Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

Red Circle heroes

Recently, DC acquired the license for the Red Circle characters, including (so far) The Shield, The Web, Inferno, and The Hangman. I've taken a mild interest in this, as I had some of the original comics as a kid, but none of the new series have caught my interest. They just don't have that "oomph".

That has now changed. I checked Newsarama the other day and found this:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-r...ox-100202.html
In brief, Brandon Jerwa and Michael Avon Oeming have signed on to produce The Fox. I'm not familiar with Jerwa, but it sounds like he's got some good ideas for the character. What really got my attention was Oeming's involvement. Like Mike Mignola, Oeming's style contains elements of the character's original artist, the great Alex Toth. From what I see in this article, Oeming is really channeling Toth for this series. I can't wait to see the pages in color.

For an example of Toth's original work on the character, check out a complete story here:

http://atomic-surgery.blogspot.com/2...alex-toth.html
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

Some company back in the early 80's, relaunched Red Circle Heroes. As I recall, they were good. I was never impressed with the art but the heroes themselves were cool. This was around the same time Atlas comics relaunched.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

I remember those, but i don't recall who published them. I do know that Rudy Nebres, Savage Sword of Conan inker extraordinaire, did some work on them.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I remember those, but i don't recall who published them. I do know that Rudy Nebres, Savage Sword of Conan inker extraordinaire, did some work on them.
I'll pull long boxes this week. I remember some guy in a black hood and a hangman's slip knot around his neck riding a tricked-out cycle. I'm certain I bought them all back in the day. Just don't know what I hung on to.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

Maybe old news, but DC no longer has the rights to use these characters - no real surprise after Straczynski's disastrous handling of them.

It looks like Archie Comics is finally taking control of their superheroes and is stepping up to publish them, as it's mentioned in the recent The Best of Archie Comics that the same 400-page digest format will be used for reprints of The Fly. I hope/expect that their other heroes will follow. If they'd include the material from the '80s, as well as DC's Impact! line, even better - those were fun.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
protector2814
Phoenix

I'm rather comforted to readt that Archie Comics has them. They seem to definately know what they're doing lately.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Babytoxie
Ghost

Indeed!

I don't understand why Archie Comics farms out their material to Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, etc., when they are perfectly capable of handling it themselves. And then those other publishers charge so much for those "upscale" reprints...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Indeed!

I don't understand why Archie Comics farms out their material to Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, etc., when they are perfectly capable of handling it themselves. And then those other publishers charge so much for those "upscale" reprints...
They may just not be capable.
If I read the subscription, trade, magazine & back-issue order forms right, Archie comics seems almost a mom & pop publishing house. Honestly, I picture a 2-story walk-up with a couple rooms being devoted to stock and a few offices devoted to an in-house art, writing, and editorial staff. If I'm right, that makes me love 'em all the more.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Babytoxie
Ghost

And they're back at Archie!

Oh man, it is on! This is an amazing deal - just the nudge I needed to go digital:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=34874

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
Dark Knight
The Cuban Crusader

My first exposure to these guys was the Impact line. I enjoyed the Comet, the Fly and Legend of the Shield. I was very happy when it was announced that DC had gotten them again, but frustrated when they wouldn't really show them in other books. I liked The Shield and the backup stories for the Fox, but my favorite was the Web. Just a cool concept with an internet based hero named the Web, very 21st century.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote