Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #6901
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
You guys use mom/pop shops for framing or the hobby shops? Just curious as I had a major issue at Michaels this past week.
Mom/Pop for me.

I never use the big boys.

What happened at Michael's?
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #6902
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
You guys use mom/pop shops for framing or the hobby shops? Just curious as I had a major issue at Michaels this past week.
I use a local small NW chain. I'd never use Michael's.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #6903
Luminous
Cyclops

Mom/pop.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #6904
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I took a framed piece in to get swapped out for another. Out was Englert White residence, in was Englert C/H. Originally framed at the same Michaels, same time as all my others (11 and a few others). If you're not familiar, Michaels swaps out mat colors every few years so matching an old one with a new is almost impossible. Prints were floated so I needed to keep the background mat regardless. Dude calls me as he's working on it, there may be a small tear. I said ok fine, even though old framer and I had discussed using all archival stuff and that I at some point would be removing the art since I was a collector. I was ok with minimal damage, don't mess up the mat. Two days later I get a call. Good news and bad news. Bad news print was damaged. I said fine. New work looks great. So I go in to pick it up, frame job looks great. I said where's the others torn print? He threw it away. Jaw dropped. It was "unsalvageable" they said. I flipped out, pretty much in awe.

Went home and thought about it. Odds are, every piece in my home on the walls is messed up. Out of all of them to think only one framed piece was messed up is silly. So, I left my number with the ridiculous chick working and asked for a call from the department manager. 4 days passed and I went in. She was there. I have a number of issues. First is that you all threw away my property, whatever damage it was in. Not your right to toss that. She said well, it was damaged. I said, right, that your company did in the first place. Not my team she said. Well, your store. Third, what about the $10k in art I've brought to you all to possibly damage. I'm not even going to go there. Easily spent $5k on framing. She knew it. She had seen my file and even referenced seeing all the work receipts and then was surprised that I didn't have the original frame receipt from 4 years ago. I said, it's right there, you already saw it, you even said so! Well, it'll be hard to find. My goodness.

So I left with the understanding that a discussion with the store manager would happen and then a claim would be filed. I took in the EB database page and showed that I was looking for ONLY the 6 month average in retribution. Lucky then.

So, yeah, beware.

EDIT: dude apparently ran multiple strips of tape across the back.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #6905
Luminous
Cyclops

Wow....
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #6906
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

That's awful, but not the first horror story I've heard regarding Michael's. I've never used them and this is exactly why. Unless you're pulling your art out of the frames every now and then there is no way to know for certain if they've followed through with what you're paying for. There is a huge trust factor with this kind of work unfortunately so for places that do frame word of mouth means everything to me.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:35 AM   #6907
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Anyone details on this one?

Looks pretty good. I still think the movie is going to suck. And the Martin Ansin version is the one to get. Prices are probably off the wall now with the coming movie though.

Quote:
I took a framed piece in to get swapped out for another. Out was Englert White residence, in was Englert C/H. Originally framed at the same Michaels, same time as all my others (11 and a few others). If you're not familiar, Michaels swaps out mat colors every few years so matching an old one with a new is almost impossible. Prints were floated so I needed to keep the background mat regardless. Dude calls me as he's working on it, there may be a small tear. I said ok fine, even though old framer and I had discussed using all archival stuff and that I at some point would be removing the art since I was a collector. I was ok with minimal damage, don't mess up the mat. Two days later I get a call. Good news and bad news. Bad news print was damaged. I said fine. New work looks great. So I go in to pick it up, frame job looks great. I said where's the others torn print? He threw it away. Jaw dropped. It was "unsalvageable" they said. I flipped out, pretty much in awe.

Went home and thought about it. Odds are, every piece in my home on the walls is messed up. Out of all of them to think only one framed piece was messed up is silly. So, I left my number with the ridiculous chick working and asked for a call from the department manager. 4 days passed and I went in. She was there. I have a number of issues. First is that you all threw away my property, whatever damage it was in. Not your right to toss that. She said well, it was damaged. I said, right, that your company did in the first place. Not my team she said. Well, your store. Third, what about the $10k in art I've brought to you all to possibly damage. I'm not even going to go there. Easily spent $5k on framing. She knew it. She had seen my file and even referenced seeing all the work receipts and then was surprised that I didn't have the original frame receipt from 4 years ago. I said, it's right there, you already saw it, you even said so! Well, it'll be hard to find. My goodness.

So I left with the understanding that a discussion with the store manager would happen and then a claim would be filed. I took in the EB database page and showed that I was looking for ONLY the 6 month average in retribution. Lucky then.

So, yeah, beware.

EDIT: dude apparently ran multiple strips of tape across the back.
Any pics of this "floating" that they did?

Sounds comical. The best thing to do is find a paper conservation company and see who they recommend for framing. If you are still concerned be there when they are putting the art in the frame. If they say no take your business elsewhere. Or do it yourself.

These quick places are only interested in framing it quick and for as much as possible. This sounds comparable to dry mount jobs. Which even those can be fixed but this "framer" decided to just throw the art away because they have no clue what they are doing or dealing with.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #6908
Vracula
Jedi Order

https://forbiddenplanet.com/159580-d...mited-edition/

This masterpiece Jock Batman print is back in stock . Be quick!

110 usd including shipping to the US for those cutious.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #6909
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

So, I am being refunded the average selling price as per the EB page I printed out. I'm ok with that. I don't even wanna think about the rest. Just glad it all looks good where it is.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #6910
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
So, I am being refunded the average selling price as per the EB page I printed out. I'm ok with that. I don't even wanna think about the rest. Just glad it all looks good where it is.
You should think about the rest. Poor framing (or storage for that matter) with low quality materials can ruin the value of your prints. Especially if they had the nerve to use tape. Although there is acid free tape. Even that is not the best to use.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote