Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Sometimes,.....the "variants" or the "exclusives" are not necessarily as "favoured" as the original, even though the "variant" or the "exclusive" may in fact be the "more rare"....

This seemed to have been the case with the Puck bust...I DO have both, but ONLY display the Jim Maddox version.

And as far as my Aspen statue,....although the version with the shorts and t-short is the more "rare",....I have chosen to get the Bikini version as I actually PREFER the desing of it moreso than that of the rare version.
glassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdancer View Post
I'm sure it makes many others laugh as well.

Interesting,......

So what about in the case of the Quicksilver statue.....

blue shorts versus black shorts......????
According to the "definition" of what variant means I am sure they can be considered as such.

However Quicksilver for example, blue and black shorts, no I don't think it should be considered a variant no matter what the definition. Their is absolutely no change to the sculpt.

Lets take the future Metallic Cap for example. Now if the paint was the only thing changed then I would like it but I wouldn't call it an outright variant. However if BD does change the sculpt of the face, have it facing the other way to look more "heroic" and have the shield in his left hand or something then that in my opinion is enough of a change in the sculpt and character depiction to warrant it being called a "variant".
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Sometimes,.....the "variants" or the "exclusives" are not necessarily as "favoured" as the original, even though the "variant" or the "exclusive" may in fact be the "more rare"....

This seemed to have been the case with the Puck bust...I DO have both, but ONLY display the Jim Maddox version.

And as far as my Aspen statue,....although the version with the shorts and t-short is the more "rare",....I have chosen to get the Bikini version as I actually PREFER the desing of it moreso than that of the rare version.
I feel some collectors can often be left feeling disappointed because their sculpt is no longer the "premier" version of a character due to a variant and I think that can take the enjoyment out of statue collecting. To some, rarity matters a lot.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPH4T34M View Post
According to the "definition" of what variant means I am sure they can be considered as such.

However Quicksilver for example, blue and black shorts, no I don't think it should be considered a variant no matter what the definition. Their is absolutely no change to the sculpt.

Lets take the future Metallic Cap for example. Now if the paint was the only thing changed then I would like it but I wouldn't call it an outright variant. However if BD does change the sculpt of the face, have it facing the other way to look more "heroic" and have the shield in his left hand or something then that in my opinion is enough of a change in the sculpt and character depiction to warrant it being called a "variant".
So, then let's "push the envelope" a little then.....

So,..

ONLY change being the shorts color.....

does this qualify as justification to charge a different price (in this case, MORE), and create a lower edition number....???
Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
So, then let's "push the envelope" a little then..... So,.. ONLY change being the shorts colour..... does this qualify as justification to charge a different price (in this case, MORE), and create a lower edition number....???
No.

However BD has probably arranged a lower edition number because they think that many will be enough and low edition numbers = a higher charge from the factory to produce each piece.

However I can’t sometimes help but think that these variants are consciously created with low edition numbers.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
No.

However BD has probably arranged a lower edition number because they think that many will be enough and low edition numbers = a higher charge from the factory to produce each piece.

However I can’t sometimes help but think that these variants are consciously created with low edition numbers.
I agree with you.

in the end,.....

it's all about the dollar.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
I agree with you.

in the end,.....

it's all about the dollar.
So now, does that mean, in terms of variants, a "want" is sometimes created by the manufacturers without a "need" from the consumer?

Obviously everyone gets tempted by what the manufacturers and producers make, that's how they make money, fair enough, but are consumers sometimes tempted to buy unnecessarily with "silly" variants?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
So now, does that mean, in terms of variants, a "want" is sometimes created by the manufacturers without a "need" from the consumer?

Obviously everyone gets tempted by what the manufacturers and producers make, that's how they make money, fair enough, but are consumers sometimes tempted to buy unnecessarily with "silly" variants?
VERY good point!!!

Truth be told, if I were a "Flipper" you'd better believe I'd be all over that Exclusive Quicksilver. But with the intent to sell it and make a profit. Otherwise, I'd be just as happy with the black shorts version. I suppose it all depends on what the intenet is.

Luckily for me, I'm just getting the green version!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
VERY good point!!!

Truth be told, if I were a "Flipper" you'd better believe I'd be all over that Exclusive Quicksilver. But with the intent to sell it and make a profit. Otherwise, I'd be just as happy with the black shorts version. I suppose it all depends on what the intenet is.

Luckily for me, I'm just getting the green version!
Is that a variant?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
IMO, both the black and red are variants (regardless of release qty). Namor "most of the time" wore green, the other costumes were rarer. So "in MY definition" of a variant, Namor black and red are variants of the green. JMO.
It's just the matter of differnt color which everyone can repaint in the house with a brush and some paint. but most of us are not able to resculpt the statue so to me only resculpt could be called variant.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote