Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-09-2023, 03:09 AM   #1
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

What Is The Most You've Spend on Original Art?

Hey fellow collectors!
I've been a print collector for a couple of years now. It was something natural to go along with statue collecting. I recently discovered "original art" and thought it would be awesome to have an ultimate one-of-a-kind item in my collection.

I'm def thinking about pieces that are in the range of $1000-2000. What are your thoughts on spending over 5000-$15K on an item? I've always loved the Marvel Masterpiece series and stumbled upon these.... I can't afford these at all unless I win the lottery but man is it crazy for wanting one of these? Someone talk some sense into me…

darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:57 AM   #2
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I spent $5k on Michael Turner's Superman cover. But that was a very specific and special circumstance that I hope to never go through again. And even still, that was already created art. For a commission? I think the most I ever spent was around $2k-$3k for a J Scott Campbell piece that took a few years to complete. Both absolutely worth it, though =)

Turner
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1173735

J Scott
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...p?piece=711459
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
I spent $5k on Michael Turner's Superman cover. But that was a very specific and special circumstance that I hope to never go through again. And even still, that was already created art. For a commission? I think the most I ever spent was around $2k-$3k for a J Scott Campbell piece that took a few years to complete. Both absolutely worth it, though =)

Turner
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1173735

J Scott
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...p?piece=711459
Thanks for sharing! Man I used to think spending hundreds on statues was my ceiling... commissions and originals are a whole different ballgame.

I can't seem to access comicartfans.com from my country...nothing ever loads arghhh. Maybe it is a good thing ~ keep me from salivating and taking that plunge.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
I can't seem to access comicartfans.com from my country...nothing ever loads arghhh.
That's odd. Have you tried a proxy server? Here's the J. Scott Campbell piece:

https://www.hidemyass-freeproxy.com/...ZWNlPTcxMTQ1OQ
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #5
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
That's odd. Have you tried a proxy server? Here's the J. Scott Campbell piece:

https://www.hidemyass-freeproxy.com/...ZWNlPTcxMTQ1OQ
Thanks for trying to help. But for some reason still a no go.

This site can?t be reachedwww.comicartfans.com took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Old 04-09-2023, 04:08 PM   #6
Shoo
Hercules

Bummer. Try other free proxies, maybe?

But yeah, it's probably for the best.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:24 PM   #7
SONICobra
Batman

I just spent $3000 on a Chris stevens commission that’s honestly the most I’d spend without feeling completely irresponsible

If I had enough disposable income id look into original art a little more but I feel like you get more of an experience with commissions as theyre more personal. I contemplated a capullo spawn splash page I remember loving when I first read the book as a kid but couldn’t pull the trigger
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I just spent $3000 on a Chris stevens commission that?s honestly the most I?d spend without feeling completely irresponsible

If I had enough disposable income id look into original art a little more but I feel like you get more of an experience with commissions as theyre more personal. I contemplated a capullo spawn splash page I remember loving when I first read the book as a kid but couldn?t pull the trigger
I'm quite responsible in most aspects of my life other than my hobby. If I see something I like I can't stop thinking about it and turn on "super irresponsible" mode.

Do you regret your purchase at all?
Old 04-11-2023, 06:15 PM   #9
SONICobra
Batman

oh no not at all, ive been thinking about this specific commission for a couple years. i went back and forth on if i would or not but in the end i knew i would regret not doing it and im really excited to see how it turns out. plus his rates went up since last time so who knows what theyll be next time. this is kind of my last hoorah for expensive art pieces, its just hard to ignore what else you can get for that kind of money

ive found in this hobby (statues, art, collectibles etc) for me at least i have a pretty good sense of what something is worth to me. im curating a collection tailored specifically for me to enjoy for as long as i possibly can and i dont want any regrets. i cant get everything i want of course but as the collection fills out ive been a lot better in really dialing in what i want my collection to look like. i dont have any really pressing life responsibilities right now (kids, wife etc) so im doing what i can while i can
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

10k+ more than once... Yeesh.

Alas, it is the going rate for quality artwork that also is a good investment. I would not spent that much on something I could not resell for more once the time comes. However, I am done with commissions or artwork I do not get to see in advance. Too many negative experiences taking that route.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote