Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-07-2023, 09:45 AM   #961
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Agreed, to be honest, I put this one up on ebay as soon as the teaser pic for the new one was shown. I was going to 'upgrade' and get the new one, but then when the full pics came out, I didn't like the portrait enough- it's too Scott Campbell/bishoujo looking for me. There was one pic that had more muted hues which looked great, but the actual piece will be more bright as shown on the product page. So, I never placed an order and thankfully nobody bought my green with envy, which I withdrew from sale
She?s still one of my favorite OG?s.

bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #962
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
She?s still one of my favorite OG?s.

Agreed, I love that piece (though nitpicky me prefers the plants from the flesh colored version).
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:09 AM   #963
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I had to get mine repainted because SS's factory job was so terrible. But the sculpt is amazing enough to definitely make it worth doing

DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #964
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I had to get mine repainted because SS's factory job was so terrible. But the sculpt is amazing enough to definitely make it worth doing

Holy wow! Definite improvement over the original flesh colored version.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #965
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Yah they made 3 versions of this statue - reg/ex light skin and above green skin, all done nicely. There was also a more recent Chinese recast that’s painted even better than the original.

I get the emotion from missing out a key release like if prime1 made 200 es on their 1/3 p1, but over some run of the mill pf is too much
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:24 AM   #966
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Beautiful! How much was the repaint if you don?t mind me asking.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #967
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
Beautiful! How much was the repaint if you don?t mind me asking.
Oh, geez... It's been a couple years now. Definitely double the original price of the statue. But I got the great John Allred to do it. So, he might have been a premium price when compared to others.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:34 AM   #968
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post

Now, where the intensity is coming from that you are seeing in the pages is that I feel that I am still a new collector of pieces in this scale so I already feel so left/far behind from the rest of my peers and so I do feel like I have much to catch up on and keep feeling as though I need to keep spending more for pieces that I have missed out on as they go to the secondary market, EBay and the FB groups. I believe this one hit me hard because I had no idea how few there would be and had no idea that I needed to jump as quickly as everyone else did because it was not the norm for what I have come to know from how SS sells their pieces. And it made no sense to me and still doesn't make sense to me that they would give this statue that type of treatment when this character has been made so many times prior. I mean, the Penguin has been never made by SS and was not treated this way and you would think that logically it would make sense to be the other way around....
I get your fairly new and pumped getting statues, its cool your passionate about them. I've been collecting for sometime and I would try to avoid "keeping up" with anyone, some people have been in it longer or have more means/space to get more statues. Doesn't mean you should rush to have what they do.

Take a breather cause I've made some stupid purchases, over paying, and then selling at a loss because of FOMO or to keep up. Not everyone who purchases keeps them forever, you'll have a chance, ya it sucks it will cost more but if its not worth it then you just wait out for the next.

Quote:
Oh, geez... It's been a couple years now. Definitely double the original price of the statue. But I got the great John Allred to do it. So, he might have been a premium price when compared to others.
Ya i remember seeing his repaints they looked amazing. I wanted him to do mine but he didn't want to do anymore. OG Ivy i think is better than the second Ivy, but I like the OG Ivy as much as the New Ivy, just need to repaint the OG. I'm planning on trying to repaint her on my own at somepoint as a learning experience. I'd like to learn to do touch ups rather than wait for artist to become available in 2-3 years.

Last edited by moyiori; 04-07-2023 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #969
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
Ya i remember seeing his repaints they looked amazing. I wanted him to do mine but he didn't want to do anymore. OG Ivy i think is better than the second Ivy, but I like the OG Ivy as much as the New Ivy, just need to repaint the OG. I'm planning on trying to repaint her on my own at somepoint as a learning experience. I'd like to learn to do touch ups rather than wait for artist to become available in 2-3 years.
From what John told me (all those years ago), he only does a specific statue release a couple of times before he puts them on his cutoff list. Either he gets bored, or he wants to make his repaints special in that only a couple of statues ever get his work. But I think for this Ivy he had done three when he cut her off and I had a bit of a sob story that convinced him to open up to her one more time =) ... And, actually now that I'm remembering - I think he did a fifth one after mine.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:01 AM   #970
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

that is a great repaint DiscoCougar-the statue is fantastic but I do not understand the bare midriff but it is Poison Ivy so it works
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote