Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches > Tony Perna

Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #71
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordanFan View Post
Now your cooking with fire!!! Good artists can make a nice amount of scratch on their cards. I think a "NAR" just went for $2500.00
NAR?

2500 while i think the art is Awesome but 2500 for a 3x4 card. sry
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #72
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

NAR is a sketch artist. His regular sketches pack pulled from the Women of Marvel average between $550-$1000.
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #73
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Now your cooking with fire!!! Good artists can make a nice amount of scratch on their cards. I think a "NAR" just went for $2500.00
If your refering to the Mary Jane card that just sold for a best offer of $2 250.00 there is more to that story. I know the buyer and she got that Nar Mary Jane card plus a master set of sketch cards for that price. A master set is one sketch card from each artist on the set.

And it's not the artist who makes that money, but the collector who pack pulled the card. Although, I've seen some of Nar's artists proofs fetch a nice penny and that goes to him.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #74
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

Quote:
Smart man! Collector's appreciate it. The other side of the fence would be being the most hated man is our hobby Waterhouse!
It just might be nothing but head sketches from now on. It's very time consuming doing body shots all day. If people want body shots they should just commission them. With alot of cards some people are lucky to pull a nicely detailed card. Most artist draw very quickly. Some people complain too much about the art, but that's the chance they take when they buy a box. With some cards that I've seen approved in past sets I don't think it'll matter if he does just headshots. It is a card set after all with the sketch cards as a chase card. Too many people want the artist too kill themselves so they can turn around and sell the sketches for alot of dough. Whatever happened to card sets where people bough a box for the thrill of the actual cards and chase cards before the sketch cards came along? I think card companies are overduing it now.

Quote:
NAR is a sketch artist. His regular sketches pack pulled from the Women of Marvel average between $550-$1000.
Yeah, we wish we could get anywhere near what those go for. Some of the prices for these cards are ridiculous.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #75
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
It just might be nothing but head sketches from now on. It's very time consuming doing body shots all day. If people want body shots they should just commission them. With alot of cards some people are lucky to pull a nicely detailed card. Most artist draw very quickly. Some people complain too much about the art, but that's the chance they take when they buy a box. With some cards that I've seen approved in past sets I don't think it'll matter if he does just headshots. It is a card set after all with the sketch cards as a chase card. Too many people want the artist too kill themselves so they can turn around and sell the sketches for alot of dough. Whatever happened to card sets where people bough a box for the thrill of the actual cards and chase cards before the sketch cards came along? I think card companies are overduing it now.

Yeah, we wish we could get anywhere near what those go for. Some of the prices for these cards are ridiculous.

I really don't think that the sketch market could revert back to just head shots. If everything came out like a Tom Hodges headshot I think sales would decline on sketch products. I know I'd personally stop cracking cases if they were the only good inserts for that product. People like NAR, Hernandez, Perna, Sohn etc... are the reason these products survive. I made more than half my money back on my case of Iron with a Gabriel/Chachi Hernandez sketch. Nothing against some artists but the better artists are what sell the product for the most part.

But I 1,000,000% agree with you on the card companies over using sketches (costumes too) lately. I'd personally be happy as hell if RA or Upperdeck put out just a base set with traditional inserts again. With a super hard pull as the 1995 Masterpiece Mirage cards were.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #76
Rogue
I wear the pants around here
Producer

Quote:
I really don't think that the sketch market could revert back to just head shots. If everything came out like a Tom Hodges headshot I think sales would decline on sketch products. I know I'd personally stop cracking cases if they were the only good inserts for that product. People like NAR, Hernandez, Perna, Sohn etc... are the reason these products survive. I made more than half my money back on my case of Iron with a Gabriel/Chachi Hernandez sketch. Nothing against some artists but the better artists are what sell the product for the most part.

But I 1,000,000% agree with you on the card companies over using sketches (costumes too) lately. I'd personally be happy as hell if RA or Upperdeck put out just a base set with traditional inserts again. With a super hard pull as the 1995 Masterpiece Mirage cards were.
I personally would also like to pull something more than a head sketch too. Infact, I pulled a terrible Electra half-face head shot from one of my boxes and we paid $75.00 for our box, but you also have to understand that when an artist is given a month or a month and a half to do 150+ highly detailed cards, it gets hard drawing them all body shots. Especially when the artist also has regular things to attend to at home. That's why most artist do the quick head shots. Tony's head shots will atleast be detailed like the ones he did for DC Legacy and Women of Marvel and permission was already given to him to do that. The sketch cards companies, just don't want anymore half faces or side profile shots. Some of Tony's cards will feature some body shots, but not a HUGE amount of them. There will even be some nice action shots (Example: Human Torch flying towards camera with buildings all around or the FF building the the background, but it won't be a total body shot because the legs will be in a shadow perspective point of view. Like I said it's totally time consuming and one of the next sets to hit the market is only paying artist a flat $5.00 a card with NO artist proofs or anything back and they want the cards to be full color.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #77
Tattoo-X

Hey Tony, are you working on Masterpieces 3 and Fantastic Four?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #78
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
If your refering to the Mary Jane card that just sold for a best offer of $2 250.00 there is more to that story. I know the buyer and she got that Nar Mary Jane card plus a master set of sketch cards for that price. A master set is one sketch card from each artist on the set.

And it's not the artist who makes that money, but the collector who pack pulled the card. Although, I've seen some of Nar's artists proofs fetch a nice penny and that goes to him.

I think I've seen some of your fetch a nice haul as well. You cards are top notch and anyone who pulls one should be damn happy.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #79
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
I think I've seen some of your fetch a nice haul as well. You cards are top notch and anyone who pulls one should be damn happy.
You must be refering to my Lord of the Rings Masterpieces 2 6 returned cards as I haven't done anything with my MM07 or WoM artists proofs. Remember though, I only got paid $1.50 per card (which I still haven't been paid for) for LOTRM2. The 6 back is what made it worth doing.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #80
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo-X View Post
Hey Tony, are you working on Masterpieces 3 and Fantastic Four?
I've been asked to work on Fantastic Four but I may pass. I'm still debating on it. I'm not sure what's going on with Masterpieces 3. If I have the time, I'll work on it.