Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
qz33
Rescue

I'm pretty much at the opposite end of this spectrum. I love the re-releases. Makes more available and keeps retail prices in check and enables lower sales.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
bwestley13
Birdman

I might be out too. The apartment below mine had a dryer fire. My unit was condemned due to smoke damage and the company I hired doubts that my collection can be saved. Probably won't start collecting again.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
NegativeZero
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Sorry to hear about your collection Bwest, I'd be super pissed and quit as well.
My bishoujo days are numbered as well, can't keep up with the prices, and I own way too many figures, need the space back.
I think I have the entire bishoujo line minus some exclusives and they take up way too much space.
NegativeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #14
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy705 View Post
It was when I was at the Koto store yesterday and saw all those re-issues for sale where my passion for them started to tank.

Now they want me to pay upwards of $150 USD for something they're just going to re-issue down the road. Flood the market, pad their pockets with easy money, thus diminishing the return for my product, both financially and satisfaction of ownership.
This is exactly how I'm feeling as well. I loved the Bishoujo line and I used to collect these, but the rising prices and constant re-releases have made me lose interest. I guess the re-releases are nice for everyone who missed out, but it's just a slap in the face to long-time collectors. It seems like Koto is prioritizing new customers over older fans and I have to say that kinda stings as someone who used to own nearly all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
And what determines it? Why does Ivy and Dark Phoenix get new sculpts but Wonder Woman (armored) gets a tired re-release?
I feel like the Armored Wonder Woman re-release is due entirely to the new movie coming out, since she's been shown wearing armor in some of the advertisements. A re-release is also more cost effective over an entirely new Wondy sculpt.

It's just Koto and DC trying to capitalize on the hype, I guess.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #15
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I haven’t bought a bishoujo in over a year. Hate the re-release crap that koto is doing. I did preorder the crimson Baroness but will probably cancel it when it ships.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
khrisc
The X-Men

Yep same boat for me. Quit like a year ago when they started with the reissues and just sold all of them. I am also fine with releasing same character with a different sculpt but not the reissues. 4 or 5 years ago at the peak of Koto it was fun collecting and hunting these figures.
khrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisc View Post
Yep same boat for me. Quit like a year ago when they started with the reissues and just sold all of them. I am also fine with releasing same character with a different sculpt but not the reissues. 4 or 5 years ago at the peak of Koto it was fun collecting and hunting these figures.
Agreed. The only ones I still want are the horror ones like Beetlejuice and Pennywise.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #18
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm buying them far less frequently. I still want most of them, though.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #19
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

I posted in an earlier thread pretty much the same sentiments for walking away from Bishoujo (and Koto in general)... prices too high. The re-release aspect didn't offend me as much as some, since I never bought them with an eye towards an investment opportunity/flipping. Even during the catastrophic "Collectible Chromium Comic Book Covers" era I bought some thinking they were cool (and not believing they were going to finance my new Ferrari down the road). That was kind of a teaching moment for many (along with sports cards scandals) Yeah, I missed a few Kotos, but resigned myself to checking for bargains on eBay. I've bought one reissue (Cammy) and after the price hikes, I bailed. Best of collecting to those who remain.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #20
llama
The Spirit

I actually like re-issues because I can buy things I missed and I am not buying statues as an investment. I can see how it would bother someone who resells a lot of their statues though.

I do agree about the prices though. I will pay more for a figure if the quality and the complexity warrant it but bishoujos are not worth $150 to me. However, perhaps due to the re-issues, I usually see them going for a lot cheaper so anyone who is interested in just having the statue but not paying an inflated price should just be patient and wait for a discount. Pre-ordering is a good way to over pay, especially if it's something that will be readily available after release.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote