Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPH4T34M View Post
Is that a variant?
In my opinion,....

The Green Quicksilver FS statue should have been considered the "variant" and I would ALSO have been FINE with it also being the "exclusive" or "collector's club" exclusive edition.

Just like in the case of the Busts.

For me the piece looks far different,...the paint job, the face, the head, the costume, the shoes versus the boots, etc.

To me,..the Green version qualifies as a variant by way of the term, "variant!" and I would also have been fine with it having been the "exclusive" as opposed to the blue shorts version.
glassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

Quote:
No.

However BD has probably arranged a lower edition number because they think that many will be enough and low edition numbers = a higher charge from the factory to produce each piece.

However I can’t sometimes help but think that these variants are consciously created with low edition numbers.
Personally, I don't think a different paint color is enough to consider a "variation". I can get on board with an obvious change (facial expresstion, different pose, arms/no arms, different base etc.) A "variation" should be something other than the same sculpt w/another color paint. I agree with the idea that a costume color should be a choice if it is going to be anyhow! The She Hulk and the She Hulk FF are variations to me, however the Electra's no so much (3 different colors) of the same darn bust. That being said I can appreciate the fact that is cost the same amount of money to produce 1000 (or near the same) as it might for 500 or 750.....
However, it's not like anyone is twisting arms to make you buy something. I think this is a noteworthy subject to converse about, by the same token it's nothing to get bent out of shape about.
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo-S View Post
Personally, I don't think a different paint color is enough to consider a "variation". I can get on board with an obvious change (facial expresstion, different pose, arms/no arms, different base etc.) A "variation" should be something other than the same sculpt w/another color paint. I agree with the idea that a costume color should be a choice if it is going to be anyhow! The She Hulk and the She Hulk FF are variations to me, however the Electra's no so much (3 different colors) of the same darn bust. That being said I can appreciate the fact that is cost the same amount of money to produce 1000 (or near the same) as it might for 500 or 750.....
However, it's not like anyone is twisting arms to make you buy something. I think this is a noteworthy subject to converse about, by the same token it's nothing to get bent out of shape about.
Nah,...

no shape-bending going on here. Just chatting!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo-S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdancer View Post
Nah,...

no shape-bending going on here. Just chatting!

Is he calling us "magicians" Luis?
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Is he calling us "magicians" Luis?

I wish I could make all of this work I have to do in my office today dissappear...!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #26
ALPH4T34M
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdancer View Post
I wish I could make all of this work I have to do in my office today dissappear...!!!!!
Lol! Have you visited our new home yet?
ALPH4T34M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #27
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

If I may quote Perkins' Verbose English Dictionary (2008 ed.):

Variants - Variants are existing sculpts that are tweaked so as to offer a new take on the same character. Variants can be broken up into more than one type: Repaint Variants and Tweaked Variants which have been tweaked with additional sculpting. Examples: Clear Iceman is a Repaint Variant of regular Iceman (although in this case instead of being repainted, Clear Iceman was cast in translucent resin). Gold Yellowjacket is a Repaint Variant of Regular Yellowjacket. One example of a Tweaked Variant is Mr. Fixit, which is a modified Bowen Designs Hulk Mini-Bust.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #28
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Lol! Have you visited our new home yet?
Just now!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
glassdancer
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
If I may quote Perkins' Verbose English Dictionary (2008 ed.):

Variants - Variants are existing sculpts that are tweaked so as to offer a new take on the same character. Variants can be broken up into more than one type: Repaint Variants and Tweaked Variants which have been tweaked with additional sculpting. Examples: Clear Iceman is a Repaint Variant of regular Iceman (although in this case instead of being repainted, Clear Iceman was cast in translucent resin). Gold Yellowjacket is a Repaint Variant of Regular Yellowjacket. One example of a Tweaked Variant is Mr. Fixit, which is a modified Bowen Designs Hulk Mini-Bust.
that's a fari way of looking at it. Good points all around. Very diplomatic. Thanks for posting. Although isn't the Clear Iceman statue,....just clear resin with blue highlights....?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #30
fantasticrour
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Variants are same sculped statue, just painted differently. I don't mind the same characters sculpted differently because to me, that's a whole new statue. A statue painted differently just to make more money, I mind.

Repaints, and faux bronze statues are the same sculpts just painted differently. Why urks me is that the Faux Bronze would be easier to pain and cost more.

And a Statue with the same sculpt with the exception of one having a rifle, I mind.
fantasticrour is offline   Reply With Quote