Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 05-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #431
MegatronG1
The X-Men

Every franchise needs a break, sometimes indefinite, as is the case for Capcom, riding out decades old names, no good ideas, but the shiny coats of paint still fascinate people.

Entirely different companies made SF2+3 and 6. What do the games even have in common? Because of brand power, people roll with the punches even if they're all landing on their faces.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #432
No1
The Avengers

If we see the most selling franchises, the problem looks that Street Fighter 5 killed the sellings

1 Mortal Kombat - 79 million
2 Super Smash Bros. - 71.74 million
3 Dragon Ball (fighting games) - 54.7 million
4 Tekken - 54.5 million
5 Street Fighter - 49 million

About 10 years ago SF was the first one on this list with the sucess of SF4, but SF5 was another flop (like SF3), MK and Smash exploded the numbers, Tekken was not so well but still better then SF.
Last 10 years best selling games:

Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 30.44 million
Super Smash Bros - 15.02 million
Mortal Kombat 11 - 15 million
Mortal Kombat X - 12 million
Tekken 7 - 10 million
Dragon Ball FighterZ - 10 million
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - 10 million
Street Fighter V - 7 million

I really hate SF5 since the beggining, and now with the new game, let's look what will come, I wanted this franchise go to something like Dragon Ball graphics, something that looks like anime, how it was in the beggining until SF3, and not this ultra realistic ridiculous look, this is not Tekken, but wathever, for me SF is kind of dead.
No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:13 PM   #433
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1 View Post
Interesting to see the evolution of the numbers of fighters:

SF1 - 12
SF2 - 17 (until 2 turbo)
SF0 - 34 (until Alpha 3)
SF3 - 20
SF4 - 44
SF5 - 46
SF6 - 18 + 5 seasons with 6 fighters? = 48

We can see how much SF3 was a flop, only 20 fighters and almost 10 years of gap until the next one.
I don't think the number of characters in SFIII was related in any way to it's quality, or the reason why it was unsuccessful financially.

And btw, the first season of SF6 DLC is only four characters. So if that's anything to go by, we're looking at about 38 characters when all is said and done. Aside from the fact that they're introducing too many new characters and therefore the total roster is becoming unwieldy, I think 38 would be more than enough. Too many characters is annoying. This isn't Smash or DBFZ where there's extreme fandom for every character, coupled with the fact that character matchups are irrelevant in those games.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 AM   #434
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

SF V wasn't available on Xbox. Probably didn't help with the sales. And no Dudley.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #435
Joppula
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

SFV was a single title. With only one physical release. Everything that came after the base release was available to everyone via updates.

No additional money required to continue playing the newest version.

That being said, it is now the 2nd BEST SELLING single title in the franchise! 2nd only SF2!

And it was PlayStation/PC exclusive for the entire life of the title.

Furthermore,

SFV was produced in conjunction with Sony, at a time when Capcom was in considerable financial trouble.

Now, post Monster Hunter money, you get SF6. A title getting rave reviews.

The franchise is alive and kicking folks. Save the doom and gloom.

The fact that SF titles make enough money to be in the same conversation like games like Smash and DragonBall speaks volumes about its popularity.
Joppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #436
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

I bought a PS4 just to play SFV on launch day & can personally say, the game was such a huge disappointment for me. Yeah it was obviously bare bones, but little things like Birdie's chain clipping through his neck during the VS's screen, to the unfinished Zangief Finisher that they never fixed turned me off. Just like Ken's banana stupid looking hair. The music,... The backgrounds with the audience with low rendered graphics really made me pass on it early & not look back.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:36 PM   #437
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

SFII & SFIV were the best two games in the series. A lot of people will try and deny and claim SF Third Strike is the best in the franchise, but I lived in the arcade's during it's launch & if you were lucky enough to find the cabinet, nobody flocked around it & went back to SFII.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:11 PM   #438
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
SFII & SFIV were the best two games in the series. A lot of people will try and deny and claim SF Third Strike is the best in the franchise, but I lived in the arcade's during it's launch & if you were lucky enough to find the cabinet, nobody flocked around it & went back to SFII.
Me too, and, while that is true, that was an error on most of our parts, who passed on it initially.

The lack of recognizable roster combined with the transition to 3D hurt it's immediate appeal, but it's earned it's place as fantastic fighter over the years.

I love II, III and IV, as well as EX+a. V is a step below for me. I think it's technically fine, I just didn't have as much fun playing it. Could be the roster, or just my stage of life. Not going to be able to get to 6 for a little while, but I'm still looking forward to it a lot.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:13 PM   #439
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I preordered 6. I'm hoping it will be fun in the long run. I am very disappointed to see not a single Alpha or 3 character in the roster though
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:31 PM   #440
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
The fact that SF titles make enough money to be in the same conversation like games like Smash and DragonBall speaks volumes about its popularity.
I agree, but also would qualify that, insofar as MK, Smash and DBFZ, aren't directly competing with the Street Fighters and Tekkens of the world.

Those other 'fighters' generate a lot of their revenue from non-fighting game fans. MK sells a lot to a large juvenile crowd that only cares about ultra violence. Smash has a built-in star-studded roster. Same with the megahit DB license.

Street Fighter and Tekken created and maintain their success based solely on what they do with their created characters and the fine-tuned (compared to the vast majority of fighting games) mechanics.