costume!
I liked the black and yellow suit, myself. Although, I wasn't happy with it at first glance, it grew on me.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
Supposedly Miller is a big Superman fan, but it doesn't show in his writing.
He could've fooled me, he uses Supes as a whipping boy every chance he gets.

Quote:
It worked for Miho, but it was too redundant using them on Catgirl also.
Definitely! He reuses ideas too much for my liking, not exactly the hall mark of a great writer.

Quote:
I liked the black and yellow suit, myself. Although, I wasn't happy with it at first glance, it grew on me.
It's the little hotpant style things that don't really do it for me
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Elements of the story are great:

Ray Palmer, thinking he's on some alien world fighting for his life, when in fact he's been in a petri dish the whole time. one of the most inspired ideas in comics if you ask me.
An excellent sequence! As it happened at the beginning of the first book, I had high hopes, but those were quickly dashed. Oh well, I'll always have that one scene...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote