Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Art Stories

Old 04-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
Just to get your feelings on this. How long do you usually let a commission go before checking in with the artist? I've got one outstanding which will be 2 years in Sept. They do alot of other works and go to alot of cons. I know they didn't forget about it since I've seen their commission list and the piece was on there. Is there an acceptable time frame to contact an artist about a commission? I paid just under $200, and owe the rest upon completion. Any helpful tips?

well depends, when an artists tells me 2 months and i wait 4 months to ask, then i get a bunch of excuses, then it goes to never answering emaisl, i saw eddy a year + later at the pitt con, he showed me and my daughter my commission and sais it needed tweaking and would be done within 2 weeks and could pick it up at motor city con or hell mail it since i already paid for it plus shipping.. im in pitt why the hell would i go to detroit to pick a commission up that i paid shipping for already,
anyways as nice as i am i commissioned a piece at the pitt con and he did it!
well 4 weeks later and noithing again. oen excuse he even gave me was he didnt have enough money to ship it to me!! so here we are after numerous emails, a few he answered and most he never does, over 2 yrs and nothing! whats blows my mind is i dont really want the art anymore but i want something! i said send refund, send the commisison, do more anything to make it right. still nothing.
i asked several times...i saw my commission 95% done,where is it, just send me that, still no answer
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbroke223 View Post
well depends, when an artists tells me 2 months and i wait 4 months to ask, then i get a bunch of excuses, then it goes to never answering emaisl, i saw eddy a year + later at the pitt con, he showed me and my daughter my commission and sais it needed tweaking and would be done within 2 weeks and could pick it up at motor city con or hell mail it since i already paid for it plus shipping.. im in pitt why the hell would i go to detroit to pick a commission up that i paid shipping for already,
anyways as nice as i am i commissioned a piece at the pitt con and he did it!
well 4 weeks later and noithing again. oen excuse he even gave me was he didnt have enough money to ship it to me!! so here we are after numerous emails, a few he answered and most he never does, over 2 yrs and nothing! whats blows my mind is i dont really want the art anymore but i want something! i said send refund, send the commisison, do more anything to make it right. still nothing.
i asked several times...i saw my commission 95% done,where is it, just send me that, still no answer
That sucks GB. I don't understand how/why some of these artists get into situations like this. I hope you get some satisfaction soon. Unfrotunately, the experience has left you apathetic towards a piece which you were once pretty excited about. I can't understand how some people can do this to others and still sleep at night. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #23
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Thanks BF. The artist did say that it wouldn't be started until '08, and I have only heard good things about him so I'm not really concerned. I guess I'd just like to know the where I'm at in the process without seeming pushy. All my other commissions have been more short term. As for Chris Stevens, I love his work, and have seriously considered getting a piece done by him. Unfortunately, his commission list closed once before I could get to him, and the time I could have made it, didn't have the cash. Eventually I'll get the timing right. Thanks again!
started in 08 and not done yet????? is it a 5 foot tall mural with 100 characters I would be buggin the guy
Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
That sucks GB. I don't understand how/why some of these artists get into situations like this. I hope you get some satisfaction soon. Unfrotunately, the experience has left you apathetic towards a piece which you were once pretty excited about. I can't understand how some people can do this to others and still sleep at night. Good luck!

problem is the collectors give the power to the artists, some pay ridiculous prices for commissions so of course other artists jack thier prices up... and they make you feel like you gotta eat the crap they are shovelin at you if you want anything from them..i mean to tell me it was done 2 yrs ago and didnt have the money to ship it!! bull... wont even send me a pic of my commission. i saw it in person with a few things missing and im baffled ..where the hell did my art go?? doesnt cost him anything to finish it and send it to me but no 2 1/2 yrs later and no art or refund.. he has a myspace and i sent him a message amonth ago, he replied once sayin his has stuff to tell me and he will make it right. well sent several more emails to his myspace and of course no answe!!!
maybe fellow art friends that are fed up with artists doing this should message eddy newells myspace and ask where my jsa vs solomon grundy painted commission is!!!!lol
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #25
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

oh boy this sounds like my situation also, i've been waiting almost 2 yrs for my 2 commissions from rags. i haven't really bugged him about it but maybe i should. i'll keep you posted if i hear anything back.

OD
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
oh boy this sounds like my situation also, i've been waiting almost 2 yrs for my 2 commissions from rags. i haven't really bugged him about it but maybe i should. i'll keep you posted if i hear anything back.

OD
maybe you will get lucky and get both pieces
Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #27
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Man, I feel like such a sucker. All this time, I've been working when I could've just taken everyone's money and walked. Live and learn I guess. These stories are really starting to bum me out. They're the minority, but still...disappointing to hear even one.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
Man, I feel like such a sucker. All this time, I've been working when I could've just taken everyone's money and walked. Live and learn I guess. These stories are really starting to bum me out. They're the minority, but still...disappointing to hear even one.
Chris, it's people like you that keep us going ... fortunately these horror stories are few enough and far between for most to keep us in the hobby

CAF
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
ecthelion
Hydra

Agreed, JG. I tend to stick a bit to the guys out there who I know are good to work with, and if I commission a new guy and he screws up, I never commission him again. EVS: I really, really love the batman commission he did, but I am so not going to commission him ever again (if he'd still be doing them). And all the guys I hear about screwing you over I don't even consider anymore when looking for new artists to commission.

That's why I'd like a new piece by chris; amazing to deal with and you're sure you get an amazing piece. To me, that certainty is worth a lot.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
ratchet
Mandarin

Thing is - I have asked quite a few artists about commissions and I refuse to get one that would take longer than a few months. Personal guide line - but also - I can't wait that long!