Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 06-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
cblakey1
Cyclops

Man, am I the only one that Chaykin does absolutely nothing for? I almost couldn’t read it because the art was very amateurish (IMO) and looks like a non-painted panel Corben rip-off. Guess I’ve been out of reading comics too long. Anyway, I love where the story is going and can’t wait for next month when they enlist Luke Cage (and hopefully others).

Is anyone reading C.W. :Frontline? Now that is a great story. Kind of behind the scenes at the news organizations covering the Registration Act and C.W. action.

They had a scene in it where a TV show (Conan O’Brien?) was trying to guess who the next to unmask is and who it will be and the main focus was Bullseye. Is this a premonition of the “Bullseye might be Daredevil” theory?

Oh, and another thing. In Frontline, Speedball was captured and sent to a Gitmo-style prison for not registering and the G-Man who he was talking to said he won’t have his kinetic powers while locked up. My question is why? Is there something he needs to activate his powers or are the heroes being drugged or something to make their powers not work? Just wondering because that boy is gonna get messed up in prison.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
Fdisk
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

You forgot Action Comics, it was a nice wrap-up to the best Superman storyline in recent years. I didn't care for the last 2 pages stuff with the pretzel, pretty campy; but the rest, I thought made a pretty solid issue
Fdisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Cblakey1, I reviewed the first issue of Front Line. I think Speedball lost his powers due to his body's maxing them out to shield/protect him from Nitro's explosion, as opposed to being denied access to anything to activate them. I didn't really like Front Line as much as I'd hoped and passed on issue #2. So you're recommending it?

I guess we disagree on Chaykin, though I do see your point. I just really like his style though, like any artists', it's not necessarily for everybody.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdisk
You forgot Action Comics, it was a nice wrap-up to the best Superman storyline in recent years. I didn't care for the last 2 pages stuff with the pretzel, pretty campy; but the rest, I thought made a pretty solid issue
Actually, I didn't forget it but, in error, referenced it as Superman in my intro. I've corrected that and thanks for the catch. I can't stand the elevated chest emblem on his costume, though. I wish they'd stop doing that.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Dawg, Lark just gets better and better. I agree with your comparison to Maleev. Leaps and bounds above his work.

I mentioned Spidey in my FF review and I wish I could have spent more time on his book. What a great issue. The huge problems are just beginning for Peter, including with Stark. JMS really has brought his game up both on FF and Spider-Man with Civil War. I loved the tension between Reed and Sue when Pete was on the phone with them and MJ/May. And Ron Garney's art...I loved what he did on Captain America and he's knocking the ball out on Spider-Man. Though I wonder why the FF costumes were colored in the old Byrne color scheme?

Batman, 'nuff said.
good catch and questions about Reed and Sue's togs.. wonder if that has some significance?

Mike actually allowed me to guest review ASM in his good bad and ugly. I hit on quite a few of the same points as you Joe. Great minds what can I say?

I loved the tension with Pete and Tony. The way that he basically went off about how it was all on Tony's head if anything happened to MJ and Aunt May and he was still alive. All that right after a bout with the porcelain god...

Ron Garney is a storyteller... and his style plays well to JMS pacing and storytelling IMO!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

You guys have me looking forward to getting a few of these, particularly New Avengers...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #17
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
I didn't really like Front Line as much as I'd hoped and passed on issue #2. So you're recommending it?
Yes, I recommend it because it shows the action from the press' point of view. Lot's of things that wouldn't be picked up in other stories, like Firestar saying she's quitting being a superheroine and throwing her mask down, then the first Civil War battle between Iron Man and Prodigy pretty much kicked off with the enactment of the Act. Awesome stuff.

A guy on another forum said it better than I could with the following:

"I thought this was a great issue. The best so far apart from CW #1. Some action in it, but mainly a logical analysis of what's going on in the War. I don't think you can understand Civil War if you don't read this issue. 9.1/10"

Oh, and that it has a few sections done by different artists is a pleasant surprise too!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Excellent Daredevil interview with Ed Brubaker here:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75367
Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #19
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Interesting... Brus has spoken about the Daredevil that's not Matt...

We haven't really seen him since fall and he's one of Bru's faves...

I am still going to stick with Iron Fist. I don't know who else it would be?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

So is New Avengers back on track I read a while back it was running out of steam?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote