Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Action Figures / Toys / Trading Cards

Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
S-tier Adam
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Amiibo Super Smash Bros. Trophies

Ok...

*deep breaths*

Ok, so it's only right that I am the person that shares this with you guys... more on this later...

Recently gaming giant Nintendo has finally started doing things right by their hardcore gamer fans. There have been a lot of steps in the right direction where the new Super Smash Bros. title is concerned. They even hosted an invitational tournament and brought some of the Smash community's most respected players to compete in the demo of SSB4 months before its release. They were even listening for feedback. This was all great for me to hear, because I come from the Smash community. I have been playing SSB competitively for over 10 years! I love this game so much that I have dedicated even my professional life to it. Nintendo reaching out to the fans also gave me hope that my dreams could come true... that my current project would be successful...

And I'm sure it will be... without me...

Last week at E3, Nintendo announced these guys.

Wow these are a dream come true. I've been wanting Smash Bros. trophies for years. It is very bittersweet for me however, because I've wanted them so badly that I actually started making my own. This announcement makes me so excited and so angry at the same time. I just needed to the end of this year to have enough ready for market and to attempt a licensing deal. Nintendo finally realized what a cash cow they have in front of them and went out and contracted someone to make these for them. They are similar to Skylanders and Infinity, except they look far better. They will interact with the new Smash game. They are going to sell billions, and I have to sit by and watch. My dreams are smashed. I will probably cry everytime I buy one of these...

We are not here to focus on my pain though, I just needed to get that off of my chest. All bias aside, I must admit they look great, especially when you consider that the target market is not collectors. I mean I honestly don't see any flaws in them. (except that I'm not the creator)

So what do you guys think of them?

These are the first ones that have been revealed with plans to reveal more as time goes on. They look EXACTLY like their primary in-game pose as seen on the official Smash Bros. site. I'm pretty sure they used 3d printing, which makes it an even harder pill for me to swallow, because it's so much more efficient to make theirs than to make mine the traditional way.

The characters they have so far are Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, DK, Peach, Marth, Link, Zelda, Fox, Kirby, Samus, Pit, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer

The ones that I have in the works are Mario, Fox, Peach, Meta Knight, DK, Olimar, Yoshi, Pikachu, Link, and Kirby.

Now that a week has gone by, I've come to accept that my dream can no longer be achieved the way I had set it out. I'm not going to mope around about, instead I'm going to experiment a little bit and see if I can't find a way to still do something quite similar, but make it different enough to work. As of right now mine are exactly the same as theirs except bigger. Mine are 1/8 scale, theirs look like 1/16. When I reveal one of my figures here very soon, I'll discuss some of the different options I'm kicking around to alter the original SSB trophy design that I planned.

I'm not going to share any of my work on here, but I will be posting some soon in a new thread and I'll link it here. If anyone has any ideas of how I should proceed with my work, I'd love to hear em!

For now, discuss anything Amiibo related here.
S-tier Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

as much as I used to love Nintendo they lost me with the Wii and doubt i'll be coming back to their consoles anytime soon, that said I am totally going to collect a few of these as they are just great characters. Couple minor complaints are who in the hell is going to want a Wii-Fit trainer, Link is in a horrible pose, he's just kind of hovering for no reason, not jumping not attacking just hovering. and finally why no bad guys in this wave, would've been nice to at least get a Bowser or Gannon.

I do look forward to seeing what you end up doing with your designs though, there is a serious lack of good Nintendo merchandise in this world so the more the merrier
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
adee
Green Arrow

I had to look it up: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-20.../2300-6419398/

Seems very cool. My son will be all over this.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
S-tier Adam
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post

I do look forward to seeing what you end up doing with your designs though, there is a serious lack of good Nintendo merchandise in this world so the more the merrier
At the very least, I plan on continuing to sculpt Nintendo characters almost exclusively. I totally agree with you on Nintendo going way down hill when the Wii came out, but I will always be devoted to their characters. (except Wii Fit Trainer and Villager lol). They are doing a lot of things right this time around so hopefully the Wii-U won't disappoint when I get one.
S-tier Adam is offline   Reply With Quote