Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Raven08
Doh!

How to begin painting?

Hello, I am new here, and new to statues! I am working on a statue of Colossus and Kitty Pryde from Astonishing X Men. I've been reading all the helpful advise here, and it has guided me through all the preliminary work on this piece. It is now ready to be painted. I have Golden and Tamiya paints, and I also have Floetrol. I do not have an airbrush, so it will all be done with a brush.

I'm quite nervous about starting and have some questions.

Do I begin with light colors first, and do the darker colors last, or does that matter?

I think I am worried the most about my ability to make the shadows and highlights correctly, so it looks real and not flat. Like Colossus' shorts are red, do I paint the whole area in a basic red, then a darker red for the deep folds, lighter on top of the folds?? Do I have to highlight Kitty's black form fitting costume? How would I do that?

I have also read about black wash, would this be what to use for the shadiing? And when is that applied?

The statue has been sitting too long only because I am so hesitant about starting, afraid I will totally mess it up!
Raven08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
rayphoton
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

If you want to do a really good job on this one, then honestly do your first painting on a statue or kit your not totally in love with. Your first ever paint job is probably not gonna be great. When i first started painting my statue looked...."not good". But like all things practice makes perfect. Id recommend getting some other statue or kit and playing with it, see what looks good, what looks bad and getting a feel for your paints and tools.

As for shading, start with your mid color and then add shadows and highlights to bring it to life.

good luck
rayphoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hi There,

To aid you along with painting, you might want to
consider buying some model building magazines. They
are packed full of great step by step articles.

Kitbuilders magazine
http://www.kitbuildersmagazine.com/
AFM
http://www.amazingmodeler.com/

You might also consider picking up some of David
Fischers Model mania videos. These are fantastic for
any painter!

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Just grab a paint brush and start messing with colours, everybody starts that way.

Buy a cheap brush and some acrylic and unleash hell on a plastic board or some old toys you don't want.

Do not recommand airbrush for newbies. One sure can learn running before walking but when people ask you to walk you're busted...
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Raven08
Doh!

Thanks everyone, for your ideas and comments. I agree, some practice is in order before trying the big piece. This is a gift for a friend so I truly do not want to achieve "not good"!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

The route to go, is what Danno suggested, this will give you the knowledge and the rest is just practice and the actual doing.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Jesse321
Galactus

Kit Builders Magazine has an event at Wonderfest each year called "Kit Builders University" ... basically it's a painting class ... if you take the beginner's class you get to keep the airbrush, compressor, paints, supplies and kits that you paint ... it's a great way to get your feet wet into painting.

Also David Fisher's Model Mania DVD's, Kit Builder's and Amazing Figure Modeler Magazines ... indispensable resources for painting info.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
boobhound
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Kit Builders Magazine has an event at Wonderfest each year called "Kit Builders University" ... basically it's a painting class ... if you take the beginner's class you get to keep the airbrush, compressor, paints, supplies and kits that you paint ... it's a great way to get your feet wet into painting.

Also David Fisher's Model Mania DVD's, Kit Builder's and Amazing Figure Modeler Magazines ... indispensable resources for painting info.
And hopefully next year I get to go!
boobhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Raven08
Doh!

Where is this Wonderfest held each year? I would certainly love to go. I'm also going to subscribe to the magazine. Last night I ordered an inexpensive vinyl kit of Logan from eBay, and also a Wolverine notepad holder that is resin, that I intend to repaint, to practice on. Not sure how different painting vinyl is compared to resin.

Is this black wash technique used much by you guys? It sounds like a good way to add depth but doesn't the ink stain the higher points before you can wipe it off?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven08 View Post
Where is this Wonderfest held each year? I would certainly love to go. I'm also going to subscribe to the magazine. Last night I ordered an inexpensive vinyl kit of Logan from eBay, and also a Wolverine notepad holder that is resin, that I intend to repaint, to practice on. Not sure how different painting vinyl is compared to resin.

Is this black wash technique used much by you guys? It sounds like a good way to add depth but doesn't the ink stain the higher points before you can wipe it off?
Wonderfest is held in good ole Kentucky every year and is like the superbowl for modelers everywhere, I myself have never made it to the show yet ...but it is on my wishlist to do, I just have to persuade my family to want to go to Kentucky for a vacation, which will be a little difficult being that we are from Hawaii.

You can make a blackwash with acrylic paint, and even a blackwash with ink can be wiped quickly on the highpoints while leaving a darker tint in the recessed area's, really any darker color than your base paint can be used as a wash to add depth.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote