Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Thor Odinson
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Advice Needed! Broken Item in Shipping.

I'm new to statue collecting (and this forum) so I wanted to get your guys advice.

I recently purchased an older (2010) Sideshow statue off eBay. The item is the "Indiana Jones vs Mola Ram Diorama" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZxWuWqmWA) and it came damaged. Half of Indiana's hat is broken off and there wasn't any insurance purchased through USPS so I can’t file a claim with them. However, eBay said that I could file a claim with them, return the item (even though no returns was listed on the item), and get my money back. I contacted the seller and they have asked if I can glue the piece back on and use a colored marker to hide any damage.

My question is... should I keep it and attempt to fix it or would you recommend that I return it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7758.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	132654  
Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
ukshaun
Hercules

It's your call really. How difficult would it be to source another?
Atleast the repair would be at the back, and not the front of the piece.
If the broken off piece is in good shape, then sticking it in place should be simple enough. It will leave a hairline crack that could be painted in.

I once picked up a piece off of ebay back in 2016, and it arrived broken. The seller was not interested in returns, refunds etc. I ended up sticking the piece back together again. I left the hairline cracks as they were, as i did not want to get involved in painting.

Sucker Punch Blondie 1/4 - Gentle Giant

This is the piece in question.
Blondie arrived broken with 1 thumb, 4 fingers, 1 arm, 1 gun, all snapped off.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah it's entirely your call. More often than not the seller will give you a partial refund if you decide to keep it. Just don't be petty and leave them negative feedback like someone just did to me after I gave them a partial refund.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
It's your call really. How difficult would it be to source another?
Atleast the repair would be at the back, and not the front of the piece.
If the broken off piece is in good shape, then sticking it in place should be simple enough. It will leave a hairline crack that could be painted in.

I once picked up a piece off of ebay back in 2016, and it arrived broken. The seller was not interested in returns, refunds etc. I ended up sticking the piece back together again. I left the hairline cracks as they were, as i did not want to get involved in painting.

Sucker Punch Blondie 1/4 - Gentle Giant

This is the piece in question.
Blondie arrived broken with 1 thumb, 4 fingers, 1 arm, 1 gun, all snapped off.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Looks good from the picture!

I don't see a lot of them for sale on eBay so not sure how easy it would be to get another one. I also don't know how much the usually sell for but I paid $330 + shipping. Sideshow doesn't have an archived link for this item so I don't know the original price of it either.

The hat that is broken is on the side and in the back. My worry is that I will suck at repairing it and then I'll be stuck with it because I put glue on it...
Old 08-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
Yeah it's entirely your call. More often than not the seller will give you a partial refund if you decide to keep it. Just don't be petty and leave them negative feedback like someone just did to me after I gave them a partial refund.
No, I wouldn't do that. I don't blame the seller. I guess I should ask for insurance on items sold from eBay? Not sure if that is the standard practice.

I am bummed though. Out of the three statues I've ever ordered, two of them came with broken parts. The other broken one was new and purchased directly through Iron Studios. They didn't hassle me and I ended up returning it for a full refund. And then I got a statue (new Logan) from Sideshow, which came in good condition.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
Bad Protocol
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
I'm new to statue collecting (and this forum) so I wanted to get your guys advice.

I contacted the seller and they have asked if I can glue the piece back on and use a colored marker to hide any damage.

My question is... should I keep it and attempt to fix it or would you recommend that I return it?
If you attempt to glue be aware of the type, thickness, and amount you use. It could start taking the paint off immediately. 'Superglue' types are strong but it's a hit and miss thing.
Bad Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
No, I wouldn't do that. I don't blame the seller. I guess I should ask for insurance on items sold from eBay? Not sure if that is the standard practice.

I am bummed though. Out of the three statues I've ever ordered, two of them came with broken parts. The other broken one was new and purchased directly through Iron Studios. They didn't hassle me and I ended up returning it for a full refund. And then I got a statue (new Logan) from Sideshow, which came in good condition.
I'm sorry to hear that. I imagine that's a giant turn off for you to pursue this hobby. I've had streaks of bad luck like that and it makes me want to quit collecting when it happens. I only have one Iron Studios statue and it's leg was snapped off when it arrived.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Protocol View Post
If you attempt to glue be aware of the type, thickness, and amount you use. It could start taking the paint off immediately. 'Superglue' types are strong but it's a hit and miss thing.
Is there a recommend type or brand of glue that I should use if I decide to try and fix it?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
Bad Protocol
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Is there a recommend type or brand of glue that I should use if I decide to try and fix it?
I was trying to avoid any recommendations...

I want to say something with CYANOACRYLATE. It's in a lot of glues with varying viscosity. But like I said, you could end up doing further damage. When you squeeze the broken parts together you want to avoid, as much as possible, the glue exploding out of the crack.
Bad Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
Thor Odinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Protocol View Post
I was trying to avoid any recommendations...

I want to say something with CYANOACRYLATE. It's in a lot of glues with varying viscosity. But like I said, you could end up doing further damage. When you squeeze the broken parts together you want to avoid, as much as possible, the glue exploding out of the crack.
Okay. I will think about it... I'm kind of nervous about making it worse and un-returnable. Decisions...