Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 10-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #541
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I wonder how this seamless one was made?

Quote:
Look closely at the differences between the two collars. What do you see?

The prototype collar/strap conforms to the shape around the clavicle, whereas the production piece just looks like a rigid loop.

The clasp in front that attaches to the cloth is also sitting up much higher.

Will it be able to be molded to that shape to hide the seam- or will it remain solid and rigid?
Heating it might make it pliable- or it might just have to be replaced with something that people fashion themselves.

Armature wire would probably work, though it would have to be painted- but it's flexible to conform to the proper shape.

FWIW- I think the prototype's likeness at the top is excellent. I easily see Clarke in it.
And the specific angle of the bottom production piece also looks like Clarke to me. Some other angles I've seen of it, less so. Not a total miss by any means though. Like most every celeb likeness, some angles better emphasize the likeness while others diminish it. Ditto for the effects of lighting.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #542
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

pdenham, very good observations, and I agree angles play a big role in portraits, after looking at both pictures, its obvious that my biggest dislike is the plasticky look compared to the beautiful natural real skin look of the prototype
Atlantisatdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #543
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
pdenham, very good observations, and I agree angles play a big role in portraits, after looking at both pictures, its obvious that my biggest dislike is the plasticky look compared to the beautiful natural real skin look of the prototype
You could spend extra $$ and get it sent to a master painter, who could probably bring out the ultra realism of this piece.

They could probably fix the seam as well.
Silas Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #544
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
You could spend extra $$ and get it sent to a master painter, who could probably bring out the ultra realism of this piece.

They could probably fix the seam as well.
I would possibly consider that, as long as I could afford it, also I hear people on here talk about repaints, but I have no idea who does them or how to contact them?
Old 10-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #545
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I’m worried. I have zero skills to fix that.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #546
Thor57
Teen Titans

I’ll just wait for mine to arrive. If the collar is bad but I’m in love with the rest of it, I’ll pay to have it snapped off and sculpted onto her collar to hide the seam like in the proto photos. If the rest of it is bad, lacking detail, subpar paint, then I’ll just return it and my Game of Thrones book collection will just have to suffice of the books and my dragon eggs.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #547
Thor57
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
I would possibly consider that, as long as I could afford it, also I hear people on here talk about repaints, but I have no idea who does them or how to contact them?
Paint jobs like that run 3/4 to equal the price of the piece itself, so you know.
Thor57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #548
pdenham
Teen Titans

While I realize it's outside of the skill set or abilities of many(most) people who collect these, I think it's still worthwhile to watch the Sideshow videos of painters at work to see what goes into making the prototype portraits as realistic and detailed as they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjuwZ0oM9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wn3uBKeeZw

There's no way production pieces - from any company - are getting this much TLC.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #549
Atlantisatdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor57 View Post
Paint jobs like that run 3/4 to equal the price of the piece itself, so you know.
Just for the head?
Old 10-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #550
pdenham
Teen Titans

Would seem smarter to me to paint the head along with the upper torso so that they aren't mis matched when you put them together.
Even subtle variations in colors, or the values of those colors, can stand out when directly next to each other.

You also wouldn't want a hyper realistic head stuck on a plastic-looking body. The fine little speckling that gives it that life-like quality needs to be carried over to the shoulder and arms to look right.