Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 08-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #21
JohnMatrix
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateel View Post
Maybe a silly question dude, if getting/renewing the Marvel licence is so problematic, why doesn't Bowen try to get the DC licence instead?
I also hope for Bowen to get a DC license, but from what it sounds, it seems that Bowen is getting ready to retire and starting a new DC FS line will be a totally different direction for him.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
But aren't those licenses just for the movies? Kotobukiya churns out X-Men statues regularly.

To contribute to the thread, I think Bowen is still negotiating a deal with Marvel where he could still turn a profit. Marvel licensing is probably at an all time high with its films' popularity right now.

Or Marvel is forcing Bowen to put out movie versions of the characters.
XM just confirmed that their Jean Grey was put on hold for this very reason. Tons of industry rumors that the Xmen and FF are going to be almost non existent in merchandising ventures until things are sorted. This is a very new dynamic which may explain Koto's Marvel offerings at moment.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
XM just confirmed that their Jean Grey was put on hold for this very reason. Tons of industry rumors that the Xmen and FF are going to be almost non existent in merchandising ventures until things are sorted. This is a very new dynamic which may explain Koto's Marvel offerings at moment.

Disney's hardball take-no-prisoners approach is going to have rippling effects on the industry on both the fan and business sides to things. Sometimes you have to tear things down to build things up properly. Once Disney regains control of its properties, the industry will benefit overall. Too many movie chiefs right now. Disney doesn't want the lesser movie companies to cash in on their success by fooling movie-goers into thinking the creative movie-minds behind the Avengers are the same as those behind the upcoming FF film, which most fans-in-the-know suspect will bomb.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Disney's hardball take-no-prisoners approach is having rippling effects in the industry on both the fan and business sides to things. Sometimes you have to tear things down to build things properly. Once Disney regains control of its properties, the industry will benefit. Too many chiefs right now.
Do you mean in regards to the film or collectables industry? Looks to me that their focus is strictly on 2/3 film franchises they don't control or market.

The way I see it if Disney had the Xmen and Spider-man film rights would we would not have gotten Guardians of the Galaxy or the development of Dr.Strange. Heck I would argue that the Avengers got a shot only in the absence of the more popular brands (at the time).
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Do you mean in regards to the film or collectables industry? Looks to me that their focus is strictly on 2/3 film franchises they don't control or market.

The way I see it if Disney had the Xmen and Spider-man film rights would we would not have gotten Guardians of the Galaxy or the development of Dr.Strange. Heck I would argue that the Avengers got a shot only in the absence of the more popular brands (at the time).

You're probably right. However, now that the genie's out of the bottle, Disney feels more confident as ever in tackling virtually any Marvel title no matter how obscure.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #26
slickrick
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I always wondered just how big in scale the statue industry is relative to the collectible market as a whole? When a piece has an addition size of 2000, I'm thinking there are probably a 1000 fans who are actually going to buy it. Whenever I'm at a convention, or comic store, I never see anyone who seems like they're into buying statues,or know about them or even care for them.

Regarding the original post, I thought maybe statue sales are down, and only us fans are the ones buying them, including the online retailers who buy them in bulk, which leads to them selling out. And if the costs are in fact higher in the negotiations, it doesn't seem like a long term profitable business move. Personally speaking, once a handful of characters are released, I don't see myself buying 20+ statues in the future ... IDK, It seems like we're all working adults who can kinda afford them, I hope Bowen does continue and make them, and more affordable for the upcoming generation of young adults to buy.
slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #27
iammingy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Marvel probably want each company to go in specific directions. Other than the size of the statues, Sideshow, Koto, and XM all have pretty different design languages in my opinion.
iammingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrick View Post
I always wondered just how big in scale the statue industry is relative to the collectible market as a whole? When a piece has an addition size of 2000, I'm thinking there are probably a 1000 fans who are actually going to buy it. Whenever I'm at a convention, or comic store, I never see anyone who seems like they're into buying statues,or know about them
or even care for them.

I would think that statue sales barely make a blip on the radar, but they do make a blip. It's not in the same league as pajamas or school supply products, for example.

As for cons, who wants to lug around a statue box all day long? If I was going to buy a statue at a con (which I have), I'll pay in advance and then pick it up once I decide to head home. Dealers are typically cool about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrick View Post

Regarding the original post, I thought maybe statue sales are down, and only us fans are the ones buying them, including the online retailers who buy them in bulk, which leads to them selling out. And if the costs are in fact higher in the negotiations, it doesn't seem like a long term profitable business move. Personally speaking, once a handful of characters are released, I don't see myself buying 20+ statues in the future ... IDK, It seems like we're all working adults who can kinda afford them, I hope Bowen does continue and make them, and more affordable for the upcoming generation of young adults to buy.
Sales don't appear to be significantly down in general in the industry as a whole, just more competitive and spread out between companies and different products. For example, instead of selling 2000 Kraven pieces, 1000 of this, 500 of that, and 500 of that will sell, if you get my meaning. Unlike the late 90s and early 2000s, the Bowen brand now has to compete with other companies, some of whom people believe produce a far superior product. Some would argue that there's a stagnation to the Bowen brand too which has likely impacted its rise in numbers and ability to draw many new clients. However, Bowen does have a very loyal fan-base who appear to be in it for the long haul. I doubt there's a more loyal fan base than the Bowen hard-liners.

As for "only seeing myself buying 20 statues" comment. That's fine. If you feel like you're getting less out of it and that it's become more a habit than a pleasurable and rewarding hobby, then perhaps it's time to rethink your time and investment. We can't like everything forever, right? I've been buying statues for 20 years. I've had numerous different displays of the same characters. However, not everybody has it in them to buy and sell then buy again. They just want to buy one Spiderman and be done with it. Thing is, the hobby evolves over time. When Sideshow previewed the Spiderman comiquette, the Bowen phase 1 museum Spiderman statue, for example, became expendable. I believe I displayed 10 different Spiderman statues over the past 20 years. I sold the other nine. The funds amassed from those were used to subsidize newer product.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #29
neomatrix99
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Bowen is probably not the problem, because he is probably just asking for what he has asked for the last so many years. I am sure it is Disney who wants something new or something more.
neomatrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

We always tend to look at it from our point of view. Try looking at it from the Bowen side (I have no special insight - just from what I remember from different articles and Randy posts)

1) Bowen is a Mom & Pop shop - once they shut the line down for any reason, it is down time. It takes a lot of time and effort to prime the machine again. May as well enjoy some vacation and spent some time with the family. There is no rush to get a deal done if it is not the right deal.

2) DC really doesn't do licenses. They do most of their stuff in-house.

3) Randy did not set out to build a sculpting empire. He loves his art for the sake or art and loves the characters he deals with (for the most part ie. Cable). The business has evolved. So when he negotiates a contract, he wants to keep to his vision for his own happiness. Sideshow, etc, are a business first and a creative company second. Their prices are where they are at for a reason and I don't collect their pieces because of their price breakpoints.

4) Disney is . . . Disney.

But if the goal is to speculate on a contract negotiation that none of us have any details or real knowledge about the issues, I may as well jump in. The real reason there is no contract yet is Randy is holding out until Disney let him put out a Howard the Duck. WITH a Mother-^%&$& CIGAR!

madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote