Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 03-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #21
khrisc
The X-Men

thats the point..I dont see them as an investment too but with these reissues there is a high chance one can buy them at a discounted price in the future coz of over stock. And that sucks more when I purchase at full price then see it later discounted.
khrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:21 PM   #22
llama
The Spirit

You should never pay more than what you feel is a fair price. There is no point in worrying about what other people pay. If you don't feel like you are getting your money's worth then don't buy or wait for a discount.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #23
mickey
The Avengers

Currently on hiatus with this line, Main reason is, I can't keep up. Plus, missing one made me wanna slack off collecting them. The new announcements excites me, like some on the G.I.Joe line and some on the horror line and I'm hoping that they announce more for the Street Fighter line. But missing Poison and the battle version Chun-Li made me feel like, "nah, can't get them all anyway, why rush buying new pieces" But if those 2 get new editions, I might start pre-ordering again.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:45 AM   #24
khrisc
The X-Men

well for me there is still a point coz i could have used that money for something else. It is still possible that I feel it is a fair price but still feel bad when I see it heavily discounted down the road. To each his own.
khrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:02 AM   #25
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisc View Post
well for me there is still a point coz i could have used that money for something else. It is still possible that I feel it is a fair price but still feel bad when I see it heavily discounted down the road. To each his own.
Same I loved these and collected them for many years. After I saw the reissues over and over again. I decided to quit the line. I paid 300.00 for the first Catwoman, 200.00 for the first supergirl, and batgirl. And so on... Then only to see the reissues come out for retail again and again. Not worth it anymore. I sold all my collection and moved on never going back to them no matter how tempting. Besides they will reissue all of them 2-3 times or more depending on demand. Back in the day koto said they will never reissue anything till the first was a success. Then money was the only motive while destroying the value of all of them. Those ko selling for 15.00 with exact boxes now selling hundred a month, will give koto a lot of loss business on line. Kind of satisfying as a payback for their greed in return to what they are doing.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #26
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaguy705 View Post
Long time collecting Bishoujos, but I think it's time I quit this hobby.

Prices are now approaching $150 USD and with all these re-issues, it's de-valuing the figures that I do own. I'm old-school. I like my collectibles to be collectible (Hate re-issues).

At one time, my local shop sold out immediately, very rarely would one make it to the shelf. But now, they're sitting there collecting dust waiting to be bought.

Too much money for plastic figures IMO.

It's been great following my fellow collectors on these boards and I MAY buy a SDCC exclusive if I absolutely love it, but other than that, I think I'm done and will live my hobby through you guys!

Thanks!
Collecting something (by definition) has nothing to do with original or retained value, that's just an association generally made to justify the urge.

If you're buying these products because of some misguided idea of investment potential, then that's solely your problem if it doesn't work out, after all investments are risky business.

Everyone can if course do what they want, for whatever reason they want, but I don't get why anyone would be butt hurt because they feel their collection has been devalued! Who promised you it would ever retain or gain in value? That was a hope you had.

Now you state you're going to quit, but not because of the statues themselves, but simply because "more" are being made - (I mean, you don't have to buy the reissues) - but it seems you never really liked the pieces in the first place, only what you thought they would bring you monetarily later on.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #27
Alter Ego
Fantastic Four

I'm disappointed in Kotobukiya because it's taking longer for things to come out, the prices are much higher and lines that their customers spent years collecting are being discontinued for other lines that are much more expensive than resin statues their size. I held out hope for over a year that they would come to their senses and change course, but alas, that is not the case. In the past couple of months I've sold over half of my Kotobukiya collection. Will probably only keep a small handful of my faves.
Alter Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #28
llama
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Collecting something (by definition) has nothing to do with original or retained value, that's just an association generally made to justify the urge.

If you're buying these products because of some misguided idea of investment potential, then that's solely your problem if it doesn't work out, after all investments are risky business.

Everyone can if course do what they want, for whatever reason they want, but I don't get why anyone would be butt hurt because they feel their collection has been devalued! Who promised you it would ever retain or gain in value? That was a hope you had.

Now you state you're going to quit, but not because of the statues themselves, but simply because "more" are being made - (I mean, you don't have to buy the reissues) - but it seems you never really liked the pieces in the first place, only what you thought they would bring you monetarily later on.
Well said.

I also find it strange when people complain about prices getting too high and at the same time complain about re-issues bringing prices down.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 PM   #29
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Well said.

I also find it strange when people complain about prices getting too high and at the same time complain about re-issues bringing prices down.
They're talking about the prices of new Bishoujos...

Re-Issues devalue the price of older bishoujos that have been out of stock for years, some people have paid the higher aftermarket prices on these older bishoujos not realizing that Koto was reissuing them, so now a older bishoujo they spent $200 on is only worth $80
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
llama
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
They're talking about the prices of new Bishoujos...

Re-Issues devalue the price of older bishoujos that have been out of stock for years, some people have paid the higher aftermarket prices on these older bishoujos not realizing that Koto was reissuing them, so now a older bishoujo they spent $200 on is only worth $80
I get it but if they keep doing re-releases then hopefully people will stop paying ridiculous prices in the first place. I think people feel bad that they paid too much for something and they want to feel justified when other people have to overpay as well ...or they are trying to make money by trying to overcharge other collectors. Why should Kotobukiya or any other company care about after-market prices? They should keep supplying the demand for their merchandise.

I find it really petty to want to take the opportunity to get a desired statue away from other collectors just because people can't live with their financial decision. If people want to invest in something buy a CD and let statues get into the hands of those who actually like them.