Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #391
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexT View Post
I can confirm that that tariff went up. At my job I import raw materials from China. First step was in December of 2018. Now tariffs are being raised to full 25%. Anything on water before May 10th isn’t affected due to grace period allowed for sea borne cargo.

Chad from TH is 100% correct and very transparent. 25% is here and will touch pretty much everything that comes from China so be prepared to pay more for a lot of things not just the statues.

Edit:
Good read. Not only 25% is real... there is potential for additional 10%. Not really statue related but applicable.
https://www.marke----ch.com/story/no...30s-2019-08-06
https://www.strtrade.com/f-tariff-ac...resources.html
Tariffs have gone up twice on selected goods which has never included these statues (mainly raw materials affected). The information is available for anyone to see. I also never said Tweeterhead raised their prices, just that companies use things like this to justify their high prices to begin with.

I got a huge dragon statue from Design Toscano for about $150 with a paint job that looks just as good as some of the $900 statues I'm seeing. There is a huge markup on these products.

To make it easy, here are the documents straight from HTSUS.

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...t-09.17.18.pdf

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...s/List%202.pdf

3926.40.00 Statuettes and other ornamental articles - 5.3% - https://hts.usitc.gov/view/finalCopy...e=2019HTSRev11

Clearly there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding this issue. If the next round of tariffs truly apply to all other subheadings of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, these will end up incurring a 15.3% tariff as opposed to the current 5.3%.

I'm also not stating I support these tariffs, only the facts. If chad really wants to back up his case, all we need is the heading/subheading from his shipments and we can use the posted documents to look it up ourselves. If for some reason his shipments are being classed as something else, it may be wrong or I stand corrected.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #392
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Tariffs have gone up twice on selected goods which has never included these statues (mainly raw materials affected). The information is available for anyone to see. I also never said Tweeterhead raised their prices, just that companies use things like this to justify their high prices to begin with.

If chad really wants to back up his case, all we need is the heading/subheading from his shipments and we can use the posted documents to look it up ourselves. If for some reason his shipments are being classed as something else, it may be wrong or I stand corrected.
Chad isn't making a case that needs to be backed up. He didn't gain a single cent or prove any point by being so forthcoming in his live video. You seem convinced that he wasn't being truthful. I see no logical reason for him to lie.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #393
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Chad isn't making a case that needs to be backed up. He didn't gain a single cent or prove any point by being so forthcoming in his live video. You seem convinced that he wasn't being truthful. I see no logical reason for him to lie.
...but he is incorrect according to official documents. They charge based off the documents I posted. That is all I'm saying. Maybe he spoke off of assumptions, but its not what was actually happening. I mean, this "argument" amounts to someone saying something isn't illegal, someone posting the actual law showing it is, yet having people still say it isn't. Just look at the Chinese tariffs above. Nothing that even remotely resembles anything to do with this hobby.

With that, I'm out. If anyone wants the truth, the official documents are above. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...yada yada yada. I frankly don't care enough to continue.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #394
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
...but he is incorrect according to official documents. They charge based off the documents I posted. That is all I'm saying. Maybe he spoke off of assumptions, but its not what was actually happening. I mean, this "argument" amounts to someone saying something isn't illegal, someone posting the actual law showing it is, yet having people still say it isn't. Just look at the Chinese tariffs above. Nothing that even remotely resembles anything to do with this hobby.
I don't think he spoke off of assumptions. He spoke off of the amount of the check he had to write to get a cargo container released from the port.

On top of that, Prime 1 noted in their email to customers that the escalating trade war between China and the US was one of the reasons economy shipping was held up.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #395
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
I don't think he spoke off of assumptions. He spoke off of the amount of the check he had to write to get a cargo container released from the port.

On top of that, Prime 1 noted in their email to customers that the escalating trade war between China and the US was one of the reasons economy shipping was held up.
I guess I lied about not responding. You would think customs must do whatever they want and don't have to follow the published fees in the Harmonized Tariff schedule. I still posted the legal documents, so maybe he should have contested any higher amount if he actually paid it.

...and I frankly don't trust much of anything about Prime 1's logic for delaying economy shipping. They could have shipped just fine, but expect things to get held up outbound from China and inbound to the U.S. Their economy shipping always said customer was responsible for any custom fees, so it really didn't matter if they were 100%.

Also important to note that customers would have gotten their tracking numbers a long time ago if they had shipped, but had unexpected delays due to Chinese customs.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #396
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

On another note, the shipping companies often collect customs fees and could have overcharged Chad based on incorrect information. There is a growing trend in America to just accept things without fact checking. If my bill jumped up, first place I would have gone was the HTSUS.gov website.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #397
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
I guess I lied about not responding. You would think customs must do whatever they want and don't have to follow the published fees in the Harmonized Tariff schedule. I still posted the legal documents, so maybe he should have contested any higher amount if he actually paid it.

...and I frankly don't trust much of anything about Prime 1's logic for delaying economy shipping. They could have shipped just fine, but expect things to get held up outbound from China and inbound to the U.S. Their economy shipping always said customer was responsible for any custom fees, so it really didn't matter if they were 100%.

Also important to note that customers would have gotten their tracking numbers a long time ago if they had shipped, but had unexpected delays due to Chinese customs.
The conditions of economy shipping state that customers would not receive their tracking numbers until their item arrives in the United States.

Prime 1 is less clear about customs fees. On the one hand, they say Customs duties & Shipping fees will be included in the total purchase amount, but on the other hand, they add Sales taxes or other levies if applicable may be charged by your country’s customs authority and collected by the carrier.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #398
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
On another note, the shipping companies often collect customs fees and could have overcharged Chad based on incorrect information. There is a growing trend in America to just accept things without fact checking. If my bill jumped up, first place I would have gone was the HTSUS.gov website.
One would hope that someone importing from China would understand that customs fees are not paid to shipping companies, but to U.S. Customs & Border Patrol.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #399
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
The conditions of economy shipping state that customers would not receive their tracking numbers until their item arrives in the United States.

Prime 1 is less clear about customs fees. On the one hand, they say Customs duties & Shipping fees will be included in the total purchase amount, but on the other hand, they add Sales taxes or other levies if applicable may be charged by your country’s customs authority and collected by the carrier.
My original impression was that custom duties were covered by Prime 1, but state sales taxes may still be applicable. But now.....

Quote:
One would hope that someone importing from China would understand that customs fees are not paid to shipping companies, but to U.S. Customs & Border Patrol.
Actually depending on the situation custom fees can and are paid to the shipping company, sort of. In order to ‘potentially’ speed up the clearance on the imported item, the shipping company ‘may’ pay the duties on your behalf (even if you don’t want them to) to the governing body. They will then submit an invoice to the importer to recover this amount. Unfortunately they will then charge you either a fixed amount or % dependant on cost for this privilege. This is how DHL and Fedex operate, so I’ve got to assume others do as well, even when it’s coming over via container ship.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #400
bonedaddy77
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My economy order went out UPS worldwide expedited from China
bonedaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote