Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
EnigmaMiniBust
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

A Note from A Comic Artist

Greetings gang.
It's about 3am as i write this...figuring out how to best write this out:

So I've received a lot...and I do stress a lot...of disheartening PMs lately regarding work that has not arrived. Instead of responding to each and every one...doing my best to explain...It's better to just put it out on the table.

Some of you know that I successfully began my professional career as a comic industry artist at the beginning of 2010. I had been doing art for many different genres, clients, and all sorts beforehand...but I strove that I wanted to be a comic artist this year. All was going great, and I hope sporadically I get to return...but here are the extenuating circumstances.

My father was diagnosed with an illness that couldn't be explained, and at first it required me to drive him to appointments once a week...and then it expanded to him not being able to drive anywhere. The times he did drive...he would pass out and go off the road. Its a bit rough facing your father going down in health and knowing there is nothing you can do...and having to possibly come to a term of mortality. Luckily...he has started to feel better lately...with more appointments and even more errands needing to be done.

To sum up...as I know you guys don't want to hear a life story...taking care of him turned into a full time thing. By the time I finished with any of his appointments and errands...majority of the time the post office would close. This is the main reason I got the assistant...and we all know how that worked out. Failed horribly. Recently my mother has also been feeling poorly (mental exhaustion)...even breaking her foot...which requires my mornings to drive her to her work and afternoons to pick her up.

Their argument was that my job 'wasn't a usual one' so i could always schedule around..but at the end of the day you are exhausted. I can't go to the post office at 6pm...and I couldn't get the proper rest to stay up until 2am so I can be up for west coasters when they needed me to drive them at 6am. (another reason why it took so long to get the marathon cards from may out) I have even had to break contract agreements with current projects due to these events...including pro sketch card sets, comic pages, my two artbooks, and pinup pages. This kills me the most...and what prompted me applying for a full time job.

I am now working at Fedex Office, which will dramatically help with getting things shipped out, but I will be taking an hiatus. Between this new job, my parent's declining condition, and certain family 'problems' I'll be limited to my 24 hour marathons and very very select commissions.

To those who are missing any work...IE batfan, goingbroke. Goingbroke...at this point I'm just going to redraw the Grr piece...I don't have it here....this is why i really hate the USPS. Batfan...sent you an email. End of week I will draw the piece on 9x12 so you will have both sizes...it was my error the first time. No idea where the sketchcard went. Bebo...I've sent you the tracking number to your puerto rico package by your paypal email.

I have lost a lot of great clients lately due to this unspoken need to not let people know what is going on in my personal life...but I'm at the end of the rope since it fully incorporates into my professional life now.

If you have any questions, comments, or anything I would love to hear from you all...past and present. I'm not asking for sympathy, I'm not saying my situation is unique, but I felt that there is this mysterious barrier when an artist doesn't let you know what is going on.

Yours,
Josh C. Lyman

On that note. I'll be doing my 24 hour marathon next week, to hold true to my word. Sadly on 6 spots have been reserved...but I'm not surprised with all the emails I just read. It's a blow.
EnigmaMiniBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Show was in April, daughter stopped askin about it . Dont sweat it.. No need to do another for her or send it...She hasnt mentioned it.
goingbroke223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Hey Josh, sorry to hear about all the family hardships... God Bless you for takin' such good care of your parents, bro.

Good to hear that your father's health is improving.

I realize that I'm not one of the people who's been impacted by your recent troubles, but man..family always comes first. The fact that you're coming forward to try and clear the air with people says a lot about your character... usually people wait until torches are waving publicly on this forum before they speak up and eat crow.

Congrats on the FedEx job.. and honestly, people understand that personal hardships throw monkey wrenches into even the most effficient, best-laid plans... and those Grumpy Guses who don't? Apologize to them, explaining your situation.. and then just let them twist in the wind.

Same goes for professional clients. You're a fantastic artist... it's disheartening to lose contracts/clients (I'm in a similar business, I know it's a b!tch when it happens), but.. there will always be more out there, who recognize your talent and want to hire you for it.

Take care, bud.

Ryan
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Statue and Bust
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Hey Josh. Keep at it, you have a ton of talent. Good luck and I hope things improve for you.
Statue and Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Hope everything works out for you Josh!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
oceans11
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I wasn't personally affected by this, and I'm mostly new to these forums but I am of the opinion that family always comes first. To see your parents in failing health has to be very rough, and definitely understand that you want to do everything that you can to help out; even to the unfortunate extent of having to break some contracts/lose some work.

I wanted to wish you the best for you and your family. Hoping their health issues get cleared up and you get everything sorted.
oceans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Tattoo-X

Hang in there Josh. We have no issues with any delays getting our art. We did receive the May pieces and the quick sketches. Thank you so much. I can understand a little with your parents health issues. My dad with be 87 on the 4th. Fortunately I have 6 siblings and a couple live close by to help out.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

hang in there man
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
DARivera
Artist
Producer

sorry buddy,keep ur head up.
DARivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I just now read this thread, Josh. I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Things will get better, I'm sure. I'll shoot you a PM reminding you of what I haven't received. Just get to it whenever you can. Take care of yourself.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote